Toronto Bathurst Quay Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Kearns Mancini

I hate to add to the constant whine that seems to emanate from UrbanToronto at times, but does anyone else find this plan to be as disappointing as me? First, I just can't believe a surface parking lot would be proposed in 2019. I'm sure there are those who think it is necessary because of the airport, but I just can't help but feel it is wrong. Take transit or a cab. Second, the surface space is far too pavement-centric. What is the expanse supposed to be used for? Will there be programming? Why isn't there more greenery/landscaping/trees? It just strikes me as a fairly banal project with a lack of imagination. Now, if the Silos were to become a world-class venue of some kind, I could potentially forgive it, but as it stands now it seems to me that it will essentially be a sea of grey pavings/parking lot mirrored by a sky of grey concrete.

Typical design by committee kind of end product - and we haven't even gotten to execution stage and VE yet. That trees on the anemic mounds thing, pfftt.

AoD

Ireland Park Foundation signs five-year lease on Toronto building to commemorate the Irish in Canada
The city did not close its borders and turn away the migrants, even those with incurable diseases, said Robert Kearns, chair and founder of Ireland Park Foundation, an arts, culture and heritage organization dedicated to commemorating the Irish in Canada. The story of Toronto’s “generous and courageous response,” resonates more than a century later and will be told at a new exhibition and event space on the city’s waterfront, he said.

The event space will be housed in Canada Malting Company’s former executive office adjacent to Ireland Park on the city’s waterfront and host public art and cultural events
. On Sunday, Mr. Kearns signed a five-year lease on the building, which is owned by the City of Toronto and comprises 8,000 square feet spread over three floors.

“We are intent upon turning this building into a jewel box on the waterfront and making it a place of destination for all citizens of Toronto and all visitors to Toronto,” he said at a signing ceremony at Toronto City Hall.

I hate to add to the constant whine that seems to emanate from UrbanToronto at times, but does anyone else find this plan to be as disappointing as me? First, I just can't believe a surface parking lot would be proposed in 2019. I'm sure there are those who think it is necessary because of the airport, but I just can't help but feel it is wrong. Take transit or a cab. Second, the surface space is far too pavement-centric. What is the expanse supposed to be used for? Will there be programming? Why isn't there more greenery/landscaping/trees? It just strikes me as a fairly banal project with a lack of imagination. Now, if the Silos were to become a world-class venue of some kind, I could potentially forgive it, but as it stands now it seems to me that it will essentially be a sea of grey pavings/parking lot mirrored by a sky of grey concrete.

It's classic Toronto. Best to lower your expectations.

Typically not a peep on the silos themselves either.

I'm so happy Metronome never came to fruition. I suspect it would have blazed past the Olympic Spirit as Toronto's modern white elephant.

Tangentially related, but still important. Cressy is hoping to close off Fleet Street from Iannuzzi to Bathurst (1 block).

Can't tell if this is in both directions or if just the westbound lane north of the streetcar ROW. Closing that lane makes a lot of sense. Cars coming down Bathurst make that turn at full speed. It's dangerous. Closing it won't really affect anyone. Local traffic can turn into the neighbourhood a block earlier at Bruyeres Mews. All other traffic already turns right on to Lake Shore.

But the eastbound lane on Fleet is necessary for those on Lake Shore to turn on to Bathurst. Forcing all traffic to turn left at Dan Leckie Way will flood City Place with routine traffic.

Ideally, the entire intersection should be redesigned with a left turn lane and traffic light on Lake Shore.

That idea has been tossed around for quite a few years. I think it was Joe, but it might have been someone else, was on TV years ago explaining how it would all work.

I see this thread started in JULY 2003. Here we go...

Construction of Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan improvement projects to officially start tomorrow

Mayor John Tory will be joined tomorrow by Councillor Joe Cressy (Ward 10 Spadina-Fort York), Robert Kearns, Chair and Founder of Ireland Park Foundation, Toronto District School Board Trustee Stephanie Donaldson and Geoffrey Wilson, Chief Executive Officer of PortsToronto to officially mark the start of construction of capital projects being delivered under the City-led Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan.

Date: Friday, October 25

Time: 2 p.m. (rain or shine)

Location: 5 Eireann Quay (also known as the Canada Malting Silos property, at the foot of Eireann Quay, adjacent to the west side of Ireland Park)

The improvements include new and improved public spaces and streetscapes; dockwall restoration to support enhanced public access to the water's edge; reconfiguration of the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport's operating footprint on the property to accommodate planned features and improve public access to the waterfront; and transformation of an existing City-owned building to support new cultural programming space on the waterfront.

The origin of the capital projects starting construction is a July 2017 City Council request for the City, working with external partners, to develop a strategy for delivering public realm and streetscape improvements in the Bathurst Quay neighbourhood, with focus on the under-utilized Canada Malting Silos site.

Last edited:
Today, Mayor John Tory was joined by Councillor Joe Cressy (Ward 10 Spadina-Fort York), Robert G. Kearns, Chair and Founder of Ireland Park Foundation (IPF), Toronto District School Board (TDSB) Trustee Stephanie Donaldson and Geoffrey Wilson, Chief Executive Officer of PortsToronto to officially mark the start of construction on approximately $15 million in capital projects to be delivered under the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan.

The City is leading the multi-partner effort to deliver improvements to the Bathurst Quay neighbourhood and the Canada Malting property – a City-owned, underused brownfield site on Toronto's waterfront. These improvements include new and improved public spaces and streetscapes; dockwall restoration to support enhanced public access to the water's edge; reconfiguration of Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport's operating footprint on the property to accommodate planned features and improve public access to the waterfront; and transformation of an existing City-owned building to support new cultural programming space on the waterfront.

Six distinct but overlapping local improvement projects are at various stages of funding, design and implementation in this waterfront neighbourhood:

1. Rehabilitation of the Western Channel dockwall, to be rebuilt with an attractive waterfront promenade. The City is the lead.

2. Various property improvements by PortsToronto, including reconfiguration of Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport's transportation footprint and work to support a future plaza space on the Canada Malting property. PortsToronto is the lead with the City.

3. Repair and repurpose the historic Administrative Building as a new arts, community and cultural hub on the waterfront. IPF is the lead.

4. Redesign the Eireann Quay right-of-way with enhanced focus on pedestrian safety and amenities. The City is the lead with PortsToronto.

5. Construction of a new public plaza on the City-owned Canada Malting property and TDSB play-space improvements. The City is the lead with the TDSB.

6. Repairs to the historic Canada Malting Silos. The City is the lead.

Artists' renderings of the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan improvement projects are available at https://www.toronto.ca/home/media-r...bourhood-plan-improvement-project-renderings/.

Construction of the first two projects (dockwall and property improvements) will begin in 2019 and have a combined construction value of approximately $10 million. The next three projects will start construction in 2020 and are expected to be completed by 2021. Total construction value of currently funded projects is about $15 million. The City has prepared a cost estimate for necessary repairs to the Canada Malting Silos, with future funding sources to be determined.

City funding sources to date include: Section 37 funds; environmental remediation reserve funds; a financial contribution from CreateTO (formerly Toronto Port Lands Company) towards dockwall repairs; and City divisional funding for various technical studies. The project has been made possible through a funding partnership with PortsToronto and IPF.

The July 2017 Council direction for the City to develop a strategy for delivering public realm and streetscape improvements in the Bathurst Quay neighbourhood, with a focus on the under-utilized Canada Malting Silos site, is available at http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2017.TE25.55.

Quotes

"Through the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan, Toronto’s waterfront will be transformed into a space that residents and visitors can enjoy throughout the year. I'm proud that this revitalization will build Bathurst Quay into a destination where our beautiful waterfront intersects with the strong arts and culture sector of our city.”

- Mayor John Tory

"The Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan is waterfront revitalization at its best. The product of more than 50 meetings with dozens of groups, including every single co-op, condo, and apartment building in the neighbourhood, our plan is transforming derelict public land into a waterfront destination for arts and culture that is knit seamlessly into the existing local community."

- Councillor Joe Cressy (Ward 10 Spadina-Fort York)

"We are forever grateful to Councillor Joe Cressy and the City of Toronto for the opportunity to acquire this building beside Ireland Park on Toronto’s Waterfront. We plan to renovate this building as an arts and heritage destination as part of our long-term agenda. Ireland Park Foundation commemorates and celebrates the story of the Irish in Canada."

- Robert G. Kearns, Chair and Founder, Ireland Park Foundation

“PortsToronto is proud to support the City-led Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan, which will include various improvements in the vicinity of Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport and Eireann Quay, and lay the groundwork for a revitalized space that will bring the community and visitors down to enjoy Toronto’s waterfront. It is collaborative projects like this one that make our great city even greater, and we are exceptionally proud to be a part of this initiative, one that will provide enjoyment for Torontonians and further blend Billy Bishop Airport into this thriving community.”

- Geoffrey Wilson, Chief Executive Officer, PortsToronto, owner and operator of Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport

"The school community and TDSB staff have been working hard to advance plans for a much-needed revitalization of the playground at The Waterfront School. I am delighted that we are constructing the playground improvements this coming year as part of the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan and with funding from the City of Toronto. The new playground will support safe and fun play for students and the whole community."

- Toronto District School Board Trustee Stephanie Donaldson (Ward 9)

Back