Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

Ok, must chime in with my two cents. Transient is hardly a word I would use to describe the downtown population, particularly the South Core. Unless renting, I would think most who invest in a unit would stay for many years, at least until their unit has gone up in price enough to make a sensible profit. As for density, it's what gives a neighbourhood it's character, it's vibe, it's atmosphere, and that a good thing, but not for everyone. Besides, people aren't living on the street, they live in their condos. If crowds brother someone, then why on earth would they choose to live in the heart of downtown? As a few of you know, I live in St James town, in 77 Howard Street (the "Toronto" as it's called) in Rosedale (yes, I know, it's not the grand mansions one envisions when thinking of Rosedale, but it's part of it). No, it's not as scary as most think, we face north, overlooking everything north of Bloor, with a completely unobstructed view of the city (on the 20th floor). I am going somewhere with this. When it was built, up until now, I believe it still holds the title of the most densely populated neighbourhood in North America, with 19 buildings and over 17000 people crammed into a few blocks. When first constructed, it was urban planning gone horribly wrong. The units were billed as the most modern of the time, yet was a total failure. The only thing in it's favour was the subway, but beyond that, there were no grocery stores, malls, not even a gas station, nothing that was of any convenience for the residents. Within a few short years over half the units remained unoccupied, until some were eventually sold off to the city for public housing, and the rest sold to private owners for market value (got most of this information from my buildings owners, who also own 260 and 280 Wellesley). It's was a sad, slow decline of what was suppose to be an urban dream, that, in the end, turned into somewhat of a nightmare. They've since invested millions to attract new tenants, and for the most part, is much better off now then it was 30 years ago.

With all that said, when referring to the new South Core buildings, I just can't see what happened here happen there. The location can't be beat if you work downtown, there is adequate shopping for all, and it's close to pretty much everything one could want, density just comes with the territory. If properly maintained, I can see it getting only better as time passes, and is not as bad as everyone seems to think, and is no where near the disaster that was my area when it was first built. That's just my humble opinion, and by the way, although I live with 17000 people in a few blocks, it's surprisingly quiet, and have never felt crammed. One thing most tend to forget when looking at the numbers, not all 17000 people leave their house at the same time. I go down to the garage, hop in my car, and drive away with no so much as a few cars in front of me. In the five years I've lived here, I've never had a problem, and despite the exterior, it's actually a decent building, and where else can you get a 1100 Sq ft 2 BR, with parking and hydro included for only $1205/month?

I live in St James town, in 77 Howard Street (the "Toronto" as it's called) in Rosedale (yes, I know, it's not the grand mansions one envisions when thinking of Rosedale, but it's part of it).

According to this neighbourhood map, Rosedale's southern border is Bloor. I don't think I have ever heard St. James Town included as part of Rosedale, but neighbourhood borders can be foggy.

Rosedale_map.PNG

The southern boundary of Rosedale is the deep ravine which contains the Rosedale Valley Rd. It is a clear geographical and, for that matter, socio-economic marker.

Oh sure, burst my bubble! I researched it, and you're absolutely right, no matter, once I finish my surgeries (yeah, sorry to say cancer came back again, then I can finally return to work, hopefully by the fall) and I'm back to a regular pay cheque, there's a beautiful condo in the heart of Rosedale (just next to the trail leading to the brick works) we're moving to (it's owned by a friend who has decided to rent it out, and will actually wait until I'm ready), so ill actually be able to say I live in Rosedale. I'm not being a snob, at all, I've just always loved that neighbourhood, since I was a kid. From an architectural view point, the homes are simply amazing, and the streets are well treed (I hate the look of new developments with zero vegitation and cookie cutter homes). Ok, back to the topic at hand. Do you remember a few months ago I told you when I brought the workers on the Ãce condos a few boxes of coffee to warm them up? Well, I bumped into the guy I gave it to when walking past it last week. He says something on his radio, I look up, and a few dozen workers on the top floor are waving at me to say thanks. He even offered to take me up, but I was late for an appointment dammit! Would have loved to see it from the top, the views must be absolutely amazing. One of the guys even claimed that on a clear day, they (the construction workers) can see Niagara Falls, wonder if he's pulling my leg?

Be nice to Rosedale (I'm being serious). It actually represents a livable neighborhood that yes, has some crazy expensive houses, but there are no gates or long drive ways, shunning the inclusion with the city (unlike the Bridal Path for example). There are somewhat more modest homes, apartments (albeit expensive) and some connection to the city. A bit like Cabbagetown, it represents much of what makes Toronto work. If you want Chicago and the Highland Park, then go for it, but I personally am thrilled that Rosedale fits so well. Sure you can walk from Rosedale, to St James town, to Cabbagetown, to Moss Park through Dundas and Sherborne, yet it never feels like San Francisco and the jarring differences between the Tenderloin, market and Pacific Heights.

South core will hopefully find it's way an blend nicely with the reworked harborfront and east bay into something very cohesive and workable. Ice towers will certainly remain great examples of what should be there.

but there are no gates or long drive ways, shunning the inclusion with the city (unlike the Bridal Path for example).

Also incorrect.

Here is a gate with a long driveway across the street.

Then there are long curved driveways with large hedges, so you can get out of your car in privacy.

Rosedale is among Toronto's most beautiful neighbourhoods - but it isn't as inclusive and connected to the city as you make it out to be. In fact it is geographically isolated and the economic divide between it and St. James Town to the south is massive.

This is all getting a bit too far off topic, and as much as I love exploring neighourhoods on Google Maps, it is time to get back to the thread topic!

thanks for the updates. I use to think that it is steel but through your photos it came in my knowledge that it is glass.

thanks for the updates. I use to think that it is steel but through your photos it came in my knowledge that it is glass.

Yes, it is indeed glass, with a slightly more silvery colour than the glass on the residential levels. It's looking sharp!

Back