1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 378     0 

The Toronto Teaser!

Back on topic: where are we?

DSC00022.jpg

Oh yeah, that's that long condo complex off Heath/Tichester that overlooks the ravine N of the N entrance to St Clair West station. Cinched that one

I always thought that was the ugliest church in Toronto. It's always a bad move to mix Byzantine Orthodox architecture with PoMo and call it all Catholic.

Except that it was built in, I'd say, the 60s/70s--i.e. long before PoMo. It's more like a suburban big sibling to St Josaphat off Dupont (pictured earlier in this thread)--and as such, might be more comparable to the neo-expressionism of Quebec's "Quiet Revolution" modern Catholic churches by D'Astous, et al. (Or New City Hall, or Uno Prii's apartments, etc.)

Now, if it were a quarter century newer, it might have wound up full-bore faux Byzantine bathos, so be glad it had whatever "contemporary" pretensions...

Except that it was built in, I'd say, the 60s/70s--i.e. long before PoMo. It's more like a suburban big sibling to St Josaphat off Dupont (pictured earlier in this thread)--and as such, might be more comparable to the neo-expressionism of Quebec's "Quiet Revolution" modern Catholic churches by D'Astous, et al. (Or New City Hall, or Uno Prii's apartments, etc.)

Now, if it were a quarter century newer, it might have wound up full-bore faux Byzantine bathos, so be glad it had whatever "contemporary" pretensions...

It's that old? Wow, I never would have guessed...

I never before saw a Catholic church (even being Ukrainian Catholic - therefore not 'truly' Catholic) look like such a hack job at an Orthodox church; complete with the turret domes..

Since I myself am stumped about the purpose of this structure, I'm gonna post it here. Where/what/why?

DSC00208.jpg

Okay, know one seems to know ... tell us!

I'm very curious ... it's not west on Lawrence near Bathurst or somewhere in that ruff area?

Back