Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Factoring in grade this building will likely appear much, much taller than Scotia plaza from any angle to the north of College, as the land is rising from the lake and north beyond.

The grade change from Yonge and King to Yonge and Gerrard is ~12 meters. Scotia Plaza is 274.9m and Aura will be 264m plus the 12 meters in grade change giving it an apparent height of ~276m compared to the towers of the CBD.

I wouldn't quite say it will...
Caltrane74: likely appear much, much taller than Scotia Plaza
...though because it will tower above its neighbours, it will loom large in that area for sure.

I think that Aura will likely look most spectacular from Broadview at Riverdale Park, as one can see its locale fairly isolated from any other close tall buildings -- it will really dominate that part of the skyline from that prospect.

I think that Aura will likely look most spectacular from Broadview at Riverdale Park, as one can see its locale fairly isolated from any other close tall buildings -- it will really dominate that part of the skyline from that prospect.

Here's an old render I did over a year ago from the East. (Today I would have to add at least 10 more projects just to keep up with the latest proposals, just since last year!)

Aura sure will dominate the center of that view.

Well there you go - did anybody expect this at this late stage.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 228208 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Jun 27, 2011

Project: Multiple-Use Building Addition

Description: Proposal to construct an addition 3 sty's on top of approved 75 sty condo (with commercial at grade). Additonal 48 residential units. AURA AT COLLEGE PARK. 382-388 Yonge St. See active permits under 382 Yoneg St and 388 Yonge St.

What the heck? Is it that straightforward to add floors at this stage? And what would be the final height with three added floors?

wait... say wut?! ^^^
am i reading this correctly: they want to add 3 more stories to Aura?!?!
that brings the floor count to 78.... that's almost 80 freaking stories! and does this potentially bring Aura taller than Scotia Plaza?

I'm not too surprised, there was talk of additional floors long ago.

12 more meters sounds about right, but its possible it could be slightly more. Also the roof structure which add significant height above the final occupied floor may be slightly altered as well. We could be looking at Canada's second tallest building ('Trumping' trump at 909ft).

Last edited:
Whoa is this for real!? :cool: Whether or not we actually thought it would happen, we sure were keeping our fingers crossed that we would see something like this! 276 m = about 905 feet!

Guys, I need some help here.

If my memory serves me correct, there was a post way back quoting Canderel personnel that they will not go above 75 floors because of the engineering challenges -- something to do with the swaying of the building due to wind at that level and having to install expensive equipment to counter this. How would additional floors affect the building structure/stability?

Further, I presume extra 3 floors will be added on top at sub-penthouse level. If so, then, these will be expensive units. Extra gravy for the developer. 48 units at more than $ 1 million each. Penthouse now will move to 78th floor? Would the price go up from $ 17.5 currently being asked?

Last edited:
Actually we might be over-exaggerating the height increase. 48 units is a lot for 3 floors, clearly these are not penthouse levels that they are adding onto the top of the building. 10 more meters would probably be more accurate.

Guys, I need some help here.

If my memory serves me correct, there was a post way back quoting Canderel personnel that they will not go above 75 floors because of the engineering challenges -- something to do with the swaying of the building due to wind at that level and having to install expensive equipment to counter this. How would additional floors affect the building structure/stability?

Further, I presume extra 3 floors will be added on top at sub-penthouse level. If so, then, these will be expensive units. Extra gravy for the developer. Penthouse now will move to 78th floor?

I suspect that after all the calculations they concluded that 3 more floors would be the maximum possible addition the building could accommodate without any significant structural changes.

Actually we might be over-exaggerating the height increase. 48 units is a lot for 3 floors, clearly these are not penthouse levels that they are adding onto the top of the building. 10 more meters would probably be more accurate.

I suspect that after all the calculations they concluded that 3 more floors would be the maximum possible addition the building could accommodate without any significant structural changes.

Thanks for the prompt reply, vegeta_skyline. I wonder someone else has additional thoughts.

You are probably right that extra units are not (sub)penthouse level units.

I have the original floor plans of regular and Executive floors. Executive level floors ( 57 & up) have only 8 units per floor. However, lower floors have 16 units per floor. If Canderel were to add 3 additional floors at 56 or lower level, then, that will make 48 units. Imagine someone at, say, 55th floor being bumped upto 58th floor for no extra cost. On the other hand, units could be added at level 57 and individuals currently at 57 and higher levels going up to 60th or higher floors without extra charge.

Any thoughts by anyone?

Back