Toronto Atrium on Bay Expansion | 114m | 34s | KingSett Capital | Hariri Pontarini

I don't hear New Yorkers complaining about the lights in Times Square. They have way more lights and condo's than we have. If the light really bothers people that much, they should move out of the city.

The comfort of tax paying residents matters more than an advertising screen. If I lived at the Pantages, someone would get a piece of my mind.

Two or three weeks ago there was a piece on the news about how several of these signs have popped up in the last year or so along the Gardiner, people living out in Liberty Village/Parkdale areas were having a fit. That I get.
Here, perhaps the brightness has to be turned down a little bit. If it's bothersome in the Distillery District, it's probably too bright.

I don't get this hate of bright lights...in downtown Toronto! Get proper blinds and you'll never know they're on.

I don't get this hate of bright lights...in downtown Toronto! Get proper blinds and you'll never know they're on.

Once, when I got up at night and the blinds were open in my living room, I noticed the light level changing constantly; I looked outside and it was the screen at Dundas and Spadina. I live at Bay and College in ROCP.

With a much larger and brighter screen, located much closer, blinds are not enough. Light will bleed around them, and the constant flashing would be enough to drive anyone bonkers after a while. Again, this is advertisement, not a public service. Turn it off between 11 pm and 6 am, or else get rid of it permanently.

A video is a little more dramatic than photos for those who haven't seen how this lights up the area in person, from my POV (about half a mile away) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txy9kn8MxFY&feature=youtu.be

Edit: it's actually brighter and more dramatic than this clip shows, it's an iPhone video which isn't the best at capturing images or video when light is absent.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that vid ^. As for the excess lights/light pollution it's awesome for the square but terrible for the residents as many have said.
And regarding the comparisons to Times Square, what's different about the light noise is there buildings surrounding times square are much taller than anything surrounding Y&D square, so the direct lighting effects less buildings IMO. Most of that light is directed upwards rather than being pointed at you from miles away

Thanks for posting that vid ^. As for the excess lights/light pollution it's awesome for the square but terrible for the residents as many have said.
And regarding the comparisons to Times Square, what's different about the light noise is there buildings surrounding times square are much taller than anything surrounding Y&D square, so the direct lighting effects less buildings IMO. Most of that light is directed upwards rather than being pointed at you from miles away

This. North of dundas square there aren't any tall buildings to block the light from the square. Because of this I think they need to tone down the brightness of the screen overnight, especially since the light reflects off the buildings across from it.

Or people could just close their curtains at night. I have stayed at hotels in Times Square. After a few days you don't even notice it. People just have to get used to the lights. A few years back the city stuck a busy bus stop right outside my bedroom window. I can open my window and shake hands with the people at the bus stop if i wanted. I couldn't stand the horrendous noise all hours of the day, I planned on moving, but over time i got used to the noise and learned to live with it. I don't even notice the buses now, even with my windows open.

Last edited:
Solution:

14191704962_8bb6cd225b_n.jpg
14007636717_5e61aededd_n.jpg
14194251605_9254057e40_n.jpg

Or people could just close their curtains at night.

Or not move downtown in the first place so that the rest of us can enjoy the lights, noise, crowds, and smells to be found in a bustling downtown core.

The developers of 258 Victoria may be reconsidering starting construction on their rental tower

What if I want to see the night lights?

Why on earth, in a country that's 3.8 million square miles in area, would a person who wants to see the night lights move to the most amp'ed up 4 square miles in the country? The metropolis should be allowed to be a metropolis. Don't move here if it's not your cup of tea. Your comment reminds me of those folks in Montreal who complained about the crowds around Molson Stadium. What did they expect moving next to a stadium? This isn't rocket science.

Last edited:
Seriously guys, this is a silly conversation .. I have blackout blinds, they block just about everything (trust me, we tested em ...) if that's not good enough I'm in agreement with the folks above saying to move (or not move in the first place).
I have friends who live in the area and overlook the square (well, not overlook but can see it indirectly ... and all its brightness) not once have I heard a complaint, actually they all like the feeling of being in the thick of things so to speak ..

Back