Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

There are things I like about the towers (the gentle curves) and things I don't (the roof canopy-things and the awkward proportions the mid-height cladding transition makes) but right now I think the most interesting thing about this project is the large outdoor courtyard at ground level. It's turning into a really nicely proportioned space, with an interesting enclosure. From today:

IMG_20140317_141736_sm.jpg
IMG_20140317_141808_sm.jpg
IMG_20140317_141820_sm.jpg

I hope the cladding and eventual traffic don't hide too much of the beautiful openness that the courtyard now exhibits. This has the potential to be a very unique and excellent space.

Attachments

• IMG_20140317_141736_sm.jpg
    IMG_20140317_141736_sm.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,102
  • IMG_20140317_141808_sm.jpg
    IMG_20140317_141808_sm.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,099
  • IMG_20140317_141820_sm.jpg
    IMG_20140317_141820_sm.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,101
Nice photos everyone. Here's one more quick shot..(No, I wasn't driving) :)

2014-03-17 Toronto  Buildings Ice.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-03-17 Toronto  Buildings Ice.jpg
    2014-03-17 Toronto Buildings Ice.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,242
Last edited:
this will be one cool area, very soon.

Everyone here keeps repeating this year after year about Southcore, and as a resident of the area, let me tell you that the street life has not improved.

Sticking one-storey retail at the bottom of each development and providing wide sidewalks does not a good neighbourhood make.

Last edited:
Everyone here keeps repeating this year after year about Southcore, and as a resident of the area, let me tell you that the street life has not improved.

Sticking one-storey retail at the bottom of each development and providing wide sidewalks does not a good neighbourhood make.

I don't agree, but not in the sense you think ... south core will never rival traditional Toronto walking neighborhoods; Its more of a destination area, check it out on a game day (for any sport), that's essentially what it amounts too. I'm not saying this is good or bad, but it'll never be more or less then just this.

I don't agree, but not in the sense you think ... south core will never rival traditional Toronto walking neighborhoods; Its more of a destination area, check it out on a game day (for any sport), that's essentially what it amounts too. I'm not saying this is good or bad, but it'll never be more or less then just this.

Yeah, that raises interesting questions about how we're neighborhood building now. Sure, one can argue that South Core isn't a 'neighborhood' in the traditional sense, since as you remark it's mostly a destination. But there will be/around thousands of people living there, they're neighbors, and that seems to amount to something like a neighborhood.

So the question is why today we seem to have a problem smoothly combining lively retail and high rise living. Perhaps it's the cost of renting at ground level; but still, you'd think that if street level vitality were a major concern this'd be taken care of.

I think there are examples of successful new communities / neighborhoods, there are many condos downtown that do a great job at ground floor retail.

That's not the issue here, rather simply the built form is particularly suited toward destination retail ! The retail spots are huge but sparse, think of the grocery store / target / large restaurants. Moreover, there is no 'main street' per say, a lot of the retail is enclosed. To add to that a lot of the office space doesn't really have any ground floor retail, rather berried somewhere inside the buildings.

For all the grief the infinity towers get, I find they do a good job with retail, the entire base is full of retail of varying sizes.

Back