Toronto 550 Wellington West and 1 Hotel | ?m | 15s | Freed | a—A

If they knock this building down in November (if) the only thing replacing it for the next few years would be a parking lot. There isn't even a proposal for this piece of land.

Be careful what you wish for!
Mr. Freed wants all of us to stand by and watch him build a 44.4m building on King. It's all bait and switch folks! Those who bought on the southerly side of 650 King should be pissed.

560king.jpg

Oh C'mon! I appreciate the modernism before it got eff'd and the whole motor inn genre but not everything is fit for preservation. A cheap woodframed motel just doesn't belong on King West anymore.

Though, de-stuccoed and re-Executivized, it might make better architectural sense as a contemporary condo tower plinth than the RCMI on University Avenue...

Don't know if 44m would be approved. That stretch of King St W has some pretty tight planning regulations.

I hope they don't approve it because something that tall would really throw off the vibe along King Street.

Where are you getting your info about this building? Whats the source of that image? Thanks

That reminds me of an image out of a Core Architects document. So far as I know Core has nothing to do with this particular development.

Where are you getting your info about this building? Whats the source of that image? Thanks

It is indeed from Core who was engaged with Freed on another nearby project. I suspect they are working on the Travelodge site as well, but not 100% sure.

It is indeed from Core who was engaged with Freed on another nearby project. I suspect they are working on the Travelodge site as well, but not 100% sure.

That nearby project you talk about should be FashionHouse 2, they changed all the floorplans compared to the initial plans that were proposed for the Adelaide building in the original fashionhouse plan. it will be released in the next few weeks, though the floorplans are already in the hands of some agents and several units have been already sold.

I would not be surprised if they have the proposal ready for 621 king (travelodge). I heard it will be a boutique hotel building similar to 550 Wellington and it will be released next year.

Daily Commercial News

Windows on Wellington West in Toronto
September 29, 2009

110.jpg

WILLIAM CONWAY/PROGRESS PHOTOGRAPHY

Glass covers the front of 550 Wellington West hotel and condominium project in Toronto.

Developer Freed Developments Ltd., along with construction manager Accel Highrise Construction Ltd., started the 16-storey, 102-suite hotel with 333 condominium units in April 2007.

Completion has been scheduled for fall 2009. The building also includes three levels of underground parking, and retail on the ground floor.

The project was designed by architectsAlliance and consultants are Kazmar Associates Ltd. (structural) and Able Engineering Inc. (mechanical/electrical).

Subtrades include: Active Excavating & Contracting; Rumble Foundations (Ontario) Ltd.; Salit Steel; Maple Leaf Structures (formwork); Roman Metals (structural steel); Ontario Redimix Ltd. (concrete); Limen Masonry Ltd.; Systems Drywall & Acoustics; University Plumbing & Heating (mechanical/fire protection); Nortown Electrical Contractors Associates; Bellwood Sheet Metal Ltd. (HVAC); ART (balcony aluminum); Aluminum Wood Design (window wall); Flynn Canada Ltd. (curtainwall); and Otis Canada Inc./Atlantic Lifts/Federal Elevator (elevators).

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/article/id35498

Back