News   Jul 17, 2024
 526     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 631     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

2011's tourney takes place from June 26 to July 17, while the Pan Am's will take place from July 10 to July 26. There's nothing to say that the World Cup can't be held later in the summer. It wouldn't be able to overlap if they had any hope of using BMO Field.

I'm also wondering if we might see a World Jr. Hockey Championship in the GTA around then. There hasn't been on in southern Ontario since 1986. You'd think we're due.

While it is feesible to, say, have a women's world cup that runs from mid June to early July and a Pan Am Games from, say, mid July to early August....it would cause a real problem for the club/business that uses that stadium for its home...FIFA insist total control of stadiums they use for their tournaments and I suspect Pan Am Games would too (for sponsorship and security control reasons) having TFC out of their stadium for 6 weeks (or so) could be very problematic.

ya I forgot about TFC and was going to say that maybe Toronto doesn't even get included and they keep the tournament in 5 or 6 stadiums out west, but they're expanding the tournament to 24 teams for 2015, so they'll need at least 8 stadiums. They could still leave out Toronto, but to not use the national stadium would probably be frowned upon by FIFA as well.

Hey, by that time Rogers might own them and just slip them into the Rogers Centre for the time of the Pan Am games.

That's possible but I think there is a role for Rogers Centre at the Pan Ams too....I think the opening and closing ceremonies are there and games of this sort also try to have a non-sport "cultural" aspect (ie. Bryan Adams and Nelly Furtado concerts)...my bet is a lot of that is targeted to be at SkyDome....but who knows.

Canada has officially put forth its bid for the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup and we are basically the frontrunners to win.
Big deal, so was England for the 2018 Men's World Cup and so were the U.S. & Australia for 2022, and look what happened to them! FIFA has now officially surpassed the IOC for corruption.

On the other hand, Canada probably has the backing of CONCACAF head honcho Jack "I can't be any more corrupt if I tried" Warner, so we'll probably get it.

Last edited:
^England also thought they had Jack's vote....that is why Beckham spent so much time down in the Carribean coaching kids!

I don't think the women's world cup suffers from the same level of corruption and vote buying as, frankly, there is no great financial pay off for the host nation....it is, simply, not as big a tournament and does not attract the same amount of supporters or media coverage.

Ya GenerationW is delusional if he's putting the Women's World Cup on the same level as the Men's. I doubt most people in Germany (one of the sport's super powers) even know their hosting it next year.

^England also thought they had Jack's vote....that is why Beckham spent so much time down in the Carribean coaching kids!

I don't think the women's world cup suffers from the same level of corruption and vote buying as, frankly, there is no great financial pay off for the host nation....it is, simply, not as big a tournament and does not attract the same amount of supporters or media coverage.
I was being facetious about the women's WC.

The fact that England only received two (TWO!!) votes in the first round shows FIFA has no shame about how corrupt it is. I'm no England backer, but a measly two votes for a competent and safe bid by a country which invented the game pretty much says it all.

The silver lining in the bizarre recent decision where to host the 2018, and especially, the 2022 World Cup is that until now any thought of Canada being able to host it was considered a virtual impossibility. But they've awarded it to Qatar, a tiny, scorching, desert of a country with little soccer history, with only 1.2 million people. Truly shocking, it shows that any bid is possible.

The silver lining in the bizarre recent decision where to host the 2018, and especially, the 2022 World Cup is that until now any thought of Canada being able to host it was considered a virtual impossibility. But they've awarded it to Qatar, a tiny, scorching, desert of a country with little soccer history, with only 1.2 million people. Truly shocking, it shows that any bid is possible if you have a government that can and will devote a billion or more to new/improved stadiums.

Fixed your post

More than a billion. Qatar's and Russia's stadiums will cost in the billions (right now both are pegged at around $4 billion) and that doesn't include other infrastructure improvements. The cost for Canada would be similar, and like Qatar and (perhaps to a lesser extent) Russia we would have absolutely no use for them after. Qatar is supposedly dismantling some of the stadiums and shipping them to various African locales as a "gift". Something tells me Canadians wouldn't be in favour of that. Until Canada has patriotic oil barons who are amongst the richest people in the world and are willing to fund their own tournament, we're not getting a World Cup.

I think if the world cup ever did come to Canada, it wouldn't really feel like the world cup having all the games spread out amongst the whole country. That's the beauty of some of these european countries like Germany where every game is less than a days drive to get to. I think if the World Cup dd come to Canada it would be best to have it between Ontario and Quebec. I.e. Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, *maybe Hamilton, or K-W, or London. Or just have it in the west. I.e. Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver.

Having all the games spread apart just feels so disconnecting from the atmosphere of the world cup.

The US had no problems in 94.

If you can find 10-12 suitable stadiums (so min. 45,000 seats with a good portion, if not all, being state of the art, and at least one being 80,000) in a region like Ontario-Quebec, or out west, then by all means. Fact is, you wouldn't find that many across the entire country. You're also talking about communities that might not have the infrastructure capacity to handle an influx of 50,000 people. Could London handle that? Where would people stay? How would they get around? how would they get to Toronto or Montreal for the next game? and so on...

Last edited:
I think if the world cup ever did come to Canada, it wouldn't really feel like the world cup having all the games spread out amongst the whole country. That's the beauty of some of these european countries like Germany where every game is less than a days drive to get to. I think if the World Cup dd come to Canada it would be best to have it between Ontario and Quebec. I.e. Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, *maybe Hamilton, or K-W, or London. Or just have it in the west. I.e. Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver.

Having all the games spread apart just feels so disconnecting from the atmosphere of the world cup.

It worked ok in America with games coast to coast.....there were games in South Africa which were not "less than a days drive" from each other.....Brazil will be pretty spread out and, I think, you can count on that in Riussia too.....in fact compact countries are probably more the exception than the norm.

Add in that if we ever did get the tournament.....we don't have a province (or even a combination of two provinices) where it would make any sense at all to have 10 - 12 stadiums of World Cup size built.

One prognosticator actually speculated that a joint U.S.-Canada bid will win in 2030. That will be sandwiched between China in 2026, and a return to Europe in 2034.

I'm not sure the Americans would ever want to share the glory, but that's the only way I could ever see Canada getting a World Cup.

Back