News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 609     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 294     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
What makes some people think downtowners aren't going to use Metropolis or shop there?

I live downtown and I'll certainly use the theatres and I'm sure that when I'm in the Yonge-Dundas area that I'll pop into the food court every now and then. The restaurant patios above Yonge St. certainly look appealing.

While most would agree the design itself is lacking - the actual entertainment/commerical land-use and retail facilities are perfectly suited for Yonge and Dundas. And people living downtown will spend money at Metropolis. Same goes for Best Buy and Canadian Tire down the street.

Why is there some kind of urban myth that urbanites won't eat, shop or be entertained at similar establishments as suburbanites (in an urban format of course)?

Future Mayor, it's not that they'll drive all the way downtown just to eat at a chain restaurant, but hey while they're here shopping they might as well enjoy some food at one of the fine quality establishments they can eat at in the burbs.

And Mike, just because I don't know anybody doesn't mean I don't think some urbanites won't be in there. The people I know tend to avoid places like that.

I agree with Mike in TO. Regardless of whether we're urbanites or suburbanites, people are interested in doing similar things. It just comes down to ease of access and proximity to where you live. I'll check out Metropolis when it opens out of curiosity if nothing else.

Why is there some kind of urban myth that urbanites won't eat, shop or be entertained at similar establishments as suburbanites

Because, damnit, we are too sophisicated. :rolleyes

I shop at the Eaton's Centre on occasion, when I can't find something close to home (Yonge and St. Clair) or further south in the Path close to my office. I've even been known to go to the Red Lobster in the Atrium, and I also go down to Paramount to watch movies.

The only thing that might cause the locals to stay away would be the crowds of tourists. If the place becomes crowded with tourists like Times Square, then I could see locals staying away. But if there is still enough space to walk around without running into the back of some fat American staring at the "big TV on the side of the buildin'", then I think the locals will still come.

I'm not sure why anybody would think this project would be good for Toronto. I just don't get it. Unless TO is planning a media blitz that will surpass NYC then this project will forever be relegated to a mini-version of the big markets.

additional movie theatres for our cinema starved downtown core

Cinema starved downtown core? What with multiple screens at Richmond and John, Front & Market and on Carlton, the downtown core is not starved of movies for anyone interested in movies.

I'll try the AMC cinemas, but if they are full of people talking through L. Ron Cruise movies I won't try them twice.

And Mike, just because I don't know anybody doesn't mean I don't think some urbanites won't be in there. The people I know tend to avoid places like that.

I agree - I know plenty of people who will avoid the place - but it is a big city and I have no doubt that it will be a busy place and therefore a success (although some of those spaces deep underground seem to be a bit odd to me - maybe that club idea would work if city by-laws would permit it).

I live downtown and I shop on Younge at Dundas all the time, as a matter of fact, I frequently walk over with my neighbours, so what's this about downtowners wont shop there. lol As for needing more theatres, I agree. Have you guys ever been to Market Square or Carlton Cinemas, it's like watching a movie on a large screen tv. I go to them but much prefer the BIG SCREEN experience, so I will definatly see movies there. Hey, what's wrong with tourists? I've happily shared my bed with many a visiting tourist, so I kinda have a soft spot for horny tourists!

I shop at Yonge and Dundas as well. There's more than just the Eaton Centre there!

Sure. I shop at the Gap and HMV as much as the next person.

No point in buying electronics now. The Metropolis features a much larger TV than I could ever afford. I'll just go down to Dundas Square to watch TV now.

Reality check: We should all kiss the big backside of that American tourist. They are so rare these days! Also, if it weren't for 905ers visiting and spending their money here we'd likely be much more of a typical American city, a dead core with thriving satellite burbs.

Say what you want about the billboards, but to say that Torontonians won't use this place is just wrong. I will most certainly use it. For me, living near Broadview station, I go down to the Eaton Centre and that general area all the time to go shopping. At fifteen minutes door to door, nothing can compete as far as convenience goes. Right now I go to Paramount to watch movies, but would gladly switch to Yonge and Dundas if there was something there.

As far as I'm concerned, the more they stuff in there the better. Convenience is key. We should want to centralize these things. It's good for the health of downtown, it's good for transit use and it's good for tourism because it keeps it "happening" (which is a big reason people come to a big city).

I used to live in Osaka, Japan and they have a "public square" of sorts that acts as a meeting place for tourists and locals alike. Everyone is so worried about Toronto "trying" to be like other places. I don't see it like that at all. Loads of cities have these kinds of spaces and they aren't copying anyone. Times Square is probably the most famous one in the Western world, but that doesn't mean that all the other ones are copies of it.

Here's Osaka's "Dotonbori" area. There is a famous bridge here that is a meeting place and a place to people watch. The whole area is alive 24/7.

Back