News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 396     0 

The Weather

I agree. Cold winters are depressing without snow. I want a blizzard!
I also feel warmer if there's snow on the ground. Dunno if anyone else gets that feeling.

I'd either be happy with either a two day blizzard, or just to go straight to spring like it looked like in January. This is like a depressing seasonal purgatory that we're in now.

Ya, the weather pattern has been very stagnant, and unchanging. It would be nice to get a mild few days too. We're already halfway through February, and then it really will start to warm up in March.

I'm so happy there is no snow on the ground.

It doesn't feel any colder in spite of a lack of the white stuff.

I also feel warmer if there's snow on the ground. Dunno if anyone else gets that feeling.

I'd either be happy with either a two day blizzard, or just to go straight to spring like it looked like in January. This is like a depressing seasonal purgatory that we're in now.

I get that warmer feeling if there's a substantial amount of snow on the ground too. What is that, is it psychological? My mood is also better after a good snow storm and when there's plenty of fresh snow on the ground.
I'd like a good blizzard or two before the end of March. Full disclosure, I don't drive, I don't have to shovel the stuff and I have a Lab who loves snow.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Just looking at these pictures for a few minutes lifts my mood a bit

I get that warmer feeling if there's a substantial amount of snow on the ground too. What is that, is it psychological?

I tihnk it's because the snow is whiter than the what it covers, and whiter than grey skies also. The snow just makes everything brighter. Also covering the dead grass and tree is nice.

Strange, I didn't feel tonight's coolness bitter or anything. Just "normal"; maybe even a relief from the freak temperateness...

I got a bit of sun on my face from walking the dog for a few hours a day last week, bring it on!

The gardens are very early this year - small bulbs are already flowering on the sunny uplands of Riverdale. My poppies are coming along nicely too.

I've seen Tulips popping up all over the place, some perhaps 4" in height, buds are coming out on some trees and grass in areas with lots of sun has turned from brown to a shade of green.

Ya, even the lilac bushes near my house have buds coming out already. I've never seen that happen this early before.

February and March 2010: Months for the Weather Record Books...

Everyone: The months of February 2010 and March 2010 are going to go down in Weather history in the Northeastern USA-February for being the snowiest on record for cities like Philadelphia and March for the rainiest on record for cities like NYC-Central Park which set a all-time March monthly record with the 3/29 and 3/30 storm: 10.65 inches of rain passing 10.50 inches in March 1983.

The Northeastern US had record rains out of this last storm - my area(Islip,LI) got 4.85 inches of rain for a monthly total of more then 9 inches. As some know eastern Connecticut,all of Rhode Island and eastern Massachusetts were hit the hardest by this storm-Providence,RI got over 8 inches of rain-and Boston had its second rainiest month ever with over 14 inches of rain. Boston's top 5 rainiest months until this one all had a tropical storm system involved - this was mentioned as being unprecedented in weather history.

It amazes me that in consecutive months that record snowfall can be followed by record rains of this type - it is obvious remembering last year's storm tracks that protected the Northeastern US but produced large storms in the Eastern Midwest and Southern Ontario that there has been a major shift in these storm tracks...

If the March rains had been cold enough for snow we would have measured accumulation by the foot - one inch of rain equals about 10 inches or so of snow.

As I type this it looks like a decent stretch of weather is heading into the waterlogged Northeastern US allowing hopefully a long drying-out period that we can definitely use...

Insight and thoughts from LI MIKE

Last edited:
Garden blooming!

This crazy (but good) warm and sunny weather is moving gardens and trees ahead by nearly a month. I saw the first garden in bloom today, about one month ahead of time at 46 Wellesley East - the building just east of Paul Kane Park. There are yellow daffodils, blue plants & red tulips or something. You have to sort of squint to see them, but they're there!

Rain next week which sucks, but temperatures will remain in the double digits.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Back