Mississauga Absolute World | 169.77m | 56s | Cityzen | MAD architects

I'm not sure where comments like these come from - have you been to Calgary ? They have an imensely dense core with quite a few tall buildings.
The only thing somewhat accurate about such a comment is calgary doesn't have too much yet outside of the core (i.e. like NYCC / SCC / MCC ...) or that many condos in the core either.
But from a sky line point of view they're loaded up with office buildings.

Just want to create any annomesity between the west / east :) It's almost as bad as the 416 vs 905.

Sorry, but from that distance, its nearly impossible to judge the height of the buildings in MCC. You also can't really distinguish a condo from an office building in that photo, so my comparison still stands. Im referring to the built form and geography. You have a dense core, in the middle of flat land, and then the clouds in the distance which look like large mountains. Thats Calgary.

And for the record, yes, I have been to Calgary.

Sorry, but from that distance, its nearly impossible to judge the height of the buildings in MCC. You also can't really distinguish a condo from an office building in that photo, so my comparison still stands. Im referring to the built form and geography. You have a dense core, in the middle of flat land, and then the clouds in the distance which look like large mountains. Thats Calgary.

And for the record, yes, I have been to Calgary.

Sure but that description would fit many other cities - less the mountains ... okay sure, for the mountains I'll give you that.

This project is so beautiful, it's safe to say that all Mississaugans are proud it's being built in our city.

It was also the design that the majority of us voted for during the International Design Competition.

Those Mississauga City Centre skyline photos are spectacular.

The pace of growth is last 5 years alone is breathtaking.

Can you imagine how it will look like in another 2 - 5 years?

Louroz

Sure but that description would fit many other cities - less the mountains ... okay sure, for the mountains I'll give you that.

Have you ever flown into Calgary? And in the winter? Tuscani's description was bang-on! When I saw those pictures immediately I thought of the numerous time that I have landed in Calgary on my way to Banff and the Kooteneys for some mountain shredding. It's the mountains in the background and the dense cluster of high-rises surrounded by miles and miles of flat, low-density areas that give Calgary, not "many other cities", that description. Other cities that I can think of that could match that description are Denver and possibly Salt Lake City, though I haven't been to SLC (yet!)

Traynor, traynor where are you?:D Fill in Miss Ma with Parkside Village, Daniels' crap, Pinnacle and more.

Thanks.

I am right here... I am always here reading all the posts in many of the threads. I just haven't been posting much because, to be honest, not much has interested me lately. Give me a photograph of Mississauga that best shows the skyline that those projects will fill and their surrounding context and I will do what I can. I would also need a list of the buildings you wanted added. However, to be truthful I am not familiar with Mississauga proposals and projects so I would have to research them all and then incorporate them into the picture you wanted. Which would take more time for the render than it normally does for me.

:)

I'm not sure where comments like these come from - have you been to Calgary ? They have an imensely dense core with quite a few tall buildings.
The only thing somewhat accurate about such a comment is calgary doesn't have too much yet outside of the core (i.e. like NYCC / SCC / MCC ...) or that many condos in the core either.
But from a sky line point of view they're loaded up with office buildings.

Just want to create any annomesity between the west / east :) It's almost as bad as the 416 vs 905.

I made the comment once on another forum that Calgary's skyline was similar to Mississaugas skyline in that they have a serious drop off from the core towers to the suburbs.

... well... anyways.

ALLHELL, broke loose.

Tower 5 moving up a level
20110118020.jpg

I made the comment once on another forum that Calgary's skyline was similar to Mississaugas skyline in that they have a serious drop off from the core towers to the suburbs.

... well... anyways.

ALLHELL, broke loose.

Well no duh :)

I see what you mean now and I agree but at first glance it comes off as an insult. It's funny though population wise they're pretty close to each other :) But that and your comment is just about where all the similarities stop.

200,000 people is not close haha. That's quite a big difference. When Mississauga has that population, it will be much more similar to Calgary in terms of proper city feel.

Re the Calgary thing: also keep in mind the difference btw/Calgary's compact core and Edmonton's more spread-out distribution of highrises...

... well... anyways.

ALLHELL, broke loose.

The vast majority of Mississauga's high-rise buildings lie outside the City Centre. It's not like Calgary at all.

UK Construction Magazine Access International did a Feature on Absolute World Mississauga.

61133_2_preview.jpg

Formwork manufacturer Peri's RCS climbing protection panel system is helping work on two curvaceous skyscraper towers progress quickly and safely. The towers are part of Canada's Absolute World City Center in Mississauga.

The inner-city development consists of five apartment and office blocks with heights of up to 170 m. Of note, are the rotations of the two buildings: the southern tower with a varying rotational movement and the northern tower which twists uniformly upwards.

For both buildings, the complete enclosure of the upper floors using the RCS climbing protection panels has ensured the safety of the construction site team resulting in higher productivity.

Due to the different rotations by different degrees at different levels, Peri engineers have developed two climbing methods - with the help of the modular construction system, adapted specifically to suit the respective project requirements and building geometry.

With the 170 m high Absolute Tower South, the elliptically-shaped ground plan rotates by 208° over the course of 56 floors - featuring twists of between 3° and 8° from storey to storey.

In order to ensure safe working conditions, the working area of the three uppermost floors in each case is completely enclosed by means of the RCS climbing protection panel.

During the climbing procedure, the climbing rails are firmly connected to the building by climbing shoes. Compensating for the offset between the individual floors is achieved by a system of steel girders anchored to the slabs: while standard universal RCS climbing rails cantilever up to 2 m beyond the edge of the slab and support the climbing protection panel.

Through the large usable compensation area, the number of levels is minimised where the RCS units have to be re-adjusted due to the rotation of the storeys.

For the floor-by-floor planning of the enclosure, Peri engineers took into consideration all possible obstacles and discontinuities in order to determine an optimal element arrangement and - separate for each floor - the corresponding anchor positions.

Start of construction for the 150 m high, 50*storey North Tower took place a few months later. For this Peri designed a cost-effective climbing variant. As the rotation of the elliptical-shaped floors is a constant 4° in each case here, the RCS protection panel itself uniformly turns in an upward direction.

In addition, the climbing rails are inclined at an angle of 26° to the vertical and connected to the storey slabs by means of RCS system climbing shoes and project-specific modified slab shoes. Likewise, the RCS units are climbed hydraulically - moving with the crane would not be possible because of the inclined climbing track.

That this climbing method is possible with the RCS rail climbing system and is applicable in construction site conditions was proven beforehand by Peri engineers both theoretically and with a physical test set-up.

Mississauga is situated to the west of Toronto in the province of Ontario. With 700,000 inhabitants, it is the sixth-largest city in Canada. Absolute World, with the two dominant towers, provides the city with a completely new, modern face.

The undulating sequence of curves featured on the southern high-rise building has resulted in it being given the nickname of 'Marilyn Monroe' by the local population.

http://www.khl.com/magazines/access-international/detail/item61138/-Peri-climbs-Canada's-curves/

its a very impressive building, completely takes the Mississauga skyline to a whole new level.

Just a few little curiosities I noticed in the article:

The towers are part of Canada's Absolute World City Center in Mississauga.

Neither we nor the British spell "centre" like that, so I wonder how it came to be spelt that way.

The inner-city development consists of five apartment and office blocks...

When you say it like that, you'd imagine far more street life than is currently present in Mississauga.

Last edited:

Back