Toronto Aqualina at Bayside | 47.85m | 13s | Tridel | Arquitectonica

72298fe8-c8e7-4070-830c-cf73464c1930_zps78ntxra9.jpg

Nothing better on a hot day than being lakeside and enjoying lunch at Against the Grain and snapping some updates. And another floor is being added to the cube...

Aqualina-1.jpg
Aqualina-2.jpg

The white finished surfaces in the following two pics suggest this might be the white framing (clad as a painted precast perhaps)...

Aqualina-3.jpg
Aqualina-4.jpg

One of the bonuses of living here....one of the best lake promenades in the 6! (Taken near the SW corner of Aqualina).

Aqualina-5.jpg
Aqualina-6.jpg

Attachments

• Aqualina-1.jpg
    Aqualina-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,110
  • Aqualina-2.jpg
    Aqualina-2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,086
  • Aqualina-3.jpg
    Aqualina-3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,078
  • Aqualina-4.jpg
    Aqualina-4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,070
  • Aqualina-5.jpg
    Aqualina-5.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,102
  • Aqualina-6.jpg
    Aqualina-6.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,085
Hard to believe those trees are just over five years old -- these must be the fastest-growing and most impressively healthy trees in the city. Imagine how they'll look in another five or ten years.

As for Aqualina, I hope they're planning to replace the chipped panel in the fourth photo. That corner has a big chunk out of it!

Hard to believe those trees are just over five years old -- these must be the fastest-growing and most impressively healthy trees in the city. Imagine how they'll look in another five or ten years.

As for Aqualina, I hope they're planning to replace the chipped panel in the fourth photo. That corner has a big chunk out of it!

These are the kinds of trees we should be striving to have along University Avenue (and the city having utterly failed at that game).

As to the chipped precast - that aside, it looked surprisingly good (even colours, smooth appearance).

AoD

While I've felt somewhat mixed about the development on the East Waterfront, I can't deny that the tree canopy is a stunner. It makes the area unrecognizable.

While I've felt somewhat mixed about the development on the East Waterfront, I can't deny that the tree canopy is a stunner. It makes the area unrecognizable.

Not sure what there is to feel mixed about. The new development is still in very early stages- heck no one lives here yet! But when built out there'll be some 6000 residential units. Let's consider the pluses thus far, including what's coming down the pipe. I much prefer this to the western waterfront (bound by the Gardiner and adjacent Lake Shore Blvd with a view of a string of cement breakwaters next to open lake water) - this view has the beautiful view of the Island, flotillas of sail boats in Toronto harbour, the contrast of the shipping channel, etc. Add to that this wonderful water's edge promenade (what you see in the above photos is only about 250 metres of trees - 1 km is expected upon completion), Sugar Beach, view corridors such as the award-winning Sherbourne Common (there's even a large grassy area next to the filtration pavillion ideal for dog frisbie!), Sugar Beach North + The Yard, Aitken Place Park, the Waterfront Innovation Centre, Artscape, wonderful city views, and oh yeah - a ton of condo development (perhaps the more interesting ones are Monde and 3XN). I'm rather giddy just thinking about it.

Not sure what there is to feel mixed about. The new development is still in very early stages- heck no one lives here yet! But when built out there'll be some 6000 residential units. Let's consider the pluses thus far, including what's coming down the pipe. I much prefer this to the western waterfront (bound by the Gardiner and adjacent Lake Shore Blvd with a view of a string of cement breakwaters next to open lake water) - this view has the beautiful view of the Island, flotillas of sail boats in Toronto harbour, the contrast of the shipping channel, etc. Add to that this wonderful water's edge promenade (what you see in the above photos is only about 250 metres of trees - 1 km is expected upon completion), Sugar Beach, view corridors such as the award-winning Sherbourne Common (there's even a large grassy area next to the filtration pavillion ideal for dog frisbie!), Sugar Beach North + The Yard, Aitken Place Park, the Waterfront Innovation Centre, Artscape, wonderful city views, and oh yeah - a ton of condo development (perhaps the more interesting ones are Monde and 3XN). I'm rather giddy just thinking about it.

I can only hope that they revisit HtO park and upgrade the paving and other details to the standard established here - bare concrete, fading umbrellas and cheap furnishings have no place on the waterfront. That, and establish the twin allee of trees where possible.

AoD

What a bunch of cheapskates. (but who is surprised?) Would it kill them to use curtain wall? It's only the waterfront of the largest city in the country we're talking about.

Back