News   Jul 17, 2024
 526     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 630     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

I see Paul Henderson (the Olympian and not the hockey great) has some comments on the costs of the Pan Am games.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/01/02/henderson-letter-outlines-skyrocketing-pan-am-games-costs

I agree that:
1) existing venues should be used instead of building new ones.
2) the same venue can be used twice since most events do not last the entire duration of the games,
3) temporary facilities are preferred to white-elephants,
4) it should be scheduled when most top athletes will attend.

I am not sure that combining the Pan Am and Pan Para Games would save money. Is it easier to manage a giant games or a large games followed by a small games?

In general, the public tends to be a bit "schizophrenic" on this sort of topic.

If you produce bare bones games (following the Winnipeg Pan Am model and the Victoria Commnwealth games) the criticism is "that was pointless, all that trouble, no impact and no legacy and we end up with 2nd rate games that should be held in smaller cities (like Victoria and Winnipeg...no disrespect)".

If you spend money and try and make the games big and have them leave behind a legacy of infrastructure (eg Rio Pan Am games...which built Olympic calibre facilities and, guess what, got awarded the Olympics) the public cries foul over the amount of money spent and throws around terms like "whie elephants".

My bigggest criticism of our Pan Am games is that we sit here 3 and a bit years from the event and it is not clear to me what kind of games they are planning for and where the events will be. If we end up making the decision too late, the decision will be made for them and the lack of time could lead to the worst sort of compromise......low impact games/facilities built/prepared in a rush thus costing us as if we planned the big type event.

I do think that the concepts of using venues for more than one event and hosting the Pan and Pan Para games at the same time are mutually exclusive....you can do one of those things but not both.

Gee, i was hoping that Toronto (waterfront) would have landed the Velodrome...Well:(

TO2015 Confirms Milton Velodrome

Special Report: Pan Am

In a press release issued this morning, Toronto 2015, the Pan Am Games host corporation, confirmed that the town of Milton has committed to building a permanent velodrome at Milton Educational Village (MEV) that will be used for cycling events during the Games.

TO2015 CEO Ian Troop is quoted saying, "On behalf of TO2015, we would like to thank the Town of Milton for making this velodrome a reality. This is the result of sound deliberation and an appreciation for the potential associated with a permanent velodrome."

This dashes the hopes of a group of Hamilton Velodrome supporters who have been trying to keep Hamilton's velodrome bid alive by fundraising to top up City Council's $5 million contribution cap.

Last October, TO2015 responded to Council's decision by stating that the city's contribution was too low and it would have to pursue alternate locations. By December, Milton emerged as a serious contender.

More.....http://www.raisethehammer.org/article/1531/to2015_confirms_milton_velodrome

Cricket is currently a demonstration sport but Cricket Canada is lobbying to have it installed as a full sport. The site earmarked for this sport is currently northern Brampton (currently nothing there either) but there could be a venue change announced shortly.
Stay tuned.

The cricket event is off.......but Brampton is building the venue anyways.

As for other events....Brampton is now not a venue for anything.

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/news/cityhall/article/1303555--no-pan-am-events-in-brampton

We should drop "Bid" from the title to this thread.

Anyways, for the guys out there, here are four reasons to get excited about the Pan Am Games.

panamrelaymedals.jpg

Or if you swing the other way...

1017111.jpg

Nope - as far as I know Brampton had applied for ICC funding for that facility but were refused and at the moment this would be a non ICC sanctioned facility if it goes forward. There are other efforts to build a World Class Cricket facility in the GTA going forward - and that venue will be a true destination on its own and not out in the middle of nowhere. Should be announced shortly.

That said there is still a need for that facility in Brampton. Cricket is Canada's fastest growing sport...

Nope - as far as I know Brampton had applied for ICC funding for that facility but were refused and at the moment this would be a non ICC sanctioned facility if it goes forward. There are other efforts to build a World Class Cricket facility in the GTA going forward - and that venue will be a true destination on its own and not out in the middle of nowhere. Should be announced shortly.

That said there is still a need for that facility in Brampton. Cricket is Canada's fastest growing sport...

Firstly....some of us do not think that Brampton (particularly south Brampton where the 410 and 407 meet) qualifies as "out in the middle of nowhere".

Secondly....I think the angle they are playing here is to build a facility that would meet the Pan Am Games needs for Baseball and softball (thus getting funding from the games .....although I am not sure why they are only expecting $7 million out of $40 million when Milton/Hamilton/etc have been getting 56% of the cost covered) and shifting the $4.5 million that Brampton has committed for a new cricket facility (which, yes, was planned for a more remote part of Brampton in the North East) and a new Kabaddi stadium (on the Powerade site mentioned here). After the games the baseball stadium would be converted for use for cricket and kabaddi......there is no mention of ICC funding or sanctioning.

Firstly....some of us do not think that Brampton (particularly south Brampton where the 410 and 407 meet) qualifies as "out in the middle of nowhere".

Secondly....I think the angle they are playing here is to build a facility that would meet the Pan Am Games needs for Baseball and softball (thus getting funding from the games .....although I am not sure why they are only expecting $7 million out of $40 million when Milton/Hamilton/etc have been getting 56% of the cost covered) and shifting the $4.5 million that Brampton has committed for a new cricket facility (which, yes, was planned for a more remote part of Brampton in the North East) and a new Kabaddi stadium (on the Powerade site mentioned here). After the games the baseball stadium would be converted for use for cricket and kabaddi......there is no mention of ICC funding or sanctioning.

I stand corrected - I had overlooked the change in venue. But for the facility to host international tournaments the grounds have to be built to ICC specifications and I don't believe a dual purpose ground would meet the criteria. It would be a better location than the original site.

I stand corrected - I had overlooked the change in venue. But for the facility to host international tournaments the grounds have to be built to ICC specifications and I don't believe a dual purpose ground would meet the criteria. It would be a better location than the original site.

Anyway....its not happening.

For some reason, the proponents brought this to counsel today and the application to the PanAms is due next week....what did they think, this is Markham and taxpayer money can be spent willy nilly on no notice with no input? ;)

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/news/cityhall/article/1351868--i-sense#Comments

On another note.....did Toronto just get messed around a bit here?

Because our soccer stadium (BMO Field) was going to be used for Pan Ams, we were not considered for as one of the 6 host cities for the Women's World Cup that Canada is hosting in 2015. Days after the CSA and FIFA announce who the 6 host cities are the Hamilton Spectator is now reporting that Hamilton will host 100% of the Pan Am soccer tournament.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/a...pan-am-soccer-but-volleyball-is-up-in-the-air

strange that!

Back