News   Jul 12, 2024
 414     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 477     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 266     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

When I first heard that someone wanted to identify grass as having Heritage value, I thought; “who would be behind an idiotic idea like this”. Naturally, it turned out to be Adam Vaughan.

At least if this goes to City Council they should be smart enough to kill this idea pretty quick. I hope Ford does not make a statement on this because a good number of Councilors would then support Heritage grass just to spite the Ford’s.

This is the city council we have. And these are the "issues" they like to discuss.

It is pure and utter lunacy.

Well City council defeated the motion 30-13 - the project goes ahead with a review after 10 years to see if there is any negative impact.

7 hours of council time was spent on the issue

"...we're wasting a whole morning talking about some grass?" (the discussion and amendments continued after lunch, until 4:30pm) - Councillor Mammoliti

"...we're wasting a whole morning talking about some grass?" (the discussion and amendments continued after lunch, until 4:30pm) - Councillor Mammoliti

This is the same man who only yesterday moved this amendment;

"3 - Motion to Amend Item (Additional) moved by Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti (Out of Order)

That City Council direct that anywhere south of Davenport be reverted to horse and buggy and all asphalt be removed from this area and returned to dirt road; and that City Council suggest that residents dress in period costume reminiscent of pioneer times."

I see his promises to be nicer after his brain transplant have not worked out too well.

From the Toronto Star

It was to be the perfect balance of form and function.

If a group of local business people and politicians get their way, that vision could be revived, lighting up the night sky in brilliant hues of reds, blues and greens.

In the ten years since the suicide barrier was installed on the Bloor viaduct, it’s done its job admirably: not a single person has jumped to his or her death. But the utilitarian steel cables and superstructure have never been completed according to their original design, which included lighting both under and on top of the Prince Edward Bridge.

A new plan that’s been in the works for almost five years would reintroduce the lighting with a new design to transform the bridge into a beacon of light, visible from planes landing at the Island airport and towers in the east end of downtown. It’s to be done in time for Toronto’s hosting of the Pan Am Games in 2015.
Photos View gallery

The suicide barrier has been effective, but it's not necessarily pretty - a fact Councillor Paula Fletcher wants to change. zoom

“The most delicious part about this whole project has been the reaction and the support from everywhere we go,” said Jennifer Jones, chair of the bridge lighting committee at the Danforth BIA and one of the projects biggest cheerleaders. “Everyone is so excited. There’s this clear sense that the city needs this.”

Now that the visual impact study has been completed, the project will face its last hurdle on Wednesday, when city council’s executive committee will vote on several legacy projects for the games.

Councillor Paula Fletcher (Ward 30, Toronto-Danforth) says there’s been enthusiasm from all quarters, including people in the mayor’s office, for the project, which will cost an estimated $1.6 to $1.9 million.

The city still has about $4 million to spend on legacy projects for the games, but would have to approve the “luminous veil” this week in order to be ready on time, she said.

“The project will light up this architectural wonder in the City of Toronto, providing an iconic image for the games that everyone can see when they drive down the Don Valley Parkway,” said Fletcher.

In the new design, light will cascade like water as it laps up on shore on either side of Bloor St. E. Under the viaduct, the steel archways that support the subway will be illuminated with colour.

Controlled by computer, the lights offer endless possibilities for special events, though in general they will be warmer in winter and cooler in the summer months.

“It’s not garish or in-your-face,” said Jones. “It’s subtle and beautiful.”

The plan incorporates LED lights, which will be energy efficient and require little maintenance.

“We would have been at the forefront of lit bridges if we had done it when the luminous veil went up. It’s called the luminous veil. It wasn’t called the suicide prevention bridge. It’s still missing the luminous,” Jones said.

She wants to take the emphasis off suicide prevention and bring a more positive light to the barrier.

“It’s spiritual,” he said. “To light a bridge is to celebrate life.”

To me that seems like a waste ... I'd rather the money used for a great art piece / fountain / ... in a more prominent downtown location ... I mean who are we catering too here ... DVP drives ...

To me that seems like a waste ... I'd rather the money used for a great art piece / fountain / ... in a more prominent downtown location ... I mean who are we catering too here ... DVP drives ...

/sarcasm, I hope? It would be visible all the way south to that new 'nabe they're building for some athletic competition...

Although I do admit you might have to stand on the Queen bridge or on top of that new park thingy.

Hanging a temporary flag or LED Toronto PanAm logo from the bridge for the Games would make this the iconic open/close shot - a green Don Valley, beautiful bridge construction, subway rumbling underneath. Toronto!

No sarcasm whatsoever ! Wouldn't you agree a grand fountain on the waterfront, or in NPS would be so much more rewarding for the city !

Updated renders of the soccer stadium - to be called Tim Hortons Field before and after the games

oPtP0Aq.jpg

JtBWe8E.jpg

Back