News   May 16, 2024
 133     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 467     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 759     0 

Top 10 High-rises built this decade

1. Absolute World
2. 60 Richmond St E. (only 11 floors but I had to include it)
3. 18 Yorkville
4. Quantum (N & S)
5. 155 Cumberland
6. Ritz Carleton
7. 1 St. Thomas
8. RBC
9. The Met
10. Lumiere

Start a "best of the decade" mid-rise thread! I've got a list ready, but I can't narrow it down to 10. It was a great decade for mid-rises (excluding a whack of brilliant conversions).

Too bad for you this thread is about which high-rises in Toronto a given person likes, and not which high-rises on other people's lists you dislike.

I see no reason why not to discuss this topic. Uptown has too much monotonous precast and a boring top. It looks like very uninspired Art Deco. No developer should be encouraged to build such poorly detailed buildings.

Start a "best of the decade" mid-rise thread! I've got a list ready, but I can't narrow it down to 10. It was a great decade for mid-rises (excluding a whack of brilliant conversions).

That's a hard one because they don't stand out as much as high-rises and, to be honest, I don't recall very many actual names of mid-rises--I know a lot of them have "lofts" in the title. Also, what defines a mid rise? Is there an official height or # of floors?

Ok I'll play:

1. Absolute
2. One St. Thomas
3. 18 Yorkville
4. One King West
5. Ritz Carlton
6. Radio City
7. Festival Tower
8. Lumiere
9. Casa
10. Uptown

As for Uptown, I think the massing/setbacks are great and in that sense it can almost do no wrong in terms of cladding. That being said I think the right cladding would have put it over the top and its unfortunate that the details weren't executed better.
Honourable mention to The Met, Casa and Telus

I don't know exactly what criteria are the right ones, but for me it isn't just a question of which buildings look good on paper or in photos. For me it's a question of the impact the development has had on the surrounding area.

1. Bay-Adelaide
2. Telus
3. RBC Centre
4. 2 Queen East (one of the better facadectomies, and good street integration)
5. Maple Leaf Square
6. Uptown (standing at the NE corner of Yonge/Bloor the cladding doesn't register but the massing sure does)
7. The Met (the before/after impact on Carlton is astounding)
8. Radio City
9. Pantages
10. Quantum I/II

I'd also give honourable mentions to 5000 Yonge, Murano, Lumiere, X, One St. Thomas, 10 Bellair, and Casa/BSN (with a slight edge to BSN, to be honest).

I love how this thread's about high-rises in the "GTA" ... so that we can describe the City of Mississauga's wonderful Absolute tower as Torontonian. It reminds me of how, when Ben Johnson first won his gold medal, he suddenly became Canadian rather than Jamaican.

1. Absolute (Absolutely amazing; there are really no words to adequately describe)
2. Radio City (Good in its own right, complements the amazing National Ballet School)
3. 18 Yorkville
4. Maple Leaf Square (Great complement to the ACC, brings new life to the area south of the RR tracks)
5. Festival Tower / Lightbox (Good design, but chosen more for its cultural importance. Probably does more than any other building to put Toronto on the map.)
6. Bay Adelaide
7. RBC Dexia
8. X (classic, almost retro, feeling)
9. Ritz Carlton (they took a bit of a chance on this, which is unusual in Toronto)
10. CCBR Building (Donelly Centre) at U of T.

Honorable mention: Republic at Yonge / Eglinton (not so much for the aesthetics of the two buildings, but for the very innovative mixed land use)

Not really qualified as an honorable mention, but would be if it had started construction: the conversion of the former Imperial Oil building.

1. Minto Midtown
2. Ritz Carlton
3. 1 St. Thomas
4. Spire
5. Casa
6. Uptown
7. X
8. One Bedford
9. The Hudson (sort of a high rise for the area - at least at the time)
10. Morgan (Ditto. This thing draws your eye upward, which is more than can be said for the fridge-like RBC Dexia)

None of the office towers we built would even make it onto my top 20.

1. CASA
2. One St. Thomas
3. Ritz-Carlton
4. Uptown
5. Radio City
6. Absolute
7. X
8. Festival Tower/Lightbox
9. Lumiere
10. One King West

Nothing in the skyline beats the simplicity and elegance of aA's CASA with its distinctive "hat" lit up at night, and shimmering vitrine at ground level on Charles Street East.

^No, not even Telus. All of our new office towers are boxy, unoriginal and clad with the same reflective blue glass. The need for large floorplates basically makes them all fat and wide with none of the soaring verticality that skyscrapers should possess.

1. X
2. Murano
3. One St Thomas
4. CCBR
5. Morgan
6. Spire
7. Dia
8. Hudson
9. MoZo
10. Executive Learning Centre

Back