News   Jul 22, 2024
 79     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 856     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 513     0 

"The thing about guns is they show no mercy," David Miller

How about banning handguns and severe penalties for smuggling/illegally trading them?

They should hit the problem from every angle.

A ban on handguns would be about as effective as the war on drugs. Where there is demand, there will always be supply. I do agree that gun smugglers should do hard time too though.

The demand for murders is much more stable than the demand for guns. Even if a ban prevented only 2 or 3 murders in Toronto every year, that's still a significant number. Obviously it should be accompanied by other measures like trying to stop guns from coming across the border, but why on earth wouldn't we have some sort of ban?

That whole Adam and Eve family was really screwed up. Maybe apples aren't so healthy after all?

That whole Adam and Eve family was really screwed up. Maybe apples aren't so healthy after all?

isn't apples street slang for crack? ;)

There you go!

So it's all downhill like the psycho preachers say it is?

A ban on handguns would be about as effective as the war on drugs. Where there is demand, there will always be supply. I do agree that gun smugglers should do hard time too though.

Yet another false analogy; production of guns, with the need for precision machining isn't something one can do in a basement, and as a result the supply chain starts off with legitimate producers that can be regulated with relative ease. In addition, legislation banning guns have proven to be quite effective in reducing general access across quite a number of jurisdictions, thus with a proportional effect on overall rate of gun violence.

Video priacy would have been a far more appropriate comparison to drugs than guns, both with multiple unregulated production centres, distribution routes and relative ease of transactions.

AoD

production of guns, with the need for precision machining isn't something one can do in a basement, and as a result the supply chain starts off with legitimate producers that can be regulated with relative ease.AoD
Really? Okay, let's plan our get-a-gun weekend.

Friday, July 25
- meet at 7:00am at C.W. Jeffries Collegiate Institute, 340 Sentinel Road (Keele & Finch), Toronto, ON
- Hired tour bus leaves at 7:30am sharp, please be on time.
- 1090km and about 12 hours later, arrive in Norfolk, Virginia.
- Hotel accomondation and dinner provided

Saturday, July 26 - group attends the THE ANNUAL VIRGINIA GOSPEL SHOWCASE in Norfolk, VA http://www.gatministries.org/showcase.html
- Please ensure to collect lots of brochures and literature, posters, etc.

Sunday, July 27 - group travels to 192 km north to Chantilly, VA to attend "The Nations Gun Show", http://www.cegunshows.com/Chantillynations.htm which will will feature 500 exhibitors selling modern firearms, knives, ammo and accessories.
- Purchase your firearms. If you have too many to carry, our guide will help return them to your hotel room.
- Please kindly refer to the insert in your tour guide, courtesy of http://www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=va#sns providing the restriction on gun purchasing at shows, as follows:

SECONDARY SALES (GUN SHOWS)
Are background checks required on 'private' gun sales? No state requirement that criminal background checks be done on people buying firearms at gun shows, swap meets or through newspaper or internet advertisements. Criminal background checks are only required if the buyer goes to a federally-licensed gun store - all other sales are not subject to the background check.

SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIALS
No state restriction on the sale of Saturday night specials or "junk" handguns. No requirement that handguns meet any safety tests such as a drop-safety test or a firing-performance test. No restriction on the sale of snub-nosed handguns that are very small and easy to conceal.

Monday, July 29, early AM depart for Toronto, arriving at border by 6pm.
- Please have all firearms packed in the two large suitcases provided by group leader. Remember to put your name tag on your gun for distribution later. These two suit cases will be packed at the far back seat of the bus, underneath additional religious material.
- Please wear suit and tie on bus for return journey, remove any bandanas
- Please have your items from the THE ANNUAL VIRGINIA GOSPEL SHOWCASE visible in aisles. Have best dressed women and gentlemen at front of bus, holding bibles, etc.
- Advise Canada Customs that your group was on a religious awakening tour to the THE ANNUAL VIRGINIA GOSPEL SHOWCASE.

Monday, July 29, evening. Return to C.W. Jeffries Collegiate Institute, firearms distributed.

Adm. Beez:

Note that all those points of origin are where legislative restrictions are most effective - i.e. distribution through legitimate businesses. Which is one reason why there are so much fewer gun related deaths in Canada and elsewhere.

Interesting you should use an example where the lack of firm legislation resulting in a negative policy outcome as a reason against gun control.

AoD

Interesting you should use an example where the lack of firm legislation resulting in a negative policy outcome as a reason against gun control.AoD
I am fully in support of gun control, especially hand guns. My point of the above is to demonstrate that any hope of controlling illegal guns in Canada per "the (gun) supply chain's legitimate producers that can be regulated with relative ease." is illfounded as long as my bus tour can cross the border, buy guns legitimately and return to Canada without great fear of being caught.

Odd that you demonstrate your support of gun control by trotting out the old lie of the handgun lobby that gun control is ineffective for whatever manufactured reason.

Odd that you demonstrate your support of gun control by trotting out the old lie of the handgun lobby that gun control is ineffective for whatever manufactured reason.
Gun control is not ineffective, and I've said as much above. It will stop those guns that are stolen from legal gunowners. It will not stop guns being brought across the border, which IIRC is the greatest source of illegal guns in Toronto and Canada.

I've always been very strongly in support of strict control of guns in Canada and outright ban of handguns. In addition to controlling the legal supply, I have suggested here that we also concentrate on stopping the import of guns and most importantly, going after the criminal shooters, since the supply of shooters is far less than the supply of guns, and thus statisically the odds are better. That said, again, I state here and now, ban all hand gun sales in Canada, now.

As I've stated in this thread...
By all means ban the sale of handguns in Canada. It won't stop much in the illegal trade of guns, but perhaps it might slow it down.

I am fully in support of gun control, especially hand guns.
Andrea, I've said here that I support control of legal guns, stricter sentences and better border controls, all as part of a greater gun control measure, what more can I say?

I'm sure your support for gun control is just as strong as your support for linguistic and racial minorities. You've made any number of posts here that show just how credible you are when you claim to support something.

Back