News   Jul 16, 2024
 694     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 606     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 747     2 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Well i'm surprised. I was expecting something like this:

Metropolis.jpg

now we're getting this:
tlsbigrv7.jpg

Rather underwhelming no?

You didn't actually expect it to actually look like the first pic, did you? I'm not at all surprised at the cheap result. Canadian companies are too cheap to splurge on quality signage.

I actually like the new rendering more. I don't know if it's the giant Ronald McDonald head, but the old one looks like a nightmare. The new one looks a tad more refined and, like Yorked said, a bit more sophisticated (but only a little).

But the two pictures are nearly identical! It's practically a spot-the-difference kids' exercise.

1) there are windows, not ads, next to the fake fans
2) the ornamental advertising around the roofline is mostly gone
3) the advertising on the right hand side does not descend as far, and
3) the second pictures is an altered photograph, based in what we call the real world, not the rendered one. Here in the real world:

3.1) Indoor spaces do not glow bright orange through the windows, even in broad daylight.
3.2) The building does not jut out of the ground with a strange trapesoidal skew.
3.3) Everything does not suffer from a surreal colour saturation, though that always depends on what kind of glasses you're wearing.

how can you say that it's nearly the same?! unless i'm not sensing the sarcasm in the previous posts, i'm just shocked how anyone can call the updated rendering better.... it's stripped of all things decorative (less the fugly fans which were installed prior to this new rendering). it now looks so sterile and unexciting.

I'm going with my gut in feeling that the new rendering isn't exactly accurate since it's incomplete:

The light tube on the right isn't finished in this rendering and in fact plenty of parts on the building are incomplete. I think this is just to more or less show how these ads will fit on to the building.

I think we'll see some sort of roof elements. I say this because the tri-vision ad doesn't have any lights over it. As far as I know, they don't make transparency/backlit tri-vision signs. These are usually lit from above and/or below.

In the "Ronald McDonald rendering", the roof element holds the lighting for this sign.

I'm going with my gut in feeling that the new rendering isn't exactly accurate since it's incomplete:

The light tube on the right isn't finished in this rendering and in fact plenty of parts on the building are incomplete. I think this is just to more or less show how these ads will fit on to the building.

I think we'll see some sort of roof elements. I say this because the tri-vision ad doesn't have any lights over it. As far as I know, they don't make transparency/backlit tri-vision signs. These are usually lit from above and/or below.

In the "Ronald McDonald rendering", the roof element holds the lighting for this sign.
Or they could just install the lights without a roof element.

Actually, the more I think about it, I think that Toronto LIFE would veto any sign being bigger or higher up than theirs which is probably why we don't see the big custom designed Coca-Cola sign or the huge Panasonic roof top element from previous renderings implemented in this new one.

If anything, AMC would have the only valid argument in placing a large sign on the top of the building, simply due to their huge commitment in this building.

I think the new rendering looks alot better aswell, the old one just looked silly not exciting, it looked embarrassing, the new one looks less cheesy, more realistic, also i think the new video screen looks far from boring or dull, its a very big high quility screen. the old rendering looked like an ugly cheesy little kidish cartoonish goofy over the top silly clownin cheap flashy thing made into a mutated building/bill board highbread.

The lack of any of the rooftop elements makes the building in the new rendering appear very dull. It looks like a condo with giant Macleans magazines stuck on the side of it. Thumbs down to this crap-ass, boring redesign.

Gotta say - I like the new rendering more as well. I was never really a fan of all the tacked on thingy's in the first design.

Actually, the more I think about it, I think that Toronto LIFE would veto any sign being bigger or higher up than theirs which is probably why we don't see the big custom designed Coca-Cola sign or the huge Panasonic roof top element from previous renderings implemented in this new one.

If anything, AMC would have the only valid argument in placing a large sign on the top of the building, simply due to their huge commitment in this building.

Huh? Almost every sign is bigger and more prominant than the Toronto Life signs. Why would a 'higher' sign be an issue.

The reason we do not see any roof elements is because they never really intended for those elements, attempted to lease them out or ask the city for permission to have them.

For anyone concerned about the latest rendering regarding the TLS, I'll say this, the building will evolve over time. Look at the Atrium on Bay...it started out rather bland, but now it's not so bad, and is almost as ad filled as Metropolis. ( maybe more) - We should expect Metropolis to refine itself over the years, with better and more eye-catching displays.

A funny thing I was thinking about just now...

The Atrium on Bay has 2 video screens, Metropolis will only have 1 video screen; and the Atrium on Bay was never designed to be an ad filled building. It just evolved into what it is due to its location at the heart of Yonge and Dundas. Expect similar things to happen with the TLS building over time..more ads, better ads and a more refined fit into the overall media square concept.

Back