Toronto 48 Avondale | 144.85m | 45s | Oulahen Team Realty | Turner Fleischer

Curious details in the Block Context Plan for the possible future of the surrounding lots:

1628717388952.png

At least they were honest about all the grey spandrel in the renderings?

Also is there like some kind of ban on architects in Toronto designing buildings that aren't grey?

Yeap,... from page 59 of the Planning Rationale in the Overall Conclusions section.

Trust me, Mr.O isn't interested in making friends with CityStaff nor the local City Councillor. Mr.O have had countless battles with CityStaff & local City Councillor,.... and Mr.O wins,... and he will appeal until he wins. Mr.O always win! And he will brag about it too - constantly. Here, Mr.O might not get the 10.58FSI density proposed but Mr.O will easily get double the 4.5FSI density (especially after more adjacent lots start selling) via OMB/OLT like many other proposals from North York Centre Secondary Plan that was recently appealed to OMB/OLT. Mr.O probably won't get the proposed height of the 40-storey and 37-storey towers,... floors will likely be chopped here and added to the 26-storey tower to get about 30-32-storey for each tower to match the 100m height limit of North York Centre Secondary Plan area and podium size will increase to ensure the 1046 units proposed. Here, I'll be betting on Mr.O because Mr.O always win!

I'm just surprise Mr.O's Planning Rationale statement didn't read "the local City Councillor is old and outdated"! That basically sums up the animosity Mr.O and the local City Councillor has for each other,... trust me, Nooo-body's interested in making friends!
I've read a number of your posts on this and related topic - wow, you've got a great grasp on what is going on here! As a local resident, to say that my life has been impacted by all this mess is to say the very least! Wonder if anything at all can be be done by the locals to speed up the process of road completion?

Original proposal land-locked 37 Glendora (red lot with arrow),...
48AvondaleLandLocking37Glendora.png

Wow,.... Mr.O's original proposal pissed-off the owner of 37 Glendora enough for them to sell,... to Mr.O!

New Site Plan includes 37 Glendora,.... and increase 40-storey tower to 42-storey (@mod need to update heading).
Original 40-37-26-storey with 10.58FSI,... proposal is now 42-37-26-storey with 10.36FSI
48Avondale_SiteMap.PNG

New revision recently submitted to City Planning - should be available on AIC in about a week,...

48AvondaleAerial.PNG

48Avondale_Aerial.PNG

48AvondaleDensity.PNG

48Avondale_BlockContext.PNG

48Avondale_3Dperspective.PNG

48Avondale_3DperspectiveBase.PNG

48AvondaleSitePlan.PNG

48Avondale_Landscape.PNG

48Avondale_GroundFloor.PNG

48Avondale5F.PNG

48Avondale_NWelevation.PNG

48Avondale_SEelevation.PNG

source:
48Avondale_team.PNG

After tracking high-density development proposals along Yonge corridor in Willowdale for 25 years,.... the Community Consultation for 48 Avondale is definitely one of the more memorable,... why?
- the Applicant, Mr.O, resubmitted a revised development proposal just before the Community Consultation meeting,... CityStaff especially CityPlanning, Parks and even Cllr Filion looked unprepared and like they were just winging it,....
- throughout the meeting, the CityPlanner kept saying I haven't seen the revised documents yet but I know it's in my email inbox,....
- Apparently, the owner of 37 Glendora was so pissed off that the original proposal landlocked his property, that he sold it,... to Mr.O; who included it in the revised development proposal which went from 10.58FSI to 10.36FSI density,... should have decreased more, but,....
- For all the local residents complaining about the 40-storey tower proposal,... no problem, now it's been revised upward to 42-storey! And increase unit count from 1046 to 1137! That shows how much balls Mr.O has!!!
- Cllr Filion wasn't even sure if there was on-site Parkland Dedication nor where,... and when a resident mentioned the proposed parkland include 2 lots the Applicant doesn't even own (I knew that since unlike Cllr Filion,... I actually went through the Development Application) - Cllr Filion started fumbling through documents to check - which shows how unprepared Cllr Filion was! What do you expect,... Cllr Filion basically retired - long ago!
- Cllr Filion also stated City has all the properties required for the Doris South Extension through TradeWind Ave,... that's false! The City still does NOT own 69 Glendora Ave - lot at southwest corner of Glendora and Tradewind Ave.

BottomLine: CityStaff and Cllr Filion were unprepared! Highly entertaining!!!

Last edited:
That's too bad the holdout lot gave in. It would have nicely broken up the massing of the 4-storey podium. Now it just looks big and uninspiring.

That's too bad the holdout lot gave in. It would have nicely broken up the massing of the 4-storey podium. Now it just looks big and uninspiring.

LOL, the hold-out lot was not going to save the massing on this block.

The only entity capable of that is the developer, who thus far doesn't seem so inclined.

New renderings are updated in the database. The storey counts went from 40, 37 and 26 storeys to 42, 37, and 26 storeys. The overall building heights went from 129.25m, 118.90m, 85.85m to 135.35m, 120.60m, 87.55m. The total unit counts went from 434, 352, 260 units to 441, 436, 260 units. Lastly, the overall parking count remained the same at 501 spaces.

The renderings are taken from the architectural plan via Rezoning Submission:

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6  2022-3.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6  2022-8.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6  2022-59.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6  2022-60.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6  2022-62.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6  2022-65.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6  2022-64.jpg

PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6  2022-63.jpg

Attachments

• PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6  2022-63.jpg
    PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6 2022-63.jpg
    778.9 KB · Views: 79
  • PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6  2022-64.jpg
    PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6 2022-64.jpg
    805.8 KB · Views: 71
  • PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6  2022-65.jpg
    PLN - Architectural Plans - JAN 6 2022-65.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 74
What the house owner @46 Avondale can do as the 26-storey building stands up beside his house starting 4-storey podium? Will the developer treat 46 Avondale house in the same way as Citylights project did to the house @93 Broadway Ave?
View attachment 377698View attachment 377699

Unpopular opinion!

" I think the house next to the tall building doesn't look out of place, if the homeowner eventually sell the home I guess they could potentially repurpose it into a retail space but who knows...

Just my 2 cents!

Why wait 30 years? Heritage will probably designate it next month in one of their swooping random lists of "important buildings", while missing the buildings that actually have massive historical significance.

Nah... "swooping random lists of "important buildings"

Honestly, the word heritage is so loosely defined here! Anything with a "plaque on the side of the building" to the use of "red bricks" is grounds to be considered a Heritage building 😂😂😂

What the house owner @46 Avondale can do as the 26-storey building stands up beside his house starting 4-storey podium? Will the developer treat 46 Avondale house in the same way as Citylights project did to the house @93 Broadway Ave?
View attachment 377698View attachment 377699
It does look a little weird but soon it would probably be sold to a development company or developer looking to build a modern house.

Request for Direction Report seeking to oppose this at the OLT is headed to the next meeting of NYCC.

Report here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-223797.pdf

Key Issues:

1649253871085.png

On Shadowing:
1649253900620.png

Other items:

- No on-site parkland dedication proposed

- Staff taking some issue w/the reduced parking here, and arguing data on comparison sites is inadequate for proper assessment.

- Finally there's a road widening required by the City on one frontage of 5M which they would like to take from the applicant's lands.

Last edited:

Back