News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

The Weather

I had a four day weekend and enjoyed every minute spent in the garden - splitting and moving perennials and rhubarb, pruning dead wood from roses and raspberry canes, bundling up dead leaves ... and sitting out for afternoon teas. The two fragrant honeysuckles I grew from cuttings taken from a garden on Logan Avenue, which rooted a couple of years ago, are now well established climbers.

How awesome has the weather been lately? I love it. Although now it's going to cool down for a bit :( Still lots of sun though I believe in the forecast.

Good gardening weather on Sunday - I've got two more blackcurrants to go in. I wish the city would collect garden waste every week though.

I think I'm developing an allergy to all this pollen or whatever it is. A bad year for it, apparently.

It's a horrid year for pollen ... I started using eye-drops a few weeks ago ... and I haven't used any in over 15 years. On the bright side, the allergies seem to make me cough a lot ... easier to get a seat for myself on the bus.

Not sure what forecast people here are looking at. Tomorrow looks dreadful, wind gusts up to 80 km/hr, cold and rain. Plus frost warning on Sunday and Monday nights. Perhaps I erred planting my tomatoes last weekend.

And I just turned the furnace back on!

The rain is welcomed and much needed, the frost is not. Get those tomato plants indoors or you may lose them.
I've been seeing variety stores everywhere with their plants & wares out front for several weeks now but I stick to my guns and always wait until mid-May before I start planting, despite the overwhelming urge to do otherwise.

Get those tomato plants indoors or you may lose them.
I might have to ... though the forecast now doesn't go below 1 degree Monday night ... and south of Danforth is normally a bit less frost-prone. Last year, I simply dropped a blanket over them one cold night (in late May!). I wonder how cold it would get for that to work ...

I don't know a lot about gardening, but you could just cover them for the night I think. I think you'd be safe not to though. There won't be any frost.

Looks like it's holding at about 3 degrees ... 2 near the airport ... but perhaps frost north of Highway 7.

Forecast is slightly cooler the next 2 nights ... have to keep a close eye on it. But then surely were safe.

City of Toronto
10:44 AM EDT Sunday 09 May 2010
Frost warning for
City of Toronto issued

Extensive frost tonight.

This is a warning that at or near zero ground temperatures will cause frost in the parts of these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

Clear skies and light winds tonight will combine to allow temperatures to fall below the freezing mark overnight. The combination of freezing temperatures and light winds will produce widespread frost.

Note that while the City of Toronto is included in the frost warning..Frost is most likely in the suburbs.

Frost is likely to form again early Tuesday morning from the Golden Horseshoe to Ottawa.

From the Weather Network:

Clear skies and light winds tonight will combine to allow temperatures to fall below the freezing mark overnight. The combination of freezing temperatures and light winds will produce widespread frost. Note that while the City of Toronto is included in the frost warning..Frost is most likely in the suburbs. Frost is likely to form again early Tuesday morning from the Golden Horseshoe to Ottawa.

Hope my orange and grapefruit trees will survive.

:D

Last edited:
How about those insane winds yesterday (Saturday)? I was heading up to Keswick to see my Mom for Mother's Day & had to turn around on Hwy. 7 & come home, I could barely keep the car on the road from the super intense wind gusts north of Sheppard - I've never had to do that before. I get home & call my mom and she tells me it was snowing up there! On the way home I encountered a fallen tree in the right southbound lane of the DVP and parts of trees down in the back yard of my building. Crazy stuff.

From my iPhone

photo.jpg

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Trees (and signs and whatnot) were down everywhere in the Niagara Region. Quite a bit particularly along the Escarpment near Brock in St Catharines.

Buffalo got it bad too. My Dad didn't have power as of midnight last night in Cheektowaga.

Back