Toronto 50 at Wellesley Station | 114.9m | 37s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Exactly. Don't tear down the existing building if you're not prepared to put something else in its place.

This application proposes to permit a commercial parking lot at 46 Wellesley Street East for a temporary period of three years.

This report reviews and recommends refusal of this application to amend the Zoning By-law..

GOOD ! ! !

No more demolition of perfectly functional buildings for interim parking lots so developers can make $$$ off the parking spaces while paying lower property taxes.

Yeah an empty lot on Wellesley is no good for anyone. I would refuse the use of the land as "temporary" parking lot as well.

To be considered by Toronto & East York Community Council on October 13, 2009:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-23835.pdf

This application proposes to permit a commercial parking lot at 46 Wellesley Street East for a temporary period of three years.

This report reviews and recommends refusal of this application to amend the Zoning By-law.

Does anybody know what happened at the October 13 meeting? Was the parking lot refused?

Given how much demand there just was for X2, perhaps the market isn't as soft as suspected and PlazaCorp will be willing to go ahead with this sooner, especially if they can't pay lower property taxes on a parking lot in the interim. This location is fantastic.

I'd suspect that if they got approval for a parking lot here there likely would have been some movement on the property by now but there has been none.

Funny this thread would pop-up. I phoned 311 about a week ago and they directed me to Municipal Licensing & Standards & I reported what a mess the property has become in the past year or so. The fence is falling down, the site has weeds growing up to 4 feet high and is strewn with garbage. No maintenance has been performed at all since the now collapsing fence was put up last fall or winter.

The TEYCC voted to REFUSE permission and this was further approved by City Council on 26 October:

1. City Council refuse the Zoning By-law Amendment Application No. 09 124901 STE 27 OZ .
2. City Council request the Manager of Municipal Licensing and Standards, Toronto and East York District to inspect the property.

I'd suspect that if they got approval for a parking lot here there likely would have been some movement on the property by now but there has been none.

Funny this thread would pop-up. I phoned 311 about a week ago and they directed me to Municipal Licensing & Standards & I reported what a mess the property has become in the past year or so. The fence is falling down, the site has weeds growing up to 4 feet high and is strewn with garbage. No maintenance has been performed at all since the now collapsing fence was put up last fall or winter.

perhaps we should all call ... maybe a few fines will get the clean up done quicker !?!

There's activity on the site today. An excavator is digging out all the leftover rubble.

Actually that would make sense since they haven't announced a project yet and they were denied permission to turn it into a parking lot.

And the site *has* had a recent "gay epicentre" history, being the AIDS conference HQ in 2006...

I didn't see anything happening on this lot as of a couple of days ago, so I assume it will just be gravel for Pride.

So why did the developer bother bulldozing the lot again? Are they obligated to clean it up annually?

The clean up job removed brick rubble, so perhaps the city wasn't impressed with the state of the site. Now it looks good enough to park on!

Back