News   Jul 17, 2024
 545     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 640     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

The Spectator is reporting a deal has been reached between Bob Young and the city.

Ivor Wynne will be demolished and a new stadium will be built there. It's not clear if it will be built in the exact spot or beside it on the former Scott Park School grounds.

During the time the stadium is under construction, up to two CFL seasons, the Ti-Cats will play their home games at the Rogers Centre.

During the time the stadium is under construction, up to two CFL seasons, the Ti-Cats will play their home games at the Rogers Centre.
One season can be justified but I think two is asking a lot of Ticat fans.

I assume the two construction seasons would be 2013 and '14, which suggests the Bills in Toronto Series will not be renewed.

Why not..:confused: i doubt that the Rogers Centre wont negotiate future NFL games because the Tiger Cats are coming to town..lol
You're talking about more competition for dates from July to November and less time to convert fields between football and baseball AND between CFL and NFL fields, as well as other events. December is available, but there have been various stories that the Bills and/or Rogers no longer want December dates for Toronto. That would become an even bigger problem if, as some have suggested, a second agreement involved two regular season games.

I think it's a moot point anyway since I doubt Rogers will renew after taking a massive bath with this deal, but we'll see.

And the entire thing hinges on one man living. All bets are off when Ralph Wilson dies. Hell, the Bills could be the Toronto Bills within a few years.

You're talking about more competition for dates from July to November and less time to convert fields between football and baseball AND between CFL and NFL fields, as well as other events. December is available, but there have been various stories that the Bills and/or Rogers no longer want December dates for Toronto. That would become an even bigger problem if, as some have suggested, a second agreement involved two regular season games.

I think it's a moot point anyway since I doubt Rogers will renew after taking a massive bath with this deal, but we'll see.

They already said they would.

They already said they would.

who said? The team said those were just rumours. No deal is in place with Rogers for them to play at the Rogers Centre. In fact Mitchell and Young have pretty much listed every place other than Rogers Centre when asked about where the team would play.

Also, Rogers already gives the Argos horrible dates for their games. They give precedence to concerts and other events that they earn more money off of. They probably wouldn't be too thrilled about losing twice as many dates.

As Pan Am costs double, Ford says no more surprises
Toronto's contribution to the 2015 sporting extravaganza is now estimated at $96.5-million - up from $49.5-million in February, 2009 - and construction hasn't even started.

Up to $23-million of the extra cash is for cleaning up the soil at the future home of the Pan Am Aquatic Centre, which will be located partly atop the city's old Morningside dump next to the University of Toronto's Scarborough campus.

Mr. Ford's executive committee was warned on Monday that if Toronto refused to remediate the site, it could lose the coveted swimming venue, likely to the Town of Markham, which is still lobbying for the Pan Am pool.

"It bothers me a lot. I was completely blindsided by this ... we didn't really have a choice," Mr. Ford told reporters after the cabinet-like executive committee voted unanimously to pay the higher costs.

"We had a gun put to our head, as you saw, or Markham would have got it."

Toronto's full council still has to approve the heftier bill.

However, city manager Joe Pennachetti told the committee that taxpayers won't be on the hook for restoring the aquatics site.

The money will come out of a reserve account dedicated exclusively to restoring old landfills, he said.

A partnership with U of T Scarborough means the postsecondary institution will pay the balance of a $52-million cleanup bill that would be the city's alone if it developed the parcel by itself.

"That additional $23-million, that cost, cannot be avoided," Councillor Norm Kelly said. "All you're going to be doing is deferring that cost to a later date."

Ian Troop, chief executive officer of Toronto 2015, said that while it was still theoretically possible to shift the aquatics centre to Markham, it would be difficult considering work is supposed to begin as early as the end of this year.

Showing true Hamilton spirit, all parties are still working hard to blow up this new stadium plan.

The fully costed Ivor Wynne renovation turns out to still be $50million more than the city has. Also it has been revealed that Bob Young's allusions to the team sponsors kicking in money to help build the stadium were false. They have only agreed to not terminate their existing sponsorship contracts. Or in other words, they haven't said anything at all. He just made it up.

All the city's chips are now on the table. Unless the dealer draws a McGuinty by noon on Monday, there will be no stadium in Hamilton.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/477453--ivor-wynne-s-final-play

Last edited:
Just build the thing in the GTA and be done with it. Hamilton was given a chance to be a part of Toronto 2015 and it hasn't gotten its act together.

Back