Toronto 10 St Mary | 197.73m | 60s | Mattamy Homes | a—A

What a disappointment that the tower's massing has been dumbed down into just any other boxy tower. My interest in seeing this go up has pretty much evaporated.

Agreed. What has happened to a-A? It looks like another design recycled from 15 years ago.

Agreed. What has happened to a-A? It looks like another design recycled from 15 years ago.
That massing diagram isn't detailed enough to declare we know the final architectural gestures on the exterior, but it would be new site owners Mattamy Homes pushing for the simplified massing… and no matter what the exterior looks like (and it could still be a nice box) it's now just be a box, instead of several shifted ones, which to me made it inherently cooler, as we have few of those in the city, and none with as many shifts as had been planned here.

It's really surprising to see how little growth and development there has been in term's of aA's designs over the past decade. They used to be considered the most sophisticated firm in the city when it came to condo design.
What is "growth and development"? It's real estate.

What is "growth and development"? It's real estate.
Yes, it’s real estate, but that shouldn’t excuse lazy designs and the overuse of cheap materials. Look at the condo towers going up in other comparably sized cities; the use of curtain wall is much more prevalent. a-A, to their credit, use curtain wall much more often than most other firms in this city. I think their towers at The Well are a good example of this. This is a 60 storey tower in the centre of, arguably, the most important city in the country. Let’s hope they don’t just ‘take the money and run’.

Yes, it’s real estate, but that shouldn’t excuse lazy designs and the overuse of cheap materials. Look at the condo towers going up in other comparably sized cities; the use of curtain wall is much more prevalent. a-A, to their credit, use curtain wall much more often than most other firms in this city. I think their towers at The Well are a good example of this. This is a 60 storey tower in the centre of, arguably, the most important city in the country. Let’s hope they don’t just ‘take the money and run’.
Who is "they"? What does "take the money and run" mean? I don't disagree with what you're saying, but it's not up to them. It's up to Mattamy. Folks should really make sure they understand who calls the shots on buildings like this one.

Who is "they"? What does "take the money and run" mean? I don't disagree with what you're saying, but it's not up to them. It's up to Mattamy. Folks should really make sure they understand who calls the shots on buildings like this one.
Of course I understand that. But are you saying that architecture firms just have to accept that they are building in Toronto and many Toronto developers love bland designs with many insisting on cheap grey spandrel and window wall? No push back? By the way, I’m not saying this tower will necessarily be done with cheap materials, but this is a 60 storey building. One would think that in 2023 we wouldn’t be getting what appears to be just another recycled design. I had just hoped for more from the developer and a_A.

Last edited:

Back