Toronto 48 Avondale | 144.85m | 45s | Oulahen Team Realty | Turner Fleischer

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
@interchange42 this is a zoning/planning amendment, 1 application but for 2 different parcels, I couldn't decide how to title it or whether to keep it as one, or one for each parcel!

1628248855574.png

Addresses: *note the these are 2 discrete, though close-by parcels of land.

1628248919683.png

Parcel #1 is shown below:

1628248697127.png

Parcel #2

1628248804915.png

@sunnyraytoronto Any insights?

@interchange42 this is a zoning/planning amendment, 1 application but for 2 different parcels, I couldn't decide how to title it or whether to keep it as one, or one for each parcel!

View attachment 339686

Addresses: *note the these are 2 discrete, though close-by parcels of land.

View attachment 339687

Parcel #1 is shown below:

View attachment 339684

Parcel #2

View attachment 339685

@sunnyraytoronto Any insights?
Actually, this seems to be what the two parcels represent, for the moment anyway;

48AvondaleEtAlMap.jpg

No reason to worry about how a thread is started, If we need to split it into two later, we will.

Actually, this seems to be what the two parcels represent, for the moment anyway;

View attachment 339732

No reason to worry about how a thread is started, If we need to split it into two later, we will.

Thanks for the 'fix'..........obviously the coffee hadn't yet kicked in when I looked at the parcels!

Occasionally, CityPlanning might sometime miss listing a property as a clerical error - that may or may not be the case here with 37 Glendora Ave - so this might be one larger parcel of assembled land.

"Mr.O" owns numerous strategic properties throughout Willowdale, including:
- significant portion of the block directly west - Yonge St, Bales Ave, Avondale Ave, Glendora Ave
- some of the properties in this land-assembly - when I last checked a couple years ago,... but now at 15 lots that's a huge jump!
- previously land-assembled and owned entire west side of Bonnington Place (13 lots) between Sheppard to Anndale Ave - which City need for Doris Ave south extension (stalled since mid-1990s), numerous negotiations failed so Mr.O submitted a development application for 55 Sheppard East! City expropriated land in 2016 at 2014 prices, Mr.O appealed to OMB and won more financial compensation.

Also, at least 2 times, about 3 years ago that north side of Avondale near Tradewind Ave - numerous houses under different owner listed for sale under the same "Real Estate Agent",... err, I mean agent,... which make instant Land Assembly easy! I vaguely recall seeing the same tactic on Glendora Ave as well. The "agent" in question is Mr.Most (Hossein Mostafavi) who technically is not a real estate agent since he lost his license - but he still act as one but isn't on MLS

Right now, I don't know if Mr.O is the current owner of this 15 lot land-assembly - all I know is he owned a significantly smaller portion of it a few years ago. Mr.O did that 55 Sheppard East development application to force the City's hand in negotiation.

Here with Doris South Extension to Avondale via a widen TradeWind Ave (City still needs to expropriate 69 Glendora Ave - southwest corner of TradeWind and Glendora; City hates expropriation - this property might end up being conveyed to City as part of this project since development application usually takes 2 years and City wants Doris south extension done by 2023-2024) - that'll form a Service Road boundary for the North York Center Secondary Plan area,... so this site should see 80m (22-storey) just like the block to the north with Menkes 3 Cosmo/Savvy towers and townhouses or maybe even the 100m (30-storey typically allowed in North York Centre Secondary Plan) VS that adjacent Devron Developments 11-storey FLO project at northeast corner of Avondale and Bales Ave

I know Mr.O dealt with Tridel before,... but if I'm going to have to guess developer here, I'm guessing Menkes since:
- Menkes 3 Cosmos tower & townhouses to north
- Menkes has offices in Proctor & Gamble office building nearby
- Menkes very active in local area - 4800 Yonge 49-storey mix-use, 57 Linnelle Street, etc,...
- Menkes have dealt with "Mr.Most" before

Note: empty lot at 44 Avondale Ave was conveyed to City about 10 years ago by nearby Devron Developments 11-storey FLO project as part of Service Road requirements - it aligns with a westward south extension of Doris Ave to Everson Drive - this option was discussed at Community Consultation meetings but abandoned (it seems Menkes Savvy & Cosmo condo were designed with wide driveways and parkette to facilitate this). Doris South Extension will now be extended eastward through TradeWind Ave. Thus, 44 Avondale is likely no longer needed by Transportation Services and nearby properties will likely form the bases of on-site parkland dedication

Last edited:
Occasionally, CityPlanning might sometime miss listing a property as a clerical error - that may or may not be the case here with 37 Glendora Ave - so this might be one larger parcel of assembled land.

"Mr.O", has a hobby of being a local land-assembler/investor who owns numerous strategic properties throughout Willowdale, including:
- significant portion of the block directly west - Yonge St, Bales Ave, Avondale Ave, Glendora Ave
- some of the properties in this land-assembly - when I last checked a couple years ago,... but now at 15 lots that's a huge jump!
- previously land-assembled and owned entire west side of Bonnington Place (13 lots) between Sheppard to Anndale Ave - which City need for Doris Ave south extension (stalled since mid-1990s), numerous negotiations failed so Mr.O submitted a development application for 55 Sheppard East! City expropriated land in 2016 at 2014 prices, Mr.O appealed to OMB and won more financial compensation.

Also, at least 2 times, about 3 years ago that north side of Avondale near Tradewind Ave - numerous houses under different owner listed for sale under the same "Real Estate Agent",... err, I mean agent,... which make instant Land Assembly easy! I vaguely recall seeing the same tactic on Glendora Ave as well. The "agent" in question is Mr.Most (Hossein Mostafavi) who technically is not a real estate agent since he lost his license - but he still act as one but isn't on MLS

Right now, I don't know if Mr.O is the current owner of this 15 lot land-assembly - all I know is he owned a significantly smaller portion of it a few years ago. Mr.O is a local "monopoly player" who does land-assembly, smaller development like lot severances & maybe townhouses but generally not condo towers development - Mr.O only did that 55 Sheppard East development application to force the City's hand in negotiation.

Here with Doris South Extension to Avondale via a widen TradeWind Ave (City still needs to expropriate 69 Glendora Ave - southwest corner of TradeWind and Glendora; City hates expropriation - this property might end up being conveyed to City as part of this project since development application usually takes 2 years and City wants Doris south extension done by 2023-2024) - that'll form a Service Road boundary for the North York Center Secondary Plan area,... so this site should see 80m (22-storey) just like the block to the north with Menkes 3 Cosmo/Savvy towers and townhouses or maybe even the 100m (30-storey typically allowed in North York Centre Secondary Plan) VS that adjacent Devron Developments 11-storey FLO project at northeast corner of Avondale and Bales Ave

I know Mr.O dealt with Tridel before,... but if I'm going to have to guess developer here, I'm guessing Menkes since:
- Menkes 3 Cosmos tower & townhouses to north
- Menkes has offices in Proctor & Gamble office building nearby
- Menkes very active in local area - 4800 Yonge 49-storey mix-use, 57 Linnelle Street, etc,...
- Menkes have dealt with "Mr.Most" before

Note: empty lot at 44 Avondale Ave was conveyed to City about 10 years ago by nearby Devron Developments 11-storey FLO project as part of Service Road requirements - it aligns with a westward south extension of Doris Ave to Everson Drive - this option was discussed at Community Consultation meetings but abandoned (it seems Menkes Savvy & Cosmo condo were designed with wide driveways and parkette to facilitate this). Doris South Extension will now be extended eastward through TradeWind Ave. Thus, 44 Avondale is likely no longer needed by Transportation Services and nearby properties will likely form the bases of on-site parkland dedication

Brilliantly informative post! Thanks!

With Doris Ave South Extension via Tradewind to Avondale Ave - that solidify the eastern boundary of North York Centre Secondary Plan through this area and the previous emphasis on Transition to any of the existing single residential house neighbourhood is gone (just like along Doris north of Sheppard to Finch). As such the 100m maximum height limit (about 30-32-storey) and 4.5FSI maximum density should apply,....
- so I would expect City to reject this development application since it goes against the North York Centre Secondary Plan
- Then I would expect applicant to appeal to OMB/LPAT,... and the applicant to win since OMB/LPAT has been approving development applications with double the City's allowable FSI density in the area recently! The 2 taller tower of 40-storey and 37-storey (only seen around here at condos with direct subway connections) will likely get chopped a bit off the top to get closer to 30-32-storey but will likely get higher and fatter podiums to ensure a double density figure.
- the land assembly will likely increase in size as more the the adjacent properties will surely sell.

It'll be at least a minimum of 6 years before any shovel hits the ground here.

Ready for Fillion to hit the ceiling.

Yeap,.... local City Councillor Filion now hitting the ceiling!

Last edited:
From the Planning Rationale Report:

1628621673695.png

Parking ratio seems a tad high given the proximity of 2 subways lines. (0.48 overall, 0.43 for residents) ; though as per the norm this is less than
required under current City standards.

Also of note:

1628621749942.png

Further on:

1628621928502.png

Nice context Maps:

1628622116462.png

1628622054828.png

I can't say that I'm taken by the applicant's off-site park proposal.

Its very small ~0.1ha or about 0.25 acres.

1628622450522.png

The real need in this area is a park space large enough to create a sports field.

To me, it would make sense to pool applicant dollars and buy out all the homes on Avondale that abut Glendora Park.

That would create usable greenspace.

1628622710775.png

The existing park can't support a sports field, but w/that expansion it could.

With some space leftover for w/e the community would like.

Alternatively, if people preferred...........Wilket Creek is in a pipe under this park.

The additional space could, conceivably allow daylighting of the creek here; though that would be at the expense of any non-natural park amenity.

Is that from the Planning Rationale?

Yeap,... from page 59 of the Planning Rationale in the Overall Conclusions section.

Trust me, Mr.O isn't interested in making friends with CityStaff nor the local City Councillor. Mr.O have had countless battles with CityStaff & local City Councillor,.... and Mr.O wins,... and he will appeal until he wins. Mr.O always win! Here, Mr.O might not get the 10.58FSI density proposed but Mr.O will easily get double the 4.5FSI density (especially after more adjacent lots start selling) via OMB/OLT like many other proposals from North York Centre Secondary Plan that was recently appealed to OMB/OLT. Mr.O probably won't get the proposed height of the 40-storey and 37-storey towers,... floors will likely be chopped here and added to the 26-storey tower to get about 30-32-storey for each tower to match the 100m height limit of North York Centre Secondary Plan area and podium size will increase to ensure the 1046 units proposed. Here, I'll be betting on Mr.O because Mr.O always win!

I'm just surprise Mr.O's Planning Rationale statement didn't read "the local City Councillor is old and outdated"! That basically sums up the animosity Mr.O and the local City Councillor has for each other,... trust me, Nooo-body's interested in making friends!

Last edited:

Back