Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

Just a few little curiosities I noticed in the article:

The towers are part of Canada's Absolute World City Center in Mississauga.
Neither we nor the British spell "centre" like that, so I wonder how it came to be spelt that way.

Perhaps the universal default spellcheck of Microsoft in the proofing--using American English instead of British?

The author probably assume we spelled it the American way... which would be completely logical to assume.

from today
20110123023.jpg

20110123043.jpg

20110123017.jpg

20110123028.jpg

20110123032.jpg

20110123033.jpg

20110123006.jpg

20110123057.jpg

20110123041.jpg

Last edited:
In particular the ground view angle shot above--it appears to be impossible that these towers could really be there...

The towers are amazing while the podium really throws it off. It seems like such an afterthought. If they put so much money into this structure, they might as well designed a more curvy podium to suit.

I love how tower 4 looks like the sexy lady it's nicknamed after, whereas tower 5 looks more like the hot girl's chubbier jealous friend who tags along with her at all times..

Moderately attractive people have been known to enhance their allure by the strategic placement of a retinue of unattractive people around them.

Moderately attractive people have been known to enhance their allure by the strategic placement of a retinue of unattractive people around them.

All humans are ugly in their own special way.

However, these towers are stunning! I agree with the earlier comment about the podium being pretty lousy but it won't make much of a difference since you can't even see it unless you are up close. Those curves are killer from any distance!

Many a pompous potentate will pontificate perpetually when their estimate of esteem is exhausted.
:p

All humans are ugly in their own special way.

However, these towers are stunning! I agree with the earlier comment about the podium being pretty lousy but it won't make much of a difference since you can't even see it unless you are up close. Those curves are killer from any distance!

The paradox, though, is that the closer you get to a tower/podium pairing the more significant the podium becomes as a visual element, while the foreshortening effect of looking up at the high-rise creates "tower shrinkage". So it's best for the entire complex to be well-designed, for it to be a thing of beauty from any distance. And surrounding yourself with "fat chicks" - as Translude15 so charmingly puts it - can only elevate the aesthetic appeal of a mediocre-looker so far, and only by comparison.

Back