Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Aren't they already in the podium of RCP1? Will that branch be moving, or is this a new one? Are they trying to be as common as Starbucks?

No idea if RoCP1 branch will be closed. Even the move to AURA has not been officially announced. I think heard it in the sales office from a BMO employee. She was there to take a mortgage aplplication.

Big-box retail can work downtown. While there have been poor attempts (e.g. Best Buy and the Canadian Tire at Bay & Dundas) there have also been many successful attempts both here and in other cities, as Tewder pointed out. If done well, they can really bring a "big city" feel to the downtown core. Hell, Times Square is almost nothing but big-box retail and chain restaurants.

Times Square sucks now, plain and simple. Large anchor stores dotted here and there that are on busy walkable streets are fine, but too many are not fine IMO. Bottom line is, it looks like Canderel is doing it right here.

Even if a big box store was put into the ground floor, it's not like they couldn't subdivide it the space in the future if they needed to. After all, College Park was originally intended to be one store before it was turned into several. And Holt Renfrew isn't killing Yorkville with its big box-ism, and neither is the Bay on Queen.

The issue isn't that big box retail kills the area, it's that greater diversity of retail is better for the area. I'm sure this building will make the area better than a parking lot, almost no matter what goes in the retail, but I hope it's not just a few giant suburban chain stores.

The issue isn't that big box retail kills the area, it's that greater diversity of retail is better for the area. I'm sure this building will make the area better than a parking lot, almost no matter what goes in the retail, but I hope it's not just a few giant suburban chain stores.

Aslong as no more Pickle Barrel's open up I'm a-ok. Worst-Chain-Ever!
Alice Fazooli's? Can't say I've tried it, but recognize the name from some Big Box Plazas, namely QEW/Winston Churchill.. prolly the worst Box Plaza in existence (ie: randomly placed boxes in the middle of a giant lot).

Wonder if any patio space will exist either beside or behind the bldg, bringing some life into the Park. Or will outdoor eating be confined to the upper, terraced, levels?

:

Wonder if any patio space will exist either beside or behind the bldg, bringing some life into the Park. Or will outdoor eating be confined to the upper, terraced, levels?

Existing park is supposed to be 'rehabilitated' by Canderel -- whatever the term means -- after the construction mess has been cleaned.

Dirt is going back in to cover the pedestrian portion between the buildings. Do we have detailed renders of how this portion is going to be landscaped? I don't recall seeing any.

6030399389_b9ab9bd4e7_z.jpg

6030402453_ff578f5d04_z.jpg

6030405801_1961ece614_z.jpg

Further to my earlier post, condo documents describe the pathway as Hayter Street, now closed to traffic but still owned by the City providing access to city owned park.

This Morning

dscf0675w.jpg

Back