Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

.... or some other dictatorship with a strong personality cult...

Perfect, then, for Harper's Canada! ;o)

Sorry, but I love the original Eaton's building proposal. It would have definitely made quite the impact. The rooftops nowadays could easily have been turned into rooftop gardens and patios. It only looks imposing and bulky in those photos. Plop it into a modern setting, it wouldn't be too out of place at all. In fact it would probably look minuscule in comparison.

CanadianNational:

Actually, I just accidentally stumbled across this proposal at TOBuilt, which I have never seen or heard of before:

http://www.tobuilt.ca/php/tobuilding...earch_fd3=9218

Has anyone else seen or heard of this?

I remember seeing plans for this that included a mirror image office tower to 777 Bay St (Maclean Hunter) that was to be built where RoCP North is now. It was nearly identical to 777 and was called 767 Bay. (You can see a part of it in that old photo you posted.) In these plans, the mall below 777 was to be extended under 767 and run down Bay Street.

At the time I saw those plans, it showed squares along Gerrard with the words (Future Residential Buildings) but I never saw this render until now.

And I have never seen a picture of that model of ECP circa 1929 until now either. Where did you get it?

Last edited:
^ Thanks for the info. Two Maclean-Hunters!

I took the picture of the model in the vestible of the smoking room of the Carlu, when it opened. I don't know if it's still on display or not. I think I've seen clearer photos of it here on the forum, but I'm not sure who posted them.

Taken earlier today.
5843402960_a47f0d7b56_b.jpg

Using the above image as a guideline... We are only on the forming of the third floor... This podium will be huge from this perspective.

And look closely at the above two images and note how the render-artist manipulated the scale to make the podium seem less imposing. Specifically notice the "Yonge" street sign on the traffic light post: In the render it is as tall as the floor of the fourth floor, but in reality the sign doesn't even reach the ceiling of the second floor.

The trees in the render are quite small and help reverse the effect you're talking about, but I agree it is there. Particularly the artist's widening of Gerrard makes Aura seem more complementary to the intersection than it probably will be.

I got a call from Aura last week, telling me the retail unit in the lower level that I bought had a height adjustment from 10 ft ceiling to 9ft. They said it only affected 4 units that was close to the future PATH entrance.

They weren't even going to compensate me for this reduction at first. I finally settle for some chump change as they stated that they would just give my money back and sell to someone else since its sold out except for 1 big retail unit remaining. Basically I had no choice

Just curious. When are you getting possession of your unit?

And look closely at the above two images and note how the render-artist manipulated the scale to make the podium seem less imposing. Specifically notice the "Yonge" street sign on the traffic light post: In the render it is as tall as the floor of the fourth floor, but in reality the sign doesn't even reach the ceiling of the second floor.

The trees in the render are quite small and help reverse the effect you're talking about, but I agree it is there. Particularly the artist's widening of Gerrard makes Aura seem more complementary to the intersection than it probably will be.

Good catches!

Using the above image as a guideline... We are only on the forming of the third floor... This podium will be huge from this perspective.

Aren't we on the forming for the 5th floor? It looks like the first 4 floors are fully built, meaning the podium is pretty much done. The forming they are putting up now looks like the beginning of the tower itself. That being said, it looks like some of the geometry has been lost in reality compared to the render, the render indicated indentations all over the podium, it doesn't look that way yet.

Forgive my crude illustration:

udgff.jpg

Last edited:
The first two floors have used two sets of forms each - one on top of the other to create the high ceilings, so no, only the third floor is being formed now.

No, they're just starting the walls on the third floor. The floors are double height so if you're looking at the formwork you might get tricked into thinking there's more levels than there really are. And so far the geometry of the building seems to match the geometry of the renders perfectly. There's the two-storey notch at the corner of Yonge/Gerrard, the angled setback at Yonge/Hayter, and even the porte-cochere kinda thing on the west side along Gerrard

Back