News   Jul 12, 2024
 768     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 694     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 302     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

I hate wall seats. When its rush hour you are forced to stare at ass and crotch and I would prefer to look out the window.

I used to hate the wall seats but in Seoul they're all wall seats and you're glad just to get a seat. So these days I don't much mind a TTC wall seat. If you take one right next to the door, you can plonk your head against the glass partition and snooze some.

To give the conversation a slightly more morbid turn, is there any practical benefit in having a skirt extending around and below the couplers when it comes to suicides? Obviously from a blunt-force trauma perspective, no kind of modification the the front of a train is going to significantly mitigate against death/injury to a jumper. What I'm curious about is, for lack of a more polite term, whether having some kind of cow-catcher functionality might prevent the individual from being dragged underneath the bogeys and provide benefits in terms of cleanup and restoring the line to functionality after an incident.

To give the conversation a slightly more morbid turn, is there any practical benefit in having a skirt extending around and below the couplers when it comes to suicides? Obviously from a blunt-force trauma perspective, no kind of modification the the front of a train is going to significantly mitigate against death/injury to a jumper. What I'm curious about is, for lack of a more polite term, whether having some kind of cow-catcher functionality might prevent the individual from being dragged underneath the bogeys and provide benefits in terms of cleanup and restoring the line to functionality after an incident.

no, not really I remember one time in Hong Kong someone got run over by a an SP 1900 series train and even though the train had a skirt all around the car body it didn't stop him from getting spliced in half by the wheel. Really it's just for looks. Anyways if we drop the skirt any lower the train would have to scrape the front of it to the tracks just to go up a minor grade.

Last edited:
Not sure how the skirt would do anything to protect someone... actually I would think it would do more bad, what if it pushed someone along the track? as opposed to the train just going over you like that woman who feel at spadina station and 3 cars went over her, but she suffered no injuries.

Personally I like the exposed trucks.

I dunno. Watch for subway preachers and trinket peddlers working the Toronto system in the near future.

You mean more than we already have? Right now they just move to the next car after each stop... I can't imagine we'll see a huge rush just cause it's easier to move in between cars.

No surprise - the TTC's going to authorize an additional order of 21 new TR trainsets to replace the H6 trains, and 10 new TRs for the Spadina extension... on top of the 39 train base order. The trains for the Spadina extension are *supposed* to be delivered in 2013... so presumably they'll have to find somewhere to store them for 2 years?

The average cost per 6-car set is about $11.4 M... not sure how much the original order was.

http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...0/May_6_2010/Reports/Purchase_31_Addition.pdf

The trains for the Spadina extension are *supposed* to be delivered in 2013... so presumably they'll have to find somewhere to store them for 2 years?
Won't the expansion at Wilson be ready long before 2013? Presumably they will simply put them all into service on the YUS line, and simply leave an extra dozen or so trainsets unused each day.

Nice and sensible decision. Wish they had gone a step further and got a couple more trainsets for the Sheppard line. But that can wait for a Sheppard West subway extension I suppose.

Nice and sensible decision. Wish they had gone a step further and got a couple more trainsets for the Sheppard line. But that can wait for a Sheppard West subway extension I suppose.
With all the T1 equipment allocated to BD and Sheppard, they have 372 cars for the two lines. Peak usage for the BD and Sheppard after the additional train is added in September is only 274 cars - a utilization rate of 73.7%. Current peak usage with the existing equipment is 562 of 678 cars - 82.9%.

If anything, there is a surplus of equipment available for the Sheppard line - at least once the TR cars arrive.

With all the T1 equipment allocated to BD and Sheppard, they have 372 cars for the two lines. Peak usage for the BD and Sheppard after the additional train is added in September is only 274 cars - a utilization rate of 73.7%. Current peak usage with the existing equipment is 562 of 678 cars - 82.9%.

Is that because of serviceability though, or because of a lack of demand?

I am not saying that demand on Sheppard warrants new subway trains. I just figure it might have made more sense to just have standard YUS trains on Sheppard.

Since the Sheppard line only uses 4 car trains the new TR can not be used up there. Besides Greenwood Carhouse is going to be responsible for the Sheppard line, they will only have T1 trains available to them so that means Sheppard is going to be using the T1 trains. We will be having plenty of room in the Wilson Complex, more tracks are being built.

Is that because of serviceability though, or because of a lack of demand?
Lack of demand. This was discussed extensively when the plan for the new TR cars came out a few months ago. The desire to have the YUS line use just TR cars results in a small surplus of T1 cars - a bit more than is really necessary for the BD and Sheppard lines.

I'm surprised they haven't added one or two more 4-car trains on Sheppard already - at least at peak.

This can be a plan to create a surplus of cars for any planned subway extensions, one would think Downtown Relief Line? They can't possibly be looking that far into the future though.

Back