News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 591     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 868     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
The facade will evolve over time. Sometimes the signage will be complementary and perhaps at other times not. They may decide in the future to add the fins and things or maybe not. Point is the facade of the building is dynamic. Recall it was some time after the billboards went up on the south side of the square that they added those rocket thingies. People seem far to concerned when analysing buildings with the concept of completion. Buildings are never complete nor is it desirable in my opinion for them to obtain a final completed state of being. True once a building is built new it may be some time before human initiative gets around to transforming it into it's next incarnation but in this instance the entire purpose of the facade is it's ability to change.

That's my point. - A building that was very bland, became somewhat interesting with modifications made over time.

I'm pretty sure the same will happen to Metropolis.

Remove the advertising and the Atrium on Bay would revert immediately to being pretty awful. I can't think why I didn't include it on my list of buildings I would like to see destroyed. I recall when it was first built that the architect claimed that if one were to lay on one's side, the building would look quite deco. I think that is when I first realized that being an architect doesn't necessarily require great intelligence.

Remove the advertising and the Atrium on Bay would revert immediately to being pretty awful. I can't think why I didn't include it on my list of buildings I would like to see destroyed. I recall when it was first built that the architect claimed that if one were to lay on one's side, the building would look quite deco. I think that is when I first realized that being an architect doesn't necessarily require great intelligence.

What is the design precedent for an office-mall combo building? None comes to mind off the top of my head.

What is the design precedent for an office-mall combo building? None comes to mind off the top of my head.

TD Centre, FCP, Commerce Court, RBC, 2 Bloor West to name a few.

I've always had a hate-on for mirrored glass (personal bias) and I thought the way that the underhang reflected the gravel on the podium roof was ill conceived. Now if they should decided to cover the whole building with advertising, I would be mollified somewhat, especially if it were neon.

The Eaton centre.

Yes, I was thinking this too, but from jaborandi's post it seemed the exterior was his major issue with the Atrium on Bay.

TD Centre, FCP, Commerce Court, RBC, 2 Bloor West to name a few.

2 Bloor West? - Most people on the forum would probably disagree. I happen to agree with you, in that it is not a bad interpetation of a dual focused building. The remaining buildings seem more office tower than mall. I was thinking Don Mills Centre, Yonge Eglinton Centre or Lawrence Square as being a similar concept to the Atrium on Bay.

I've always had a hate-on for mirrored glass (personal bias) and I thought the way that the underhang reflected the gravel on the podium roof was ill conceived. Now if they should decided to cover the whole building with advertising, I would be mollified somewhat, especially if it were neon.

Isn't it odd how the Atrium has Neon and Metropolis doesn't...it's so wierd.

With regard to the above, both the Eaton Centre, The Atrium on Bay and 2 Bloor West have evolved over time, and I believe the Metropolis building will as well. Expect bigger and better things from it in the future. Of course that's just my opinion.

I was sitting at Dundas Square yesterday facing west and thought it'd be really cool if the Atrium on Bay had a huge video board display mounted to the south-east corner on the roof tilting down a bit to face the square. Something that would rival the screen on Toronto Life Square.

Back