News   Jul 15, 2024
 580     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 741     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 599     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Isn't Interesting how Picadilly Circus with only 1 building covered with ads is so recogonized around the world as a Media Square, when Dundas Square with every building at the Y-D intersection covered in ads, doesn't come off with the same type of sophiscated style? Still I do like how Yonge-Dundas Square overwhelms the visual senses with its uniquely Toronto style (Yonge St) tackiness.

That last picture shows how the signage will completely transform this building.

Nonetheless, I don't like the mullions on the windows closest to Yonge St. (near the fake fans) the other side near Victoria is so much nicer with no vertical mullions on the glazing.

Regardless, the rendering shows that these windows will be covered over with movie poster lightboxes and once all the stores are populated with items, people, lights, signs of their own, the building will come into its own.

Do we have an updated timeline? Stores should open in time for the Christmas shopping season and we can tell that probably the signage will be up in the fall or are they only adding signs according to demand? That lonely Super Bad poster is probably all that they've sold so far.

I'm sure if they just focused on movie posters, they would sell out of all their space all the time. Look at the Eaton Centre and B-Artium Media Towers Across the street. There is probably sufficent demand for advertising movies to keep the sales reps at PenEquity busy for some time. However this would make the building a bit bland. But that's just my feeling, and you never know they might go with a Movie Advertising motif as the building's anchor tenant is a Movie Theatre.

Isn't Interesting how Picadilly Circus with only 1 building covered with ads is so recogonized around the world as a Media Square, when Dundas Square with every building at the Y-D intersection covered in ads, doesn't come off with the same type of sophiscated style?

Look at the quality of the ads and architecture at Piccadilly Circus... that's why it seems more 'sophisticated'.

Exactly; one can hardly wait for Metropolis/TorontoLife (whateverthehellitscalledthismonth) to be coated in ads in order to hide the architecture.

Isn't Interesting how Picadilly Circus with only 1 building covered with ads is so recogonized around the world as a Media Square, when Dundas Square with every building at the Y-D intersection covered in ads, doesn't come off with the same type of sophiscated style?

You are bang on.

Taken at 6.55 pm Sunday as crew stop working with 6 more section to be put in place.

1309017340_cf1f3bef77_b.jpg

Isn't Interesting how Picadilly Circus with only 1 building covered with ads is so recogonized around the world as a Media Square

because they removed them .. all that great architecture use to be hidden behind more ads then Dundas Square will ever see

The thing that struck me about Piccadilly when i was there last summer wasn't the cool ads, but both the architecture, which is just fantastic and the Eros statue that stands in the middle. Most tourists were taking pictures in front of the statue or it looked to be somewhat of a meeting place. While we can't replicate the architecture, I don't know why our squares are devoid of monuments like the Eros Statue.

Considering Toronto/Ontario/Canada's history, unless you travel down University and wander around Queens Park, you'll rarely ever see a statue dedicated to someone or something in a public space. The only one off the top of my head I can think of is the Alexander Wood (correct me if I got the name wrong) statue that sits on Church St.

If Dundas Square had a statue or monument as a centrepiece, it perhaps would take some of the attention away from all the ads, much as Eros has done for Piccadilly. It would also give Toronto a bit more of a visual history to take pride in or show off to tourists. Apparently London has so many monuments/statues, they don't know where to put them, while we here have a serious need for more.

ya I figured someone would mention the random art or the Peace Garden at NPS. What that sculpture says about Toronto though is beyond me. It just seems like a piece of filler art. Nothing purposeful that says anything about this city to people who visit.

I've always felt that the old Timothy Eaton statue from the original Eaton's store should be in the square and that the square should be named after him.

ya I figured someone would mention the random art or the Peace Garden at NPS. What that sculpture says about Toronto though is beyond me. It just seems like a piece of filler art. Nothing purposeful that says anything about this city to people who visit.
What does Eros say about London? Or at least, what does anyone care what it says? (Who's Lord Shaftesbury?) It might as well be "filler art" as well...

I'm not going to bother. You aren't contributing anything useful to this conversation. Do you have an opinion on this? Or do you think Dundas Square is fine the way it is? (or do you just go around being difficult?)

My point is we could use some public monuments/statues that portray the story of our city/province/country, which is something all great cities have (for reference, check out the pictures in the Philadelphia thread). What's your point exactly?

Back