News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 543     0 

The seemingly terminal decline of Tim Hortons

I believe the 20 minute Always Fresh still stands, however with the new urns being large Thermoses, the "bottom of the pot" coffee cannot get burned like the old traditional pots sitting on a burner to keep warm. If your cup happened to come from a pot that was let's say 16 mins old it's still with in the 20 minutes fresh time, but that bottom of the pot has been sitting on a burner for 16 minutes.
When I was a shift-worker in the city, and long before Tim's or 24 fast food had really caught on, one of the places we would go in the middle of the night was to a business that supplied large fleets of catering trucks for construction sites, etc. When you get coffee and sandwiches made at an industrial scale, you get an understanding why they tasted like they did.

We might be amazed (saddened, revolted, etc.) how they eat. I mean, grits and sausage gravy? In their defence, a lot of their fast food coffee is worse than ours, but I still don't think I could do a pop for breakfast.

At least grits and sausage gravy is a bit of a historical thing; but drinking pop? Mind you our breakfast cereal is often just as bad, but this just throws even the pretense of a normal healthy breakfast completely out of the window.

AoD

Potentially bad news for Tim's.........

A new competitor in the fast food breakfast space, former owner, Wendy's.

Now I'm not sure I place any great faith in Wendy's to execute anything brilliant, doubtless I will not be their customer.
But if they manage a competitive offer, its almost certain to erode Tim's market share somewhat. Though, at ~400 locations across Canada, vs 4300 for Tim's, the latter will still have many markets where this does not represent an issue.

Article here from The Financial Post: https://financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/wendys-takes-on-tim-hortons-at-breakfast

One thing caught my attention in the article:

View attachment 381586

Speaking of Wendy's Coffee...

Potentially bad news for Tim's.........

A new competitor in the fast food breakfast space, former owner, Wendy's.

Now I'm not sure I place any great faith in Wendy's to execute anything brilliant, doubtless I will not be their customer.
But if they manage a competitive offer, its almost certain to erode Tim's market share somewhat. Though, at ~400 locations across Canada, vs 4300 for Tim's, the latter will still have many markets where this does not represent an issue.

Article here from The Financial Post: https://financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/wendys-takes-on-tim-hortons-at-breakfast

One thing caught my attention in the article:

View attachment 381586

It will only be bad news for Tim's if the coffee is good. It will be intresting to see what this new blend will be like, the current blend is 🤮 A&W has the best breakfast but the coffee is meh, it's just generic Van Houtte crap that's been sitting in pot too long. Wish they would get a better coffee blend.

It will only be bad news for Tim's if the coffee is good. It will be intresting to see what this new blend will be like, the current blend is 🤮 A&W has the best breakfast but the coffee is meh, it's just generic Van Houtte crap that's been sitting in pot too long. Wish they would get a better coffee blend.

A&W Breakfast is incredibly uneven - I had a great experience at one store and an awful one at another. Harvey's used to have it years ago with proper toast, eggs and breakfast meats too but they got out of the breakfast business since.

AoD

Harvey's used to have it years ago with proper toast, eggs and breakfast meats too but they got out of the breakfast business since.

AoD

I asked a contact who should know; why they exited the breakfast market.

I was told one word: Eggs

They did omelettes in a pan, to order.

It was popular, but marginally labour-intensive and apparently generated lots of complaints/returns/refunds because the egg was under/over as compared to the customer's preference.
I noted that diner line-cooks seems to be able to keep up with reasonable accuracy, and was told the company's business model did not allow for that measure of training or sufficient wages to retain said trained labour.

Take all that FWIW, as its not the official line, and I've never worked for them.

I asked a contact who should know; why they exited the breakfast market.

I was told one word: Eggs

They did omelettes in a pan, to order.

It was popular, but marginally labour-intensive and apparently generated lots of complaints/returns/refunds because the egg was under/over as compared to the customer's preference.
I noted that diner line-cooks seems to be able to keep up with reasonable accuracy, and was told the company's business model did not allow for that measure of training or sufficient wages to retain said trained labour.

Take all that FWIW, as its not the official line, and I've never worked for them.

Heard similar - breakfast is labour intensive. Not sure about the custom complaints over eggs part - but then again, I am not a super picky eater (especially when it comes to eggs).

AoD

I went to George Brown College for Food and Beverage Management and one of the Chefs there said breakfast is the hardest meal to prepare for others because everyone wants it to be exactly how their Mom made it, and that's practically an impossible task.

Tim's insists any news is good news; and any new product is.....

OMG is this ever an abomination............ LOL

1645718406117.png

Taken from their news release, here:

View attachment 381748

I doubt that Kawartha, Chapmans and the big players are lying awake at night.

View attachment 381748

They should have learned their lesson from the Cold Stone Creamery snafu and stay out of the ice cream business.

Back