Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Traynor,

The retail basement is even sadder in real life. The corridors feel narrower than they appear in sMT's photos and the retail spaces are about the same size as those kiosks at Pacific Mall. I really don't know what kind of business would open up down there [Aura], unless it was some kind of front.

Also, is that laminate hardwood flooring in the Food Court? Choosing laminate flooring in a public space that is a food court in a city with this kind of winter weather where they dump as much sand and salt as we do is only marginally less stupid than carpet, but only just.

Last edited:
It has a very post-apocalyptic feel to it, mostly because there is nobody else down there. You kind of expect to see a horde of zombies every time you round a corner - something I think my girlfriend was genuinely worried about. As for the retail spaces, I doubt any quality retailers are going to want to set up shop in a space with dimensions similar to a prison cell. On the other hand, a few of the underground stores in the Yonge-Eglinton Center have similar kiosk-sized spaces and they seem relatively successful...

Here's a sobering thought: Which will look less dumpy at 200 years old: Aura or Downtown Yonge Street?

From Elm Street--Aura finally gets a proper podium! :p

20130119163537.jpg

The really unfortunate part is at this rate, much more of Yonge will transform into a bleak and lifeless retail strip. Proposals such as 460 & 625 Yonge do not exactly provide much hope for optimism.

Hence, my relentless and admittedly frequent but passionate arguments against overdeveloping a great walking street like downtown Yonge. Hopefully the North Downtown Yonge Street Planning Framework will get Council approval and be in place by late winter or early spring as it can't come quickly enough. I learned yesterday that there are 10 or 12 land assembly properties now complete and in the works south of Bloor. That would be the nail in the coffin for downtown Yonge.

So, there will be 10 or 12 high-rise condos on the strip of Yonge between Bloor & Dundas, all or most with retail at their base. I don't believe this means the end of Yonge as a great walking street. It will be different for sure, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Not everything that is older is worth preserving, and when a city becomes a BIG city, certain things are lost, but many things may be gained. I personally would not shed too many tears to see a lot of those sad little shops disappear. I'm not an architect or a city planner. Just a guy who loves the city of Toronto and the way it is growing.

I wouldn't mind some of the salons to go, there seems to be alot of those along Young. Queen Street to has to many high end clothing stores all very highly priced for the average person. Honestly whos pays 200$ for a t shirt. some of the more cultured stores should be kept.

Last edited:
So, there will be 10 or 12 high-rise condos on the strip of Yonge between Bloor & Dundas, all or most with retail at their base. I don't believe this means the end of Yonge as a great walking street. It will be different for sure, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Not everything that is older is worth preserving, and when a city becomes a BIG city, certain things are lost, but many things may be gained. I personally would not shed too many tears to see a lot of those sad little shops disappear. I'm not an architect or a city planner. Just a guy who loves the city of Toronto and the way it is growing.

You have undercounted the number of condo towers coming to this strip of Yonge Street. I know of at least 30 sites coming up--in addition to the currently under construction projects! (And it won't just be 2s buildings coming down...;)

I can already sense the energy coming to Yonge Street. From the new Loblaws at MLG (checked it out yesterday for the first time and it's fantastic!) to a couple of new indie espresso shops--the Red Bench included--Yonge Street is turning a new chapter.

The year: 2030. The strip: Yonge Street between Bloor and Queen. The tower count: 50+

Last edited:
2030 isn't that far off and clearly the condo market is cooling off. "Brand new" units are sitting on mls.ca like never before during this boom. The developments continue to grow in size too. At the very least, annual sales will be eaten up by fewer tower projects.

Starting to install the balcony glass - January 19

SkyJacked those are some great shots.
I wonder if you can (purely for fun) try to find the Aura webcam (mounted to the eastern face of one of the ROCP towers) with your ultra-zoom camera. I always try to spot it from ground level but never can. I know it is mounted outside the building because of how it moves on windy days and gets water on the lens, so it isnt a wild goose chase!
I think this is the Aura webcam on the SE corner of the north ROCP tower. This is the best I could zoom in with my camera.

Interesting balcony glass. Not sure whether I like it or not yet. Maybe when it's all up it'll look good. Cute guy on the balcony though. :)

Back