News   Jul 12, 2024
 222     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 372     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 217     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

They're all so crappy.

Couldn't agree more...aside from being ridiculously bland, they're all drawn in the same (cartoonish) style. I would have at least liked to see a few different artistic styles to represent the different characters. I can't even pick a favourite.

Here is the official webpage: http://www.toronto2015mascot.ca/

They all look as if they came from some TVO Kids show or on YTV (during the early morning). I bet that they have squeaky boys' voices. It is unfortunate that they are all drawn in the same style.

I would rather vote for an ersatz Kirby (even if he turns out to be yellow-orange) than any of the finalists.

Last edited:
Those mascots are almost as bad as the logo! Not that anybody will be watching the Pan Am games anyway..

I suspect these nothing games will generate about as much interest as the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne:

[video=youtube;aLAjLHc8vh8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLAjLHc8vh8[/video]

Don't be ignorant.

I'm being realistic. Have you, or anybody that you know ever talked about or even acknowledged the existence of the Pan Am games before Toronto 'won' the bid? Nobody gives a shit about this sideshow - especially in North America. It will attract practically zero television revenue, and that's what sporting events rely upon. Not only that, but none of the facilities are even Olympic-worthy, which is presumably why this boondoggle was bid upon in the first place: to support a future Olympic bid. This is going to be such a huge financial fail that it will set back any potential Olympic bid by decades, if not permanently. And there's absolutely no prestige involved in hosting the Pan Am games. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and Winnipeg hosted this shitshow FFS!!

I'm being realistic. Have you, or anybody that you know ever talked about or even acknowledged the existence of the Pan Am games before Toronto 'won' the bid? Nobody gives a shit about this sideshow - especially in North America. It will attract practically zero television revenue, and that's what sporting events rely upon. Not only that, but none of the facilities are even Olympic-worthy, which is presumably why this boondoggle was bid upon in the first place: to support a future Olympic bid. This is going to be such a huge financial fail that it will set back any potential Olympic bid by decades, if not permanently. And there's absolutely no prestige involved in hosting the Pan Am games. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic and Winnipeg hosted this shitshow FFS!!

As an opponent of an Olympic bid, i hope you're right, but I expect the PanAms will have zero effect on an Oly bid, nor will it lose much money as the event spends so much less.

Sure, we can poke fun at the Pan Am games by linking to a comedy show in Melbourne making fun of how hard it is to get rid of badminton and lawn bowling tickets (guess what, these events are tough sells in Olympic cities too) or we could link to the KPMG report showing a $2.9B economic impact of the games (split roughly half and half between pre games construction type impact and during/post games tourism type impact).......I will let you pick which is the more credible source but if you like the KPMG report you might want these games to have as much impact as the 2006 Commonwealth games.

http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/research/bitstream/handle/10453/19802/econ_impact_report.pdf?sequence=1

You could, also, poke fun at the fact that Winnipeg and Santo Domingo are previous hosts leaving out that Rio, Buenos Aires, Mexico City and Chicago have also hosted. That is kinda like saying why would we want to host the summer olympics....Helsinki and Antwerp have done that?

The Pan Ams are what they are, the real boost we will get is that they really matter to countries in central and south america. They matter, in part, because these are sporting nations that have national pride and these games are where they are most competitive. Toronto, I believe, has a pretty good reputation as a summer (by our calender) holiday destination for those countries and I expect you are going to hear a lot of Spanish being spoken in the streets of Toronto in 2015....and I think Torontonians will rise, late, to that fervour/passion from the south and show up to events.

EDIT: Hamilton, in particular, will get a big summer boost......it was a sort of fumble and dribble way of getting there but after all the fits and starts and changes to what they would get/host....they ended up with "just" all of the soccer games.......it won't be the full international teams but a tournament of pretty good Argentinians, Uruguayans, Brazilians, etc will turn downtown Hamilton into the place to be for a few weeks!

Last edited:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/amate...up_over_u_of_ts_planned_artificial_field.html

The University of Toronto’s back campus is either an idyllic field worth protecting or a mud pit that should be replaced with artificial turf so students can actually play sports on it.

It depends who’s doing the talking: prominent Torontonians and heritage activists or university and Pan Am Games officials.

City council will have to decide next week between these two warring visions after a surprise move last week by Councillor Adam Vaughan to have the university’s grass fields designated “a cultural heritage landscape.”

If council were to pass the city preservation board’s recommendation to designate the private property tucked in behind Hart House as a heritage landscape, it would spell the end of the $9.5 million 2015 Pan Am Games project for field hockey and para soccer.

When I first heard that someone wanted to identify grass as having Heritage value, I thought; “who would be behind an idiotic idea like this”. Naturally, it turned out to be Adam Vaughan.

At least if this goes to City Council they should be smart enough to kill this idea pretty quick. I hope Ford does not make a statement on this because a good number of Councilors would then support Heritage grass just to spite the Ford’s.

Last edited:

Back