Toronto Ïce Condominiums at York Centre | 234.07m | 67s | Lanterra | a—A

Hoping not to offend anyone here but the problem with tenants is they destroy the unit they are renting and most unit owners are not real landlords so issues never get repaired or resolved. Buildings that start out as 20 to 25% rental will soon become majority rental since the units are not maintained and the building begins to deteriorate. That’s the biggest fear with this condo craze we are experiencing - most of the people living in them will be tenants with no equity stake in the long term life of the unit/building and we end up with another St. Jamestown.

Cranes everywhere

There was a point 6 years ago, where I read somewhere on a Dubai forum that 1/5, or even 1/4 cranes in the world was in Dubai, probably hard to substantiate,..... however there has got to be an insane number of cranes in TO right now.... taking into account, projects still below grade....anywhere you look in the downtown area ....Cranes. With Ice, Aura and L all surfacing, (3 a peice?) that numbers only gonna increase.
Between Yorkville area, College Park area, CBD, west King and Southcore/Cityplace area its truly amazing. :confused:

Most cities are in a boom with a crane or two on the skyline, here you cant find a pic without saying "well when these four/five towers get done this will look different!

A Challenge??!! To anyone with pics or a camera....how many cranes can you capture in one shot?????

^ Simple answer on construction activity - according to Urbanation there are currently 34,548 units under construction in the Toronto CMA in 132 projects.

And here is my crane photo (17 cranes in there):

4576786392_6aa60e3081_b.jpg

Last edited:
^ Simple answer - according to Urbanation there are currently 34,548 units under construction in the Toronto CMA in 132 projects.

Okay 132 projects X 2 or three cranes per site?? Does Ice count as 1 project or two??? All the multi tower projects out there are those all classified as separate projects..?? You see, its pretty amazing....500 Cranes/??

And here is my crane photo (17 cranes in there):

4576786392_6aa60e3081_b.jpg

Great pic.... remember this from last summer....This has to be a loud city right now. I mean a simple walk from the lake uptown, or even a cab ride in spring, ... must be hammers, and piles, and bangs and horns and etc....around every corner, plus the way stuff can echo off buildings your getting L tower at City hall, the Uptown at Dundas, the bang of U condos over in West King etc.... (ok I'm exagerating a little there? but it can be hard to place a sound source in urban built up areas)

Last edited by a moderator:
A Challenge??!! To anyone with pics or a camera....how many cranes can you capture in one shot?????

I've never taken this shot, but I work at the top of 555 Richmond (Queen and Bathurst) where there is a south-facing window. 180-degree view of the lake and a forest of cranes. I believe the number of cranes is going down, but in the past it was quite a sight to behold.

nice photos, and i know people refer to these as "bath tubs", but this REALLY DOES look like a bath tub! (or swimming pool, however you want to state it. the shape of it).
reminds me of the MLS hole.
imagine if we got all these projects started up at once?! (on all four corners of bremner/york!), those streets would basically be bridges crossing the grand canyon!

Back