Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

I agree, eLLeven or whatever its called is very good, I've been several times. Also the new spot inside Telus which opened last week; but these are really much closer to Air Canada than Skydome.

^^ Nice photo Jasonzed. I drove past the site today and later thought I must've miscounted, but I now see that I wasn't
imagining things: There is a fourth crane up in this pit.

Hey guys, really sorry about this because I'm sure this is buried somewhere in the 120 pages:

I was walking through this area last night, this has such great potential, it was fairly busy even with no game / show anything on ... there's a new restaurant in the Telus building which looks great.

Here's my question though, is there any retail planned for the 'Ice' towers ? I think it'll be really unfortunate if the answer is no. It may not be terrible if they plan to have a lot of retail in base of the office building to be built.

Hey guys, really sorry about this because I'm sure this is buried somewhere in the 120 pages:

I was walking through this area last night, this has such great potential, it was fairly busy even with no game / show anything on ... there's a new restaurant in the Telus building which looks great.

Here's my question though, is there any retail planned for the 'Ice' towers ? I think it'll be really unfortunate if the answer is no. It may not be terrible if they plan to have a lot of retail in base of the office building to be built.

As far as I can recall there will be multiple retail spaces included in the phases that are currently under construction. Bland architecture aside, the mixed uses in this area are shaping up very nicely.

There isn't going to be a mall at the ICE project but there should be more stores than Maple Leaf Square.
I always wonder why clothing / electronics / specialty stores are not being opened in this area. There is so much built-in population.

There isn't going to be a mall at the ICE project but there should be more stores than Maple Leaf Square.
I always wonder why clothing / electronics / specialty stores are not being opened in this area. There is so much built-in population.

Union Station retail concourse + hopefully Southcore will help address this.

Honestly this is fine! I'm not sure why but I was under the impression there would be no retail at all in any of the ICE buildings (less maybe the office tower which isn't under construction yet) I say this based on the renderings.

I'd rather have some spots fronting the street. Yea there will be a big mall in Union not sure how well that'll do anyway.

Some more interesting and unique restaurants are needed too. After going to the Jays' game last Tuesday, I realized how pathetically devoid of restaurants the area is. The only option nearby is St. Louis Bar & Grill, and there's not much else along Bremner either. I know the area caters to a lot of people coming from out of town, meaning more recognizable chains are likely, but you'd think the whole area would be covered in restaurants. Hopefully this will improve with time.

There's a Shoeless Joe's on QQ at Rees, and all of the chains on Front St. Quite a few options, really. The issue is that it seems like there's nothing nearby because there the Tower, Roundhouse Park and the Convention Centre right next door. So the Dome seems a bit isolated. And, when you compare it to somewhere like Fenway park or Wrigley Field both of which have a plethora of bars which add to the baseball experience, the distance between the Dome and any pre/after game options seems limited.

This is the backward thinking of most retail chains these days. They have not yet caught up to the idea that more people are moving INTO the core than ever in Toronto's history. The rest of North America may still be designing for the suburbanite that owns 3 cars and shops in ex-farmland-turned tract malls, but Toronto is a unique situation.

Companies are still working the business model of 25 years ago, when big box retail discovered the suburbs. They put all their money into designing car friendly giant warehouse-sized outlet stores and there is only the smaller or independent or high-end retailer who opens shop downtown.

So the irony here is all these people who are moving downtown for the convenience and to break their hold on their car and high gas prices, still have to own a car and drive out to the suburbs to do major shopping. When will these new developments catch up and actually build shopping districts along with the condos?

I was hoping areas like the Cityplace, Liberty village or the newer West Donlands would be designed with commercial streets, movie theaters, grocery stores and libraries, but of course it turns out to be condo after condo jammed together. No wonder these planned communities lack LIFE.

from sat
20110423124.jpg

20110423126.jpg

20110423127.jpg

Post are being installed around the sale office to support more hording and more digging today.

Back