News   Jul 30, 2024
 654     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 613     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I think that when it is done, nighttime will be really cool to see.

It should become a destination then, especially with the AMC etc right there.

Looking forward to this.

when i see how inefficient it appears to be to build around and on top of the existing parking garage and i look at the metropolis floorplans and see how hard it is going to be to lease out the units on the lowest two levels, i find it hard to believe that an arrangement couldn't have been made to bulldoze the parking garage when the rest of the site was demolished, dig down 3 stories over the entire site and make the lowest two levels into parking.
victoria and gould could have been given an entrance to metropolis providing the campus with direct subway access.
i doubt anyone with ryerson foresaw the 30 year delay getting this thing started, the bookstore could have been relocated temporarily.

^But there would have been riots if they had closed down Tim Hortons!

If Sheldon Levy became Ryerson's president a few years earlier the parking garage might be gone today. He has been quoted saying that if not for the cost he would have liked to see the parking garage go.

Even though the parking garage is very anti-urban, it serves Ryerson very well. Every afternoon there's a big traffic jam of night course students' cars trying to get a space in the garage. I think a lot of visitors to the campus, such as guest lecturers, also use the garage.

i spent a great deal of time in the square this afternoon and i have to say the following:

metropolis construction is rolling along at a strong pace

the building's massing is just huge, and it is going to have an amazing impact on the square.

the square is absolutely buzzing with activity. when metropolis opens and the theatre and retail crowds are out this place will be so full of energy.

i really cannot wait to see the square and surrounding environs in ten years, by which time the area will have had some time to settle into itself and begin to evolve.

oh, and i think it's only a matter of time before the south-east corner of the atrium on bay is plastered with ads of some sort-perfect spot for it.

that's it

As far as I know there is also an active possibility that the south side of the square will see the construction of a new high-rise in the medium term, incorporating the façade of one of the older buildings there currently. None of this is for sure though, but there have been rumours. Anyone else know about this?

are you referring to the HNR buildings? i remember having heard rumours of a hotel being constructed on the Hakim Optical and the adjacent lot, but i don't recall anything about the buildings on the south side.

Thanks to those who posted some of those asian streetscape pictures. That is basically what I was talking about in terms of arguing that far from Metropolis being suburban, it is more hyper urban in concept. I also feel that the site is inappropriate for an institutional land use where we would more likely see some interesting architecture but which would almost certainly deaden the vibrancy of the location. A compromise use would be some kind of urban department store, a retail format that is not particularly in fashion at the moment. I was in Scandinavia in the fall where the department store seems to be more importan then here in Canada. A city like Stockholm has quite a number of department stores in the downtown core but also anchoring inner city neighbourhoods as well.

Interesting photo posted originally on SSC. It shows Metropolis as well as the crane for RoCP.

I guess RoCP 3 will poke up from behind the Eaton Centre towers from this perspective.

147311666_5e67e2ea68_b.jpg

Steel framing now attaching onto the east elevator shaft, everything is coming together now:

152106019_c5a55a99af.jpg

Oh.. remember the times when we'd spot somebody clearing some trash from the site and we'd get our hopes up ... only to be dashed when no construction came to fruition.

*Sheds a tear*

Back