News   May 03, 2024
 548     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 346     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 195     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

It's a brilliant scheme to kill off the subway, though. Obviously there's minuscule ridership if you don't go to Scarborough Town Centre, so it's a perfect way to say that a subway isn't justified.

And if proposed to stay on Sheppard past Markham or Morningside, it'll be a longer and more expensive line...both options result in no subway extension.

It's as if the people running this city want it to fail or for nothing to be accomplished so they can keep blaming Mike Harris.

I am far from an expert on Sheppard, but it seems to me that what's currently on the books--LRT from Don Mills east to SCC and beyond--is the worst possible option. Having a dumb transfer so folks can ride four stops to Yonge and then...transfer again, possibly only having to do so a third time at Finch if headed west, is insane. My vote is to either build out Sheppard as a subway, like it was intended, to SCC (and one day to Downsview) or, much as it pains me to say so, convert the whole damn thing to LRT. Either will be more expensive than what's proposed now, of course, but both would result in a real boost in network connectivity across the top of the city. The lesson of the Scarborough RT is that we shouldn't be building orphan lines, no matter what the reason. If the city is dogmatically opposed to a proper subway on Sheppard (which it shouldn't be, but alas), I would rather the whole thing be one technology.

In my perfect world, however, Sheppard and Eglinton are both full-length subways. connecting with a subway DRL at Jane and Don Mills. Lucky for me, I think that might be Metrolinx's perfect world also (with the caveat that they are talking about a subway on Queen, which would be...unwise).

I am far from an expert on Sheppard, but it seems to me that what's currently on the books--LRT from Don Mills east to SCC and beyond--is the worst possible option. Having a dumb transfer so folks can ride four stops to Yonge and then...transfer again, possibly only having to do so a third time at Finch if headed west, is insane.

If the Don Mills and Jane LRT were to be extended and joined as a Downtown Relief Line, I can see the Sheppard LRT going down Don Mills as a tripper service. The tripper would avoid the transfer at Don Mills and Sheppard as the tripper service itself would be continuing down.

I don't think the T1's are going anywhere any time soon. Usually trains are in service for at least 20 years.

I would have thought it would be mroe likely that the TRs would replace all the H series cars.

I think it looks great inside. I especially like the continuous open design, though I do hope they will be employing an advanced air filtration system in these trains. A continuous open space like that, when crowded to capacity, is a great breeding ground for bugs like the flu. Circulating the same stale air around among hundreds of people would totally suck.

Thanks for posting the link.

The mockup looks almost identical to the "K Stock" trains of Hong Kong's MTR, which is no surprise, since you might recall that the TTC was looking at the MTR for design concepts for the new train. Everything from the colour scheme, the designs and locations of the windows and poles, down to the electronic maps, look like they came straight off the MTR.

800px-MTR_Hong_Kong_K-Stock_train.JPG

The TTC's trains are pretty much off the shelf.

They are heavily based on the Bombardier MOVIA family of subway trains. Here's a comparison:

delhimetrohiresip8.jpg

1178568221big_TorontoRocket_EXT-HiRes.jpg

Aside from some styling cues, I'm skeptical of anyone who says the new cars are custom designs.

Now, if the new rocket comes full station length with 7 equal length cars, then it will become more custom design.

Moving poles, putting in smaller windows, flip up seats is not much different from existing T1's or off the shelf. Gangway is off the shelf.

Width adds some different.

the other thing was the map of the system.

wtf is that?

img_3765.jpg

That's how windows are in the Athens metro too. You can open a bit at the top to let air in, that's about it.. Used for ventilation mostly.

Back