News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 420     0 

The Weather

Don't forget that the temperatures mentioned on the radio, TV, and other media are SHADE temperatures, recorded 1 metre above the ground in an open area.

Temperatures in the shade and in the sun are no different. Air temperature is what has always been measured.

From the Star:

Why it may be hotter than you think (and when it might end)

As it turns out, our complaints about the heat do have some merit.

David Phillips, senior climatologist at Environment Canada, said that temperatures reported on forecasts are actually measured in the shade. This means, depending on the intensity of the sun, you may be feeling an extra 6 to 8C if you happen to be walking on the sunny side of the street.

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that with this math, the 44C the humidex hit on Monday would have felt more like 50C if you were strolling down Yonge Street with the sun blazing down on you, said Phillips.

He explained that the measurement is taken in the shade because if the sun were shining on the thermometer and a cloud comes over the area, the temperature shown would drop by about 8 degrees, then up by 7 again after the cloud passes. Since, temperatures reported would go up and down like a yo-yo, “homogeneous, uniformed kind of conditionsâ€â€”in the shaded, well-ventilated box—are needed for a thermometer.

The public is thus advised to remain in the air-conditioned indoors or at least shaded spaces to avoid the extra heat stress to the body during what is expected to be a 5- to 6-day heat wave.

Though the weather may be unbearable to many, and we’re just in the middle of it, relief is in sight.

The rain forecast on Friday is expected to herald in a “glorious†weekend of dryer, cooler weather with 28C highs and 17C lows.

In any case, Torontonians are known for complaining about the weather, and the topic dominates water-cooler talk around the city. Phillips said that last year’s cooler summer temperatures delighted some older folks but became a “bummer of a summer†for the younger generation who had plans for camping and patio parties.

“This summer is making up for that part of the population that felt cheated the last two,†he said. “[It] will be kind of a good old-fashioned summer, one where our parents and teachers told us to expect.â€

This summer should turn out to be hotter than normal, and similar heat waves are likely to hit the city throughout the upcoming months. However, future bouts should have less of a health impact because Torontonians should fare better as they will be used to it and know which cool places to seek out, he said.

“Just like how the first day of snow in the winter brings chaos on the roads, but by February we are all veterans since we’ve found where the snow tires are.â€

Hope the mention of snow cooled you down a little.

--Joanne Wong

Mad, both of you. It's absolutely miserable. Nothing I can't stand more than being too hot to sleep.

I guess it's "good" if you're someone who lives in an air conditioned place, who doesn't need to work outside... so you can just step outside for a few minutes to enjoy an ice cream, and then run back into your 19 degrees home once you start sweating... hmm, I think I'll try that out this evening :)

Last night had to be a record for overnight temperature. It was 40C humidex at midnight!

Skeptical about claims of a 40C humidex at midnight? You might come to feel that way after reading this opinion concerning wind chill and humidex.

Interesting that according to the Heat Index scale used in the U.S., no temperature below 30C produces a heat index value of 40 or higher.

The scale is very imprecise, doesn't show 29.9C for example. Only 30C or 29C, nothing in-between.
If you really want that much detail, there's a box in that heat index site where you can fill in the temperature and humidity (or dew point), and check here to figure out precise humidex calculations.

Skeptical about claims of a 40C humidex at midnight? You might come to feel that way after reading this opinion concerning wind chill and humidex.

Interesting that according to the Heat Index scale used in the U.S., no temperature below 30C produces a heat index value of 40 or higher.

The article just says humidex should not be considered a science. That's fine but it still means something to me. I was out at midnight that night, and it was certainly not a regular 28C evening.

Not a regular 28C evening? I'd say it was typically regular for that kind of a temperature at that time of day. If there was ever a day in Toronto where the temperature was at or close to 28C at midnight and it didn't "feel like that", it's news to me.

Not a regular 28C evening? I'd say it was typically regular for that kind of a temperature at that time of day. If there was ever a day in Toronto where the temperature was at or close to 28C at midnight and it didn't "feel like that", it's news to me.

There was a huge difference in humidity compared from 4 July evening to 5 July evening, despite that the temperatures were about the same.

The humidex absolutely has an influence on me, it means the difference between wearing a sweater or a t-shirt, and I am thankful to have access to such information.

There was a huge difference in humidity compared from 4 July evening to 5 July evening, despite that the temperatures were about the same.
A huge difference? As in 30%?? More???

July 4:
Dew Point 14 °C
Average Humidity 72
Maximum Humidity 88
Minimum Humidity 53

July 5:
Dew Point 18 °C
Average Humidity 78
Maximum Humidity 89
Minimum Humidity 58

6% is a difference, but hardly huge. The much bigger difference was the temperature. June 5 was three degrees warmer (mean temperature of 22) than the previous day (19). June 6 was another two degrees warmer. June 7 was one degree warmer, as was June 8.

But why even bring up July 4? It's outside of the heatwave period. I thought we were comparing the last 3 or so days, when each day was pretty much indistinguishable. They all felt the same to me. I can't remember Toronto ever being anywhere close to "Arizona dry" when the temperature hit 32C/90F.

Back