Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

The rendering shows a very light and highly reflective building with a smooth and finely detailed skin. Just like what's being built! Err, no I mean nothing like what's being built.

Also (pet peeve) "render" is a verb. You draw to make a drawing. You paint to make a painting. You render to make a rendering.

Go ahead and call ma a grammar nazi.

The UT database used to have a massive day-time rendering of Aura that did a good job of showing the finer details. It seems to have been deleted, but it nevertheless showed spandrel glass and mullions being used generously. The large night rendering is the best I can find:

123-1907.jpg

http://urbantoronto.ca/database/projects/aura-college-park

The UT database used to have a massive day-time rendering of Aura that did a good job of showing the finer details. It seems to have been deleted, but it nevertheless showed spandrel glass and mullions being used generously. The large night rendering is the best I can find:

You mean this one?

kbbNV.jpg

I recall looking forward to seeing the incredible amount energy at street level you'd associate with a 4 floor retail podium, Yonge Street address, 75 story tower. Instead its depressingly dead, dull, sterile.

Let's see... It's still a construction site, no one lives in the building yet, only one or two stores are open... Yeah, it should be Times Square by now. What's taking so long?

:rolleyes:

Hahahaha. Good one Traynor. Can't imagine why an empty building is so devoid of vibrant activity.

Agreed. If this were 2020, the building complete, 1000 people fuller with a fair number of retail units leased, I'd be pretty disappointed if the level of activity was the same as it is now. But they are barely half-finished the building. Can we please let them finish before we bitch about how dull and empty it is. It sure as hell won't be empty in a couple years. Maybe sterile but not empty.

Although, I will grant that I miss the vendors that used to set up along there. I'd love to see a return of the hot dog stand and portrait guys

I have to say, the rendering for this building, honestly is one of the most realistic renderings I've seen i.e. it very closely resembles the current product.

I wonder if the light feature is going to happen ?

...I wonder if the light feature is going to happen ?

I don't know of any Light Feature for Aura. If you are referring to the beams of light in the above night rendition... Then I would attribute that to artistic licence by the advertising agency who came up with it. (Generally, residents don't appreciate high-powered spot lights aimed at their units at night.) However, the ones from the crown may be tolerated, though highly unlikely.

They could do the feature if they wanted. Putting the lights in a recessed track would work, or boxing them in with fins on either side so that light doesn't spill into the windows. Not saying that means the feature is happening, just that it could if they really wanted to.

Pretty sure we'll see the lights on the building. I wouldn't call that artistic license, but a design feature of the building.

The only part of the basement that appears to be decently leased out is the food court. Unfortunately, with poor pedestrian circulation (by design and lack of other retail leads) it too looks destined to be a flop in the immediate future. Can't see too many people eating at a dead end space with low exposure, that leads to nowhere.

Last edited:
I wonder if the light feature is going to happen ?

Canderel's bizarre lighting atop ROCP 1 & 2 (the random white back-lit panels + blue-light bathing each corner) are the most unattractive roof top lighting features perhaps in the city, I'd much prefer it all just be kept turned off and leave Aura well enough alone. The two Murano towers suffered a similar fate using back-lit lighting (less the blue) and much of it has appeared burned out for quite some time now, though it's still not as bad as ROCP and there is no lit roof feature at Burano. I generally like roof top lighting features but when they're done poorly or cheaply, we're stuck with it.

Back