News   Jul 19, 2024
 918     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.9K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

Toronto 2024 Olympic Bid (Dead)

I dont see why the DRL could not be fast tracked since we basically have a route (we're just lacking the funding) and half the problem with getting a NFL franchise is the cost of a stadium. If the government would help with the stadium the NFL could be up here sooner than later. I would assume a new NFL stadium would give the Jays a place to use while their new stadium is built. That is a real win win.

I dont see why the DRL could not be fast tracked since we basically have a route (we're just lacking the funding)
No approved route, no EA, cost/complexity of deep tunneling under existing neighbourhoods etc... If we want a DRL by 2024 we need to start five years ago.

and half the problem with getting a NFL franchise is the cost of a stadium. If the government would help with the stadium the NFL could be up here sooner than later.
NFL is private (very profitable) enterprise. There shouldn't be a single dollar of public funding used to lure a franchise north.

No approved route, no EA, cost/complexity of deep tunneling under existing neighbourhoods etc... If we want a DRL by 2024 we need to start five years ago.

You can probably get DRL short done - but in any case, RER is probably more important than DRL in this context.

AoD

Last edited:
Practically every government helps out with sports franchises stadiums. You may not like it but that is the truth.

As for the DRL all these things are slowed down by funding. The best thing about an olympic bid is that it forces three levels of government which typically fight with each other to cooperate with eachother until the event is finished. That is especially important from a Toronto perspective which normally gets over looked at by the conservatives which favors the west, and doesnt get as much help from the Liberals as it actually needs because the Liberals know they have Toronto locked up anyway.

The only countries that have spent more than $10B are Greece and China.

Hey P23, why pollute this discussion with actual facts?? Paranoid conjecture and propaganda is so much more expedient.

You'll note it's a new member that has posted these two posts -- including the second which touches on every positive propaganda point an Olympic bid committee puts forward. I think it's a reasonable assumption to say that, pending lots of other posts on other threads, that this is a single-issue member shilling for an Olympics. DJThomps, please prove me wrong.

Riverdale, I'd like you to meet NoTO24!

I think it's a reasonable assumption to say that, pending lots of other posts on other threads, that this is a single-issue member shilling for an Olympics.

Riverdale, I'd like you to meet Animatronics!

Logical fallacy. Had the Pan Ams never happened, waterfront development could still have proceeded
My highlighting.

I'd like you to please note the 'could' in your own hypothetical musings. The fact is we don't have to muse!! Waterfront development did proceed, and in large part thanks to these games. No fallacy about it.

No, the logical fallacy in the debate is this false understanding of an opportunity cost to the games, that funding these games will directly result in a hemorrhaging of funding for social programs or potential transit/infrastructure spending in the city ... let's call it the Sophie's Choice delusion, a false 'either/or' choice that is misleading for two reasons:

1. government funding doesn't work in this way across jurisdictions. The vast bulk of the funding for these games must come in the form of stimulus/injection spending from higher levels of government, levels of government that have underfunded Toronto in this way for decades. This has the net effect of removing the opportunity cost from Toronto's purview and spreading it far wider.

2. there is no opportunity cost to injection funding that is earmarked or targeted in this way. If you take away the 'earmark' - the olympics in this case - there is no funding. Simple. So from a Toronto-centric perspective it is completely irrelevant to claim potential loss to what are essentially fictional funding alternatives (transit or social programs). Again, the opportunity cost exists beyond the city's jurisdiction.

Practically every government helps out with sports franchises stadiums. You may not like it but that is the truth.

Really? How much public money did MLSE need to build the ACC? How about MetLife Stadium? Public funding is the old way - times are changing.

animatronic Im going out to pick up my wife. Ill look into when I get back. I thought ACC was given land for their building.. but thats off the top of my head...

animatronic Im going out to pick up my wife. Ill look into when I get back. I thought ACC was given land for their building.. but thats off the top of my head...
I think we can agree that in the past, too many NA sports teams have received sickeningly generous stadium handouts from taxpayers?

Boston isn't our competition - it's Paris.

They've got the whole sentimental thing working for them.. 100 years since the last Paris Olympics.

I think we can agree that in the past, too many NA sports teams have received sickeningly generous stadium handouts from taxpayers?

I can agree with that. Actually the interesting bit is the SkyDome/Rogers centre would have cost 1B in 2015 dollars - and I can't imagine how a London Olympic Stadium analogue would have cost as much as that, sans retractable roof, luxury hotel and all.

Boston isn't our competition - it's Paris.
They've got the whole sentimental thing working for them.. 100 years since the last Paris Olympics.

They chose Boston over San Fran - it's insane. As to Paris I could be mean and bring up the issue of security - and the periphery. Keep in mind too the sentimental thing didn't work out for Athens in 1996, and Toronto actually beat Paris in 08.

Alright, summer is over for Toronto City Council and the Province, we have just a month and a half to submit the bid if we want the 2024 games.

It' not the candidature file that's due - more like a Letter of Intent.

AoD

Last edited:

Back