Toronto 50 at Wellesley Station | 114.9m | 37s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

Lovely. This site has been the Village's answer to 1 Bloor East. Maybe we shouldn't let developers go around knocking down perfectly good buildings until they're actually ready to build something in its place. The building that was there before wasn't mind-blowing, but it kicked the crap out of a parking lot.

28s tower isn't anywhere near 1 BE, but it should make for a new street-wall on the north side of the street with 20-30s towers, ie. 22, 40 and 50 wellesley

I guess this site will not be happening for a while:

46 WELLESLEY ST E
Ward 27 - South District
Associated Applications

OPA / Rezoning

Site plan approval for TEMPORARY SURFACE COMMERCIAL PARKING LOT - - To be reviewed with Site plan approval - 09 124893 STE 27 SA

No surprise here.
I wonder what truly defines "Temporary"? Temporary for 2 years, 10 years? In any event a surface lot sucks but it can only be an improvement of the unsightly mess which sits there now.

Last edited:
No surprise here.
I wonder what truly defines "Temporary"? Temporary for 2 years, 10 years? In any event a surface lot sucks but it can only be an improvement of the unsightly mess which sits there now.

Probably 10 years ... nothing permanent is going to be built here anytime soon, unless you consider the toll booth (and maybe a sales center in 2 years)

oh god. another parking lot. sadness indeed. i thought toronto was finally recovering from this sickness.

i don't like these empty lots around town. 1 bloor (especially considering the yorkville revitalization) and success 2 will be embarrassments if not complete.

28s tower isn't anywhere near 1 BE, but it should make for a new street-wall on the north side of the street with 20-30s towers, ie. 22, 40 and 50 wellesley

I meant that it was similar to 1 Bloor in the sense that the developer bulldozed what was there long before they were in a position to do anything with the site, leaving a huge gap in the urban fabric.

Maybe we should call that "pulling a Bazis"

I meant that it was similar to 1 Bloor in the sense that the developer bulldozed what was there long before they were in a position to do anything with the site, leaving a huge gap in the urban fabric.

Maybe we should call that "pulling a Bazis"

well at least Plazacorp has the decency to sit only on their own money and not start sales, unlike Bazis who is sitting on purchaser's deposits and not saying a peep about the 1BE project :mad:

May 2nd Update

Photos best illustrate what an eyesore this is. However, Casa in the background doesn't hurt.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

May 8th

Somewhat contradictory to the average person passing by.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

At the moment it's still a pile of rubble. Then it's going to be a parking lot. There won't be much to get excited about here for a while.

City Planning Refusal Report

So let's see here ... the original 4 storey building on site was demolished ... the once proposed & approved 28 storey building is put on the shelves ... the interim surface parking lot + some landscaping is being refused ... so that leaves us with a vacant lot with building rubble + debris !! :rolleyes:

To be considered by Toronto & East York Community Council on October 13, 2009:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-23835.pdf

This application proposes to permit a commercial parking lot at 46 Wellesley Street East for a temporary period of three years.

This report reviews and recommends refusal of this application to amend the Zoning By-law.

In 2005 the City adopted site-specific Official Plan Amendment No. 346 and enacted implementing Zoning By-law No. 675-2005 to permit a 28-storey, 227 unit residential condominium building with retail uses at grade.

Prior to 2006, a four-storey commercial building existed on the property and was used by AIDS 2006 for managing and hosting the XVI International AIDS Conference. The building has since been demolished and the property is now vacant.

Given the existing economic climate the Owner has decided not to proceed with the approved residential development. In the interim the Owner proposes to use the property as a surface commercial parking lot for a period of three years or until it can proceed with the development approved in 2005. The original proposal was to have the Toronto Parking Authority (TPA) operate the commercial parking lot but they have withdrawn their interest.

The proposal is for a 46-space surface parking lot with vehicular access proposed at the eastern end of the Wellesley Street East frontage as shown on the Site Plan attached.

maybe that forces the current developer to consider selling the lot to someone else (who would be prepared to proceed with a similar scale building)

Back