Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Passing by yesterday I got the feeling that the 3rd level (now forming at the north end) is becoming a bit much. This huge podium could go one way or another, kill this stretch or improve upon it if it's handled successfully. Perhaps the scale of the podium will feel less intimidating when that monster tower is complete above it but I didn't get a good feeling about it yesterday.

Passing by yesterday I got the feeling that the 3rd level (now forming at the north end) is becoming a bit much. This huge podium could go one way or another, kill this stretch or improve upon it if it's handled successfully. Perhaps the scale of the podium will feel less intimidating when that monster tower is complete above it but I didn't get a good feeling about it yesterday.

Right now it's no taller than College Park, and that doesn't feel too imposing.

Right now it's no taller than College Park, and that doesn't feel too imposing.

Well, it kind of does. It blocks the sun in the afternoon on the east side of Yonge but it's such a beautiful building to pass by and it's Yonge Street side is mostly street friendly, so it works. Continuing south of College Park with another high, sun-blocking mass concerns me, it didn't look as threatening in the renderings. But again, if it's handled well at street level and uses quality materials (remember, it's Canderel, so it worries me) all will be well.

I was standing across from the podium wondering as well if it was too big, but I think the forming equipment and poles creates this claustrophobia. Once the panels are withdrawn and the large double-story levels are clad, it will feel less imposing.

Buildings always look more imposing and potentially menacing before the glass goes on. What's dark now will be bouncing light in the future. Think about other projects that were once in this state prior to completion, and you'll see that all it takes is a little reflection.

Interesting article on New York/Gehry.
So, i'm guessing this is the tallest condo in North America, but I believe Aura will take that title (which, i can't even believe). I dig this tower, and even though Aura will be taller, the views here will still be unmatched,

Inside Gotham's newest skyscraper, New York by Gehry

gehrylead.jpg

"The tallest residential building in the United States at 76 stories, 8 Spruce St. is so giant it feels like you can reach over from a high window and pick up the Statue of Liberty between your thumb and pointer finger. When you step into any bay window formed by the tower’s angled curtain wall, all you can say is: “Whoa. Whoa.â€

http://bestplaces.nydailynews.com/stories/inside-gothams-newest-skyscraper-new-york-gehry

^ I saw a promotional video on that Gehry tower when it was first debuting and even though I don't like the materials they used, the building is very impressive and innovative. Plus, the view doesn't hurt either.

I like this building better then "ABOSOLUTE" at MCC... It reminds me of the movie "inception"!! we need this in toronto!!!

I like this building better then "ABOSOLUTE" at MCC... It reminds me of the movie "inception"!! we need this in toronto!!!

LOL! yeah, that building is pure class... though these days, what's being built here has gotten cheaper and cheaper and cheaper....

^ I saw a promotional video on that Gehry tower when it was first debuting and even though I don't like the materials they used, the building is very impressive and innovative. Plus, the view doesn't hurt either.

I dig the building too, HOWEVER, my only complaint is the flat sides without the curves.... it looks bad,
and yeah, the curves are amazing...

holy cow! now that they're removing the support things in between floors, you can see how insanely tall these podium ceiling heights are gonna be!

and you can also see the floor that we're on now!:

29410_1.jpg

holy cow! now that they're removing the support things in between floors, you can see how insanely tall these podium ceiling heights are gonna be!

Yup, finally a decent sized podium. This area desperately needed some big city scale. Hopefully, it will provide a good shield from the sun and lay the ground work for a deep 'canyon' in this part of town. You just don't get that big city feel at Gerrard/Yonge so this will go a long way to correcting that.

Last edited:
Yup, finally a decent sized podium. This area desperately needed some big city scale. Hopefully, it will provide a good shield from the sun and lay the ground work for a deep 'canyon' in this part of town. You just don't get that big city feel at Gerrard/Yonge so this will go a long way to correcting that.

Strangely enough, I'm actually really looking forward to the retail/mall portion of the building, hopefull it'll add a lot to the existing college park shops, and create a new hub of retail/entertainment.....

Random people will say, "I'll meet you at Aura?" , yes?, no?, maybe?,
Or, "I'll meet you at that big building at college park?"

Back