Toronto 629 King Residences (was Thompson Residences) | 53.34m | 15s | Freed | Saucier + Perrotte

And guess who witnessed two grown men playing tug of war high above the condo kids?
QYvFxVi.jpg

ORglRo3.jpg

I'm surprised to create a bit more depth/recession in the facade they didn't recess the balcony glass a bit, even just a few inches. It looks fantastic though! The cladding on the shear walls will really pull this one together soon.

The glass balcony railings with the frameless top portion look nice, but I agree that it interferes with the strong checkerboard pattern of the façade.
A non-reflective glass for the railings would make a difference, but that would be pretty expensive to do.
I believe the railings on the Juliette balconies will be installed on the inside, just like at River City, so hopefully the design will not be lost on the lower levels.

We recall all the debate earlier this year claiming that the project doesn't look like the renderings lol. Oy vey. Seriously? It looks great!

How many wannabe architects are copying?
HZ6uQ4a.jpg

When they ought to be copying gabled roofs
3sorUs8.jpg

Oh **** you just gave me an idea ;)
DFXYLy0.jpg

EMdwLxE.jpg

I'm gonna challenge you to a game of checkers
0XdilFv.jpg

If you lose you're stuck with P+S for life
hzpzB1t.jpg

Winners reverse the letters for success at S+P
hdPdTmt.jpg

I'm gonna snap
8xp8cMG.jpg

Although the varying frontage gives the building a nice sense of depth I don't find it a very appealing looking structure especially considering it's relatively short dimensions. I'm also VERY surprised that the sides of the building is solid concrete. Usually one of the biggest sellers and the units that sell out first are end units because they offer corner light and the side windows make the units seem more spacious and bright. Very odd and peculiar that this building doesn't offer this sought after selling point. It not only makes those units more appealing but also makes the building more visually appealing from all angles.

I don't really like this building. It had potential but I think it's been poorly executed and doesn't seem to fit in well with the neighbourhood either.

I'm also VERY surprised that the sides of the building is solid concrete. Usually one of the biggest sellers and the units that sell out first are end units because they offer corner light and the side windows make the units seem more spacious and bright. Very odd and peculiar that this building doesn't offer this sought after selling point. It not only makes those units more appealing but also makes the building more visually appealing from all angles.

They built up to the lot line, so they couldn't add windows on the sides. The city wouldn't allow it (although it somehow happened down the street between the Hudson and 8 Charlotte condos).

they often allow small windows facing the property line to allow in light to spaces that don't actually need it, such as hallways.

An agreement can also be met with the neighbouring property owner to allow for property facing windows to be constructed, such as what they did with Massey condos whose south side is lined with balconies despite being on the property line.

If the adjoining property owner can build right up to the lot line, then the windows on that wall would be pointless. 8 Charlotte and the Hudson were to same architect.

Ya this project certainly doesnt really fit in to its area but its a welcomed change IMO. Very modern and adds to the shopping experience. From street level it looks really, "NEAT". A tower done in a similar way would look interesting. Perhaps getting more cube-ish as it goes up. maybe at 30-35 fl.

Back