Hamilton Augusta Block Buildings 2 & 3 | ?m | 8s | Core Urban Inc. | Lintack Architects

honestly i'd be fine with concrete if they at least finished it with a nice sealer. I've seen some beautiful concrete countertops done this way.
The Greystones ceilings looked better. Two projects recently, this and the Mirvish Village did concrete badly. I don't know if it's just moist still and will look better once fully dry, but I don't mind concrete finishes so long as they look a certain way. These ceilings have dark stains (or moisture?) on the edges and it looks less than desirable.

honestly i'd be fine with concrete if they at least finished it with a nice sealer. I've seen some beautiful concrete countertops done this way.
yeah me too - but.. well.. LOOK at it..

why make THAT the bad thing when it 100% doesn't have to be? I don't get it.

I posted my distaste for it in their instagram video above cuz well.. if you never say anything.. how is anyone gonna know...

Um, are they not installing the awning..?

Nice touch with the herringbone tile placement though.

20240419_224951.jpg
20240419_224937.jpg
20240419_224927.jpg

It's smaller than I thought it would be. There's also less space dedicated to shelved items than I thought.
It looks like a small convenience store that happens to sell hot foods.

Honestly looks a lot like the smaller urban grocers which are common in the UK - barely more than a convenience store but with a small collection of fresh stuff.

We’ll see how it does, the hot goods counter clearly caters to hospital staff and visitors.

I dunno if it's all that geared to hospital people... it's not exactly right across the street from the hospital. It's a few blocks away, and I don't know if that many people will regularly make the stroll, especially visitors.

I dunno if it's all that geared to hospital people... it's not exactly right across the street from the hospital. It's a few blocks away, and I don't know if that many people will regularly make the stroll, especially visitors.
It's 24h likely because of the hospital. People have weird hours at hospitals and will likely stop on the way or toward home. They're not just 9am-9pm and 9pm-9am shifts.

It’s 2 blocks from the hospital, hard to get much closer.

It's more like three blocks, and that is from the western edge of the hospital. In my experience, hospital workers just do not stray very far from home base at all --- their breaks are just too short and they have other options.

Re: on the way in or out and the 24 hour thing, I buy that to a degree for sure, but it would be a more powerful effect if it was like a coffee or fast food drive-thru.

All of this said, I am sure that there will be hospital-related business and there are a lot of non-hospital medical buildings in the area, including one right beside the new store.

It's more like three blocks, and that is from the western edge of the hospital. In my experience, hospital workers just do not stray very far from home base at all --- their breaks are just too short and they have other options.

Re: on the way in or out and the 24 hour thing, I buy that to a degree for sure, but it would be a more powerful effect if it was like a coffee or fast food drive-thru.

All of this said, I am sure that there will be hospital-related business and there are a lot of non-hospital medical buildings in the area, including one right beside the new store.
Many, many hospital staff do not drive. And this market sells coffee.

Augusta St. reopened today. Would really like too see Augusta St. pedestrianized with much narrower lanes and wider sidewalks. It would be great too see it fully blocked off to vehicles, but seeing as the Laundry Rooms have a garage entrance onto Augusta St. it may be difficult. Not too mention HSR operates along this segment as well (HSR could potentially operate on Young St instead).
20240422_173907.jpg
20240422_173948.jpg

Eesh they drilled that sign right into the stone.. that's usually not allowed anymore because of if it ever goes under itll leave unsightly holes in the finish..

..granted, it does look cool and sleek and all that :)

It feels almost like a 7-11 inside, more a convenience store than a grocery store.

The black underside of the balconies ended up being a good thing as it makes the base looks like it doesn't have a building plopped up on top so you can still admire the "legacy" architecture so that's nice - wonder when that awning ill be put up though - I am very curious to see how it looks - looks like it's suspension cables that will keep it up..?

Last edited:

Back