Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

It has a way of making the street feel really clausterphobic.

That's my problem with large podiums on busy, walkable streets and why I oppose all these new proposals popping up along downtown Yonge. Highrises behind shops on Yonge Street (i.e. FIVE, 75 St. Nicholas, Uptown, Blu, 8 Gloucester St. etc.) are what I'd really like to see more of.

That's my problem with large podiums on busy, walkable streets and why I oppose all these new proposals popping up along downtown Yonge. Highrises behind shops on Yonge Street (i.e. FIVE, 75 St. Nicholas, Uptown, Blu, 8 Gloucester St. etc.) are what I'd really like to see more of.

It is so incredibly urban to have restaurants and shops as your front yard. Canyons have their place, but I'm with you when it comes to Yonge north of College.

Count me in for more towers built right up to the street. I want to feel like I'm in a canyon. I want the big city feel that creates.

I'm far more interested in the street and don't want towers to overwhelm them. People put too focus on height and I personally don't want canyons. I want a mix...

Count me in for more towers built right up to the street. I want to feel like I'm in a canyon. I want the big city feel that creates.

Me too. If people want 2-3 floor buildings, there's tons of that on Bloor West Village, Danforth, Spadina, etc. In the core, I want to feel like I'm in a big city, not fall asleep.

I love the big city canyon feel too, but maybe it would be even better to have city core streets lined with skyscrapers set back from the street, with wide user-friendly sidewalks. Maybe that would give you the best of both worlds. Canyons yes, but wider canyons. Of course, it'll never happen. Too much valuable real estate wasted on mere humans. :)

Honestly, Aura isn't really the "best" canyon skyscraper or a role model for one... The tower itself is pushed back AWAY from both Yonge and Gerard streets, so if you did have a perfectly lined up street wall, then it would throw off the balance... Thankfully, Aura does have an excuse, considering it is meant to be a landmark/standalone tower, hence, canada's tallest condo.

I'm not the hugest fan of big podiums, as they push towers away from the street. For example, the Ritz. Sure, the podium is very nice, but the north face of the tower is completely boring, and it doesn't help that it's pushed away from the street....

In many TRUE super-dense urban environments (Manhattan), you won't find nearly as many podiums due to the tight spaces that towers need to fit in order to be built. Unless you get a landmark buildings/buildings that serve as massive multi-use centres (like Time Warner Center), big podiums like the Ritz and Aura are scarce... And that probably is a bad example, since Time Warner is on a MASSIVE scale. I wouldn't even call that a podium considering how huge it is....

In conclusion, i sorta feel like Toronto condos go overkill with the podiums.... Unless buildings are this huge/landmark, I feel like Big-City buildings feel more "big-city" without podiums.... Trump TO is a fine example....

And on a side note, I think One Bloors podium is much cooler than Aura's....

I like how closely it’s being built to the street. It really bothers me when there’s space between the sidewalk and the building. However, my ideal situation is if Aura was built as it is now, but then the sidewalks were widened by removing a car lane, so that it’s the best of both worlds.

Hahaha:D steveve, i knew you would throw Trump TO in there...Indeed, it is a fine example.

Yeah, Trump Toronto spells out big city skyscraper: tall building, with tall neighbours, on small lot! thus proving you don't need a lot of land to build something big. I can see a lot of buildings going up sometime in the future in the financial district, being built atop/integrating older buildings into their facade... lots of room for that in the block surrounded by Adelaide, Bay, Richmond, and York.

To me, the best part about Aura is the fact that College Park is right down below. In the near future, we are all going to enjoy the view from College Park facing Aura, and surrounded by ROCP. gonna be good fo' real.
I'm really really really hoping for some Legacy at Millennium Park/Time Warner Center quality glass, though, probably not.
speaking of Legacy, from here it looks A LOT like Aura but more boxy.
legacy-minis-no-pole_resized.jpg

Back