News   May 03, 2024
 457     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 296     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 164     0 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

How are people that are standing in the center of the train supposed to remain upright with any handholds? Anyone who has ever been on the subway during rush hour knows that the trains are packed like sardines, therefore forcing people to stand there.
how do people do without the middle poles on the T1s?

If you are 6' plus and try to reach the pole over the head of someone smaller, your arm is going to fall short.

With the extra grab bar at the doors, it will encurage more door stoppers.

If you are short and in the centre, what do you hold onto?

The air vent is closer to the new light systems compare to the T1's.

Lighting is outside the adds and more toward the centre.

The flip seat will be an issues for pushing down by various ages. Seat as over built in the first place. Van Hool buses flip seats are better than this mock up.

The electronics map is too small to read for the YUS and needs to be located else where. Needs to be larger for the BD where it is. Visually impair have issues with it.

I noticed a few T1's that are missing a pole or 2 for the duel and triple seat. The screws are in the hole at the top and must be for testing to see if people notice the difference for seating.

I have no problems with standing in a moving train without any support. The trick for me is to lean my body towards the direction of acceleration or deceleration of the train. I picked it up off of some page in Transit Toronto about subway "dance" moves (what move is it called... "train surfing"?).

The bigger problem is not people standing in the middle, it's the idiots who block the doors. The new design doesn't seem to address that problem (though the wider T1 doors help versus the H5s and H6s). All the sight-blocking decals in the world doesn't change that. the new R series (which is what I'll call them versus the dumb "Toronto Rocket" name only a Mississauga suburbanite or a TTC staffer could like) don't seem to help, and I agree, I dislike the curved poles as they do look awkward especially for more than one person to hold.

The last time I was on the TTC, I did'nt think the trains needed replacing. Our trains still operate well although the costs of operating are probably escalating year over year.

The oldest subway cars the H-4 were built in 1975 and another batch H-5 were built circa 1976-1979. Those subway cars are harder to repair because of obsolete technology.

I have no problems with standing in a moving train without any support. The trick for me is to lean my body towards the direction of acceleration or deceleration of the train. I picked it up off of some page in Transit Toronto about subway "dance" moves (what move is it called... "train surfing"?).

that's exactly what i do. having to ride the train 2 times a day, you get to know all the little bumps and turns which you can antisipate. but for people who don't know it all too well or elderly people, they are the ones who have a problem keeping their balance.

coming back to the point about the maps, there's clearly not enough room for the YUS line. the diagonal stop names on the york extension are really bad and hard to read. i would definitely agree with 299 here and take a page out of the MTA book. those maps works really well when i first saw them last year in NYC.

lol bus surfing, now that is a bit more of a challenge :eek:

I don't do "train surfing" anymore because one slight accident brings immense embarrassment along with it...

I think the new design is pretty good..I don't really see how it's similar to the HK one except for the colors...But I agree that I dislike the curve poles, then again, it is a bit annoying when people cluster around the poles near the door and you're trying to get out..

Train surfing is also difficult when the train is so packed you don't have room to plant your feet where you'd like to (but it's never so packed that you can rest against other people without falling). Or if the train is full of winter coats, backpacks, 'luggage' briefcases, etc., that all jostle you. I find that surfing is also a bad idea when I'm carrying my trumpet.

So are these trains going to be in service in 2009, or will it be 2011.

More like late 2010 early 2011. The first 2 for late 2009, early 2010 are for testing before full production.

BT-3478-Toronto.JPG

Bombardier has their new TTC subway cars displayed on their website.

I think there is a seat for railfans at the front of the train.

Bombardier has their new TTC subway cars displayed on their website.

I think there is a seat for railfans at the front of the train.

Don't think so. The technical drawing shows a full width cab, and the artwork shows equipment panels on both sides of the cab.

From the technical drawing, I see a small possibility for a railfan window similar to the trains on the Scarborough RT. On SRT trains the cab doors are arranged so that operators have the option of allowing passengers access to the railfan window at either ends of the train. Usually the one in the front is not accessible, but the one in the back is. The technical drawing shows almost the same arrangement with the doors.

Back