Toronto 540 King West | 50.66m | 15s | Allied | Hariri Pontarini

Here's a tidbit from Allied's quarterly press release:

"In the second quarter, Allied leased 544 King Street West in Toronto
to The Hive for a term of five years commencing December 1, 2010. The
Hive is a marketing firm that currently operates from 425-439 King
Street West. It will move to make way for Loblaw Properties’ expansion
later this year, at which time 544 King will become a rental property
for accounting purposes."

Source: http://www.alliedpropertiesreit.com/documents/APREIT_2010_08_04_Press_Release_2010_Q2Results.pdf

Me thinks that Hive is moving from King Street East to King Street West.
Hopefully they will jazz up the building a bit. It needs some help.

What's going to happen to the little strip mall on King & Brant?

iPaenwn.jpg

Currently the site of a closed Grand & Toy, a Pizza Pizza and a shared office space, there's been movement in the Grand & Toy with what looks like the beginning of a condo sales office.

I haven't found anything anywhere for this address. Anybody know?

Last edited:
Didn't Great Gulf buy this site years ago?

It is a ridiculously prime location.
I don't know about the purchase. Could be!
If the Jacobs Restaturant and Zoe's buildings are included, we're looking at a pretty large site.
Neither do I know about who owns Jacob's Restaurant to the north, but Zoe's wouldn't work too well because the building between Zoe's and 540 King West—544 King West—is owned by Allied REIT, and it's currently fully leased to The Hive.

Anyone know who owns the Jacob's or Zoe's buildings?

I suspect the First Gulf add may not reflect the current status of the property - a liquor license application was posted on the building a while ago, I forget the date of the AGCO hearing, but I believe it was a while ago - and renovations are currently underway for a bar in the former Grand & Toy site.

City Council voted to send a solicitor to the AGCO hearing back in May to oppose the application. I don't know how to find the results of the application, but we can either conclude that the applicant won and the City lost, or an application for a smaller venue was approved. 'Early Mercy' is the name of the restaurant that was applying back in May.

So this is Great Gulf with a Siamak Hariri-led HPA design. 2 storeys of retail with 8 storeys of residential above it. No application into the City yet, but it's being previewed at a pre-application community consultation at Metro Hall right now.

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

Sorry about the softness and lack of colour fidelity of the shots!

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 1,982
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,987
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 1,993
Very cozy in scale - and that penthouse sure looks interesting. Bonus points if it actually use single panes of glazing of that size on the King/Brant facade.

AoD

Finally!! Been waiting ages for this awful plaza to bite it. Nice mid-rise design - I'd love to see much more of this all over the city instead of just giant towers.

Very cozy in scale - and that penthouse sure looks interesting. Bonus points if it actually use single panes of glazing of that size on the King/Brant facade.

AoD

The large panes are the building's signature: there will be no balconies per se on the lower floors, but large sliding doors behind a juliette parapet.

Here's what the property looked like three and a half days ago, with a restaurant patio going in beside the Pizza Pizza:

DSC06257.jpg

This sailed through the community consultation, by the way…

Attachments

• DSC06257.jpg
    DSC06257.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 4,728
Finally! This hideous pizza chain and Grand & Toy (and concomitantly obnoxious parking lots) have been a stain on the area for far too long. I can’t wait for them to become something decent.

King is getting better and better; it’s becoming my favourite street.

Back