News   Jul 29, 2024
 188     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 93     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 486     0 

"The thing about guns is they show no mercy," David Miller

It is totally hypocritical to say that you want to get tough on the criminals who use the handguns, while just throwing your hands in the air towards the group of criminals that actually put the guns into peoples hands.

Why not propose that anyone that is caught trying to smuggles guns into Canada will be charged and face a minimum 20 year sentence? Why not try to develop better screening equipment at the border? People spends insane amounts of money developing lots of useless gadgets so I am sure the same effort applied to a practical problem is likely to yield some results. Why not be more vigilant and search more vehicles? If the problem really is the border, then deal with the border instead of ignoring it.

Maybe you could clarify: by deporting are you suggesting that a person who commits a murder in Canada be allowed to go free in another country?

Once someone is a Canadian citizen it is unconstitutional to try them by different standards then a Canadian-born Canadian.

I do, however, agree that landed immigrants should be deported if involved in any kind of criminal activity. Its the threat of deportation thats bringing some sense of normalcy back to Paris these days.

The question is - why shouldn't we be taking apart everyone's car at the border? We seem to be so concerned about terrorism, and yet how many people are killed each year by weapons smuggled through the border?

I guess some people are really soft on crime when it can inconvenience them.

AoD

Indeed, 30,000 Americans are killed each year due to handguns. Yet barely 2,000 Americans have been killed from terrorism EVER. It's pretty clear to me that priorities aren't in the right place (and yes, this applies in Canada too).

Would people that kill people with guns kill people with machetes or bats or poison if there were no guns? Some would, sure, but there's no reason to think murders wouldn't be reduced, and no reason to start by going after the shooters rather than the guns. At the very least, there'd be no more random shooting victims - who ever heard of a drive by knifing or a stray strangling?

i've met alot of people that are in wheelchairs because of guns. you can run away from a knife or a fist, but you can't run from a bullet.

so yes, guns show no mercy because if one decides to flee from a bad situation, they can't because of the unfair disadvantage of speed.

Admiral,

I find your post above to be offensive and potentially inciteful.

I would strongly advise you to keep your views on immigrants and minorities to yourself.
I'm not talking about minorities, I'm talking about immigrants like me, regardless of colour. If I'd gunned someone down, I would fully expect the Canadian government to chuck me in jail and when my sentence was up, send me on the first plane back to the UK. Okay, we can't do that for citizens, since even the country of origin would likely refuse them.

Enough about immigrants though...the majority of my post(s) above are on toughening up the security on the border and making jail times count. Let's leave talk of immigration alone, but how do I get these two topics to be potentially inciteful, since currently no one in power seems incited to do anything?

The question is - why shouldn't we be taking apart everyone's car at the border? We seem to be so concerned about terrorism, and yet how many people are killed each year by weapons smuggled through the border?
I know you're speaking tongue in cheek, but even that wouldn't stop the guns, since you can simply walk or boat across the border in many parts of Canada.

Honestly, I don't think we can stop the inflow of guns, so we instead need to go hard after those that use them criminally.

I'm not talking about minorities, I'm talking about immigrants like me, regardless of colour. If I'd gunned someone down, I would fully expect the Canadian government to chuck me in jail and when my sentence was up, send me on the first plane back to the UK. Okay, we can't do that for citizens, since even the country of origin would likely refuse them.

Enough about immigrants though...the majority of my post(s) above are on toughening up the security on the border and making jail times count. Let's leave talk of immigration alone, but how do I get these two topics to be potentially inciteful, since currently no one in power seems incited to do anything?

And no I don't care if the criminal came to Canada as a toddler and became a criminal on Canada's watch. Jamaica and other crimimal supply states will complain, but tough luck mahn. Second, anyone else who can't be deported and who uses a gun in a crime in Canada should be locked away, without parole for the maximum of their sentence. It's not perfect, since when they finally get our of jail, they'll be new issues, but we need the strictest penalties to be enforced.

Sounds pretty specific to me.

Back