News   Jul 17, 2024
 526     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 631     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Who was this prognosticator? I haven't seen/heard anyone make such an uneducated claim. It's not even about glory. It's entirely about money. First of all, why would the US want a joint bid with Canada when they have enough facilities (They have 100 stadiums that seat 50,000+) to host 8 tournaments simultaneously tomorrow if they wanted. The only way Canada is in on a bid is if the incredibly poor CSA pays the US multimillions to enter a partnership to offset all of the American's lost revenue from losing whatever number of games Canada received. From the American perspective, keeping in mind that the 94 World Cup made a profit of $100million I don't have any clue why they would want to share that with another country (And odds are that number would be at least doubled considering Germany in 06 earned 135million euros).

Given that Russia, Qatar, and probably China will host the 3 preceding events spending exorbitant amounts on state of the art facilities, do we really want to showcase Commonwealth Stadium? Sure we could have an NFL stadium by 2030, but that's not a guarantee, plus I can't imagine FIFA or the Americans would be okay with a joint event where only one stadium in Canada is used, unless we're okay with spending to needlessly spend (a) billion(s) to upgrade a bunch of CFL stadiums, which is pretty doubtful.

Canada's best hope is finding more oil.

I can't remember where I read that (might have been ESPN Soccernet), but obviously it's all wild speculation at this point.

As for why the U.S. might want a joint bid, consider this: With FIFA's current mindset of expanding the World Cup into new markets such as Russia and Qatar, the U.S. might think that adding a another new host country like Canada would make the bid more attractive to FIFA. The Americans may conclude that they need us to win.

As for why the U.S. might want a joint bid, consider this: With FIFA's current mindset of expanding the World Cup into new markets such as Russia and Qatar, the U.S. might think that adding a another new host country like Canada would make the bid more attractive to FIFA. The Americans may conclude that they need us to win.
That's not the craziest thing I've heard.

Though a key part of a winning FIFA World Cup bid are the large cash payments to the FIFA member who vote. That doesn't tend to go down well in either American or Canadian circles ... and it's the more corrupt countries like Russia and Qatar who are willing to make such payments.

That's not the craziest thing I've heard.

Though a key part of a winning FIFA World Cup bid are the large cash payments to the FIFA member who vote. That doesn't tend to go down well in either American or Canadian circles ... and it's the more corrupt countries like Russia and Qatar who are willing to make such payments.

Did US atitudes to buying events change after they got the Atlanta Olympics?

I think what hurt the US in their 2022 is that if they got it they would have established the shortest gap between the same country hosting the event ever (excluding when Mexico stepped in at the last minute to save the 1986 tournament)......I just think they were bidding too soon......I am reasonably sure if they could have bought their way in, they would have.

France has had the finals twice....60 years apart......Italy twice 56 years apart......Germany twice (although the first time was West Germany) 32 years apart.....When the 2014 World Cup kicks off in Brazil it will have been 64 years since they last hosted. England has not hosted since 1966. (as I mentioned there were only 16 years between Mexico World Cups but the second one was initially supposed to be in Columbia but was moved so that is a bit different)

It would seem strange to give the WC back to a non tradditional soccer nation after "only" a 28 year absence when there were other viable bids on the table.

As for 2030? I would bet money that it is in China or India. Two Asian nations of growing financial power and with massive populations who have never hosted the WC. China would be a safer bet at this time but we are 20 years away from the tournament and probably 8 years from the deicision so there is lots of time for India to improve their soccer standing...but be safe, put your money down early on China.

EDIT: was just thinking about this post I made last night and realized that I had "skipped" a WC in my logic......it would seem to me that 2026 decision is 8 years away....2030 is probably 12 years away from being decided. Given that Qatar is in 2022 it would seem that North America (likely that means USA) would probably be a leading candidate for 2026 - too early to go back to Europe after 2018, Asia I think is out because of Qatar...so you are left with South America, North America and Oceana.....I could see 2026 being a battle between Argentina, Australia and America!

Last edited:
I'd suggest though that FIFA's rotation rules are not set in stone and can be changed at any time. If China (or India) wants a World Cup, I'm sure it's theirs for the taking even if it means eliminating (whether temporarily or permanently) the previous hosting policy. FIFA would salivate over the exposure in these countries and wouldn't pass up the chance to get massive football related investment there.

Sure FIFA might hint that the Americans should team up with Canada for a bid, but as I outlined above, it would essentially just mean we're paying a lot of money (billions in stadium upgrades and probably cash to the Americans) for an automatic spot into the tournament. However, we'll also certainly have a new FIFA president by then who probably won't be as keen as Blatter to explore "interesting" bids, when many safe and beyond capable countries (like the US and Britain) want to host. As much as Canada is a safe country to include, what I'm getting at is that they might not even need us.

Finally, I think we also have to keep in mind that geopolitics is changing quite rapidly and the US isn't exactly poised for an amazing run in the next few years. Given what's happened in the last ten years, who knows if the US will even be in a position where it makes sense for them to bid.

I apologize in advance for my little knowledge on the subject but why couldn't the SkyDome be used? And if not the SkyDome, BMO field? Varsity stadium? It is the Toronto PanAm Games after all.

Dome is being used for baseball and Opening/Closing Ceremonies. BMO Field and Varsity are already being used for soccer.
Hamilton needs to get this figured out. They need the new stadium more than Mississauga or Brampton or anywhere else.

Because they have a professional football team threatening to leave if they don't get the stadium they want. The stadium location also has economic impacts, particularly if they want to use to as a downtown revitalization catalyst. The issue in Hamilton is bigger than just where the soccer is played.

Because they have a professional football team threatening to leave if they don't get the stadium they want. The stadium location also has economic impacts, particularly if they want to use to as a downtown revitalization catalyst. The issue in Hamilton is bigger than just where the soccer is played.

To me there are no bad guys here.

The City of Hamilton has been clear from day one that if they are going to invest their money in a stadium that they want it to have more long term impact on the city than just the 2 or 3 weeks of the games and that while they want the TiCats to stay they are not going to just invest public money for 9 CFL games a year without getting other benefits.

The TiCats have been clear that after the games the stadium would need their money to be brought to CFL standards (is that an oxymoron?) and that they are only willing to agree to do that if the new stadium was a good financial deal for them and ensured their losses would end/reduce.

The Pan Am games folks have been very accomodating and waiting until the last possible date (they must be close) to pull the plug on Hamilton and have not (that I am aware) interfered with the local issue of "Where".

This may just be a case were the 3 competing interests (Games/CFL/City Building) don't match up and that whatever compromise is reached is too much a compromise for one side or the other.

As for Mississauga/Brampton/Markham ......I cannot fathom why any of those would want to invest tax dollars in a stadium that will hold 8k people. I could see them giving unused land and saying to Hostco "ok, build it there but use your own money" but why they would want a stadium of that size....I have no idea.

Re: possible joint Canada/U.S. World Cup bid: the world already sees Canada as an extension of the United States. Do we really want to reinforce that view on the biggest stage in the world? At least with the summer Olympics it's a stage we'd have to ourselves.

Re: possible joint Canada/U.S. World Cup bid: the world already sees Canada as an extension of the United States. Do we really want to reinforce that view on the biggest stage in the world? At least with the summer Olympics it's a stage we'd have to ourselves.
We already have two pro sports teams (the Jays and the Raptors) in this city who are American in every respect except for where they play, so don't blame the world if they have that perception. It's not like the Americans pushed them on us -- prominent Torontonians went south and begged and pleaded for those teams.

In the world of pro sports, this part of Canada has been an extension of the U.S. for years.

We already have three pro sports teams (the Jays, TFC and the Raptors) in this city who are American in every respect except for where they play, so don't blame the world if they have that perception. It's not like the Americans pushed them on us -- prominent Torontonians went south and begged and pleaded for those teams.

In the world of pro sports, this part of Canada has been an extension of the U.S. for years.

amended your post a bit.

The fact that the current stadium includes features built for the Commonwealth Games in 1930 doesn't help either. It's 80 years old and has been allowed to deteriorate despite later expansions. A new one is long overdue.

Back