News   Jul 15, 2024
 660     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 814     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 616     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I've a strong sense that things will move pretty fast now. Summer events are over so night time street closures are less invasive so signage should move swifter. With the Christmas buying season beginning less than two months away they'll be plugging away to get retail tenants up and running.

But then Winter's coming...meaning...they can't work much until next April...which raining will start meaning they won't work much...until summer which will have too many events...which mean they won't work much...until...

I've said it before but I like the idea of a few statues around the Yonge/Dundas area. Maybe one of Superman (a Toronto creation) or Mary Pickford (one of the first truly international superstars)...or what about Fay Ray (spelling?) sitting in the palm of King Kong. Hey, its' Yonge/Dundas and shouldn't be too serious!
How about a statue of Brian Linehan?

Talk about timing! They are installing the Pen Equity "art component" today.

sap.jpg

Not sure if it's going to be lit or not and it hasn't been named (rumour has it that the sculpture will be called Ode to Sapphire or just SAP for short).

haha, that's terrific! Good job.
8:30am posting? Hey 3d, did you stay up all night doing that?

I've said it before but I like the idea of a few statues around the Yonge/Dundas area. Maybe one of Superman (a Toronto creation) or Mary Pickford (one of the first truly international superstars)...or what about Fay Ray (spelling?) sitting in the palm of King Kong. Hey, its' Yonge/Dundas and shouldn't be too serious!

That's a good idea - make the area movie/entertainment themed with statues of Great Canadian Actors/entertainers. Then again.... maybe that would be best for the Filmport area. Right now there isnt much there, but once the Portlands develops into a series of "communities", sculptures of movie actors/characters would be a good addition. OR, maybe even the area around Bell Lightbox. Hmmmm....

While on that, and very off topic from this thread, I have always thought that John Street between Front and Queen needs to be re-developed as a main artery in the Entertainment District (it already is, sort of) with better street-life. This is a pretty important street for entertainment as it has the CBC, Bell Lightbox, restaurants, ScotiaBank Theatre (I shudder typing that...) and connections to many of the city's clubs. I know that the Canadian Walk of Fame is to go into the park behind Metro Hall, but it should have been moved to John Street. I would have liked to see the sidewalks on both sides of John covered in Hall of Fame plaques, statues of important movie characters and scenes at each intersection. The empty parking lots should be developed into more restaurant/event space. The entire street could have a canopy over it, much like the Strip in Las Vegas, that has light shows/images displayed on it at night. This would be a GREAT entranceway to the Bell Lightbox during the film fest.

Back to the topic at hand..... TLS -

3D - that is HILLARIOUS.

That's a good idea - make the area movie/entertainment themed with statues of Great Canadian Actors/entertainers. Then again.... maybe that would be best for the Filmport area. Right now there isnt much there, but once the Portlands develops into a series of "communities", sculptures of movie actors/characters would be a good addition. OR, maybe even the area around Bell Lightbox. Hmmmm....

While on that, and very off topic from this thread, I have always thought that John Street between Front and Queen needs to be re-developed as a main artery in the Entertainment District (it already is, sort of) with better street-life. This is a pretty important street for entertainment as it has the CBC, Bell Lightbox, restaurants, ScotiaBank Theatre (I shudder typing that...) and connections to many of the city's clubs. I know that the Canadian Walk of Fame is to go into the park behind Metro Hall, but it should have been moved to John Street. I would have liked to see the sidewalks on both sides of John covered in Hall of Fame plaques, statues of important movie characters and scenes at each intersection. The empty parking lots should be developed into more restaurant/event space. The entire street could have a canopy over it, much like the Strip in Las Vegas, that has light shows/images displayed on it at night. This would be a GREAT entranceway to the Bell Lightbox during the film fest.

Back to the topic at hand..... TLS -

3D - that is HILLARIOUS.

I fear it would look more like the strip in Niagara Falls. Celebrity statues are tacky as hell. Next thing you know, Metropolis' tenants will consist of Ripley's Believe It or Not, eight wax museums, and a haunted house.

I fear it would look more like the strip in Niagara Falls. Celebrity statues are tacky as hell. Next thing you know, Metropolis' tenants will consist of Ripley's Believe It or Not, eight wax museums, and a haunted house.

They don't have to be. I love the statue of Charley Chaplin in Leicester Square in London. Apparantly the pigeons do too!

Back