News   May 10, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.9K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
It's interesting that you mention Japan. Others have mentioned the relation to Asian hyper-urban centres in this thread, and I have to say that it is this comparison that I see the most appeal in, when it comes to Yonge-Dundas.

Calling it fake is easy, but not very accurate. Teens from all over the city have been coming here to shop and hang out, and it has been an area packed with neon, and various types of retail for a long time.

While I don't much care for the whole "Times Square" vibe, with the requisite family-oriented chain restaurants and big stores, I see Yonge-Dundas as a more organic shopping/entertainment area, with something for everyone, with a vibe reminiscent of similar neighbourhoods in Asia.

It reminds me a bit of Shibuya in Tokyo, and it's exciting to think we may have an area with similar over-the-top vibrancy here in a few years...

shibuya-9.jpg

It would be nice to see pedestrian crossing as large as Shibuya in Tokyo.

853660-Shibuya_crossing-Tokyo.jpg

Right now the pedestrian street crossing at Yonge and Dundas are overcrowded.

An update about Metropolis is on pcl's website,

"Current Status (as of May 2, 2006):
The team achieved the Structural Steel start date milestone of April 17th. The six months of safe work award was given out the workers on site. Concrete structure is complete up to Level 4. Structural steel was erected for Levels 5 and 6 starting on April 17th. Metal deck began on L5 and 6 on May 1st. Hand-dug caisson work is progressing in the existing Ryerson Parkade. Blockwall work commenced on April 10th. Mechanical and electrical trades continued their installations below grade risers."

Source: PCL

Those pics above show that stunning architecture is not a requirement for these sorts of districts. Bring on the cheese... I'm looking forward to it.

Agreed. Architecture has so little to do with it if its properly covered with cheese. Unfortunately, the Torch has demonstrated that the grade of cheese is not that high (and backlit signs are only so interesting....well, they are not interesting at all) and the architecture that does show through, can be horrible (stained concrete anyone?).

Here's hoping that there will be lots of glitz and neon/electronic charm. This will save the less than praiseworthy architecture.

Cinema starved downtown core? What with multiple screens at Richmond and John, Front & Market and on Carlton, the downtown core is not starved of movies for anyone interested in movies.

The Carlton is a horrible theatre. You show up 20 minutes early and 5 minutes after the lights dim a 5'9" person sits in front of you and you can't see anything. The floor is almost flat and the screens are tiny. The place needs to be gutted.

The Paramount is too far away for me. It takes me 45 mins to get there and I'm not going there on a Friday night if it's raining. Front & Market, not a great theatre.

Cumberland is okay.

The only convenient modern theatre is the Varsity but it's overwhelmed with people because it is the only convenient modern theatre on or east of Yonge, and on or south of Bloor.

Downtown needs this AMC badly.

The Carlton is a horrible theatre as is the Rainbow, they only succeed by showing art house films or discounting tickets prices respectively. While both are useful, the core could certainly use another major destination like the Varsity and Paramount west of Yonge (barely.)
It will certainly help activate the square.

You say "art house film" as if it were a shameful thing. Not everyone wants to watch hollywood pap. Again, somepeople go to the movies to see what's on the screen, not to play video games and scarf nachos.

this new AMC and the carlton are two completely different movie going experiences, and any comparison between the two is for the most part pointless. the Carlton serves a very specific purpose, (as does Cumberland,) and thank goodness for it/them.

but I was actually thinking - though much bigger, (by a long shot,) I feel like in some ways this AMC is taking the place of the old Uptown in that it's bringing back a theatre to Yonge st. I miss that place. I used to love coming out of that theatre after a late show and just going for a walk along yonge st. it was great. and I know the Varsity is not even two blocks away, and it's a great theatre, but for some reason it just was never the same.
I think this AMC complex will bring some of the vitality only a bigger theatre can provide back to this strip.

(and I will certainly do my part by watching M:I:IIII in it.)

I'm not going to see MI3, even though I enjoy a movie that has good explosions as much as anyone, just because I refuse to fund the Tom Cruise crazy train any morem

Drove by this last night, it's really coming along rapidly now!...here's some some higher res pics posted by Batman Can over at SSC, what we can look forward to:

ttrytr6tx.jpg

rete6tw.jpg

rertete6ri.jpg

rrete3gs.jpg

I'm certainly not dissing art house films. I'm just saying that it is because of the popularity of indie films that Carlton survives. If it showed standard Hollwood fare it would be long gone, like the old Eaton Centre Cinemas.

Re: the area not being used by locals and only for tourists, I disagree. I live a few minutes away and I enjoy the buzz and energy of the area... I'll often sit in the square, have a drink or snack and enjoy the vibe.

Those renderings focus on the ads. They're floating in mid air with a flat gray background with no texture.

The skin of the building is anyone's guess. Mine is that it will have the same grey panels as the Olympic Spirit Centre.

Back